Who thinks Aida was underrated?

silvio
#1Who thinks Aida was underrated?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 1:27pm

I think Elton John´s Aida with Heather Headly and Adam Pascal was one of the best musicals ever.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#2re: Who thinks Aida was underrated?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 1:30pm

It won four Tonys and ran for 1852 performances. In what language could that be 'underrated'?

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#2re: Who thinks Aida was underrated?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 1:32pm

are you in some way related to Roy or Walt?

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#3re: Who thinks Aida was underrated?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 1:33pm

Best Musicals? EVER?

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Funny Face Profile Photo
Funny Face
#4re: Who thinks Aida was underrated?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 1:37pm

If anything, I think it was a tad overrated. It was certainly enjoyable, but I was surprised when I found out how many Tony's it won and that it ran so long. I mean, how many ballads about unrequited/star-crossed love do you need in one musical?? That's all the second act consisted of. When I saw it, the performers were very good, and a lot of the numbers made an impression, but the story is very "by the book" and there's nothing really knock-out about it.
Updated On: 8/2/07 at 01:37 PM

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#5re: Who thinks Aida was underrated?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 1:39pm

Heather, Adam, and Sherie... Really miss that show !

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#6re: Who thinks Aida was underrated?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 1:47pm

"I mean, how many ballads about unrequited love do you need in one musical?? That's all the second act consisted of. When I saw it, the performers were very good, and a lot of the numbers made an impression, but the story is very "by the book" and there's nothing really knock-out about it. "

well, it is based on an operatic tragedy by Verdi, so there it is.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

#7re: Who thinks Aida was underrated?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 1:49pm

I think the issue here is that it won four Tonys and ran for 1852 performances- but wasn't nominated for Best Musical. Pretty well-trod ground, but always a popular topic.

Funny Face Profile Photo
Funny Face
#8re: Who thinks Aida was underrated?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 1:52pm

Yeah, I know that, but opera is very different kind of theater experience. People expect a predictable, melodramatic storyline when they see an opera. I think opera is far more about the music and grandeur and performances, at least that's what I always expect. When I see a musical I expect a little bit more in the story and characterization department.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#9re: Who thinks Aida was underrated?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 1:53pm

Of the three Disney stage musicals I have seen, it is the one I enjoyed the most. Seeing Mermaid in 2 weeks and I am sure Aida will still be the one I like the most.

Just give the world Love.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#10re: Who thinks Aida was underrated?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 1:54pm

The critics had a FIELD DAY with this one.
Updated On: 8/2/07 at 01:54 PM

Bwayfan4
#11re: Who thinks Aida was underrated?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 2:05pm

I only saw the tour of Aida, not the Broadway production, and I wasn't blown away by any means. Was it horrible? No. Was it the best musical I have ever seen? No.

SporkGoddess
#12re: Who thinks Aida was underrated?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 2:31pm

Verdi's opera also didn't have ten thousand love ballads. Hahaha.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#13re: Who thinks Aida was underrated?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 2:49pm

It one Best Score because two of the year's nominated best musicals were jukebox musicals.

I, personally, would have given Marin Mazzie the Tony that year, but I understand Headley's win.

I would say that the biggest Tony snub for AIDA was not Best Musical, but a lack of a nod for Sherrie Rene Scott.

Deborah Yates and Ann Hampton Callaway should have been replaced with Scott and Amy Spanger from KISS ME KATE or Scott and Ruthie Henshall for PUTTING IT TOGETHER.

Updated On: 8/2/07 at 02:49 PM

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#14re: Who thinks Aida was underrated?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 2:51pm

Who thinks this thread is pointless?

Just jk.

I mean in madbrian's words

"It won four Tonys and ran for 1852 performances. In what language could that be 'underrated'?"

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#15re: Who thinks Aida was underrated?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 2:53pm

It's nice to listen to but I found it so boring in the theatre. I don't see how it won best score that year.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Julian2
#16re: Who thinks Aida was underrated?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 2:53pm

I don't think its underrated or overrated. I think its generally regaurded as a good musical. Not Sweeney, not Tarzan.

Isn't one of the theories that it won Best Score because LaChiusa split the vote with himself?

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#17re: Who thinks Aida was underrated?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 3:49pm

I'm still surprised it was snubbed a Best Musical nod, but more surpirised Sherie was not nominated being that she was praised for her role and it's the role that really got her career going...It's one of my favorite musicals, but I don't think it's THE best musical ever...

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#18re: Who thinks Aida was underrated?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 3:54pm

I always wonder how it beat The Wild Party for score.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#19re: Who thinks Aida was underrated?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 3:56pm

I don't know. I think... as I remember it, I probably do believe that it was underrated. But, I probably remember it as better than it actually was. I loved it, but certainly do not think it was one of the best musicals ever, or even close. At the same time, though, I think that many of the critics were unnecessarily harsh.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

LostLeander
#20re: Who thinks Aida was underrated?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 3:58pm

I think it remains the worst Broadway show I've seen out of the 40 or so that I've seen. Except perhaps the Les Mis revival.

I think it's poorly written, particularly the book.

Granted, I saw it nearer to its closing, and I'm sure the show was tighter, and better with a GREAT actress like Headley, but when I saw it, it was sloppy, lazy, lifeless, and pretty boring.

I did see Pascal though, and I thought he was fairly bad.

I like the score, though. But the show needs a FIERCE actress (and singer) in the title role to make up for the inconsistencies in the book, and blind the audience with her radiant fierceness.

Personally, I think I have too much bloom.

EganFan2
#21re: Who thinks Aida was underrated?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 4:24pm

>>>how many ballads about unrequited love do you need in one musical?? That's all the second act consisted of.

My thoughts exactly! I thought, "Enough already! We GET that you can't hook up with each other, we GET that Mr. Hot Stuff is ignoring the Princess, we GET that Aida is torn between love and duty.

The music is well done, it just repeats far too darn much and the story is really cobbled together.

The Boy From Ohio Profile Photo
The Boy From Ohio
#22re: Who thinks Aida was underrated?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 4:39pm

I saw it twice on tour. I loved it, but I'm a sucker for a love ballad. Plus it was really pretty to look at.

9/10 - Next To Normal, Ensemble Theatre
9/18 - Brian Stokes Mitchell, Cincy Pop's
9/28 - Death Of A Salesman, Wright State
Updated On: 8/2/07 at 04:39 PM

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#23re: Who thinks Aida was underrated?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 4:44pm

I haven't seen it, but i have the cast recording. It's a great score, for the most part. "How I Know You" is one of the best songs I've ever heard.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#24re: Who thinks Aida was underrated?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 4:50pm

"I, personally, would have given Marin Mazzie the Tony that year, but I understand Headley's win. "

I agree with that as well.

I think it may be a bit underrated. People may have disregarded it for being a Disney musical. It's not based off of anything but the name Disney turns a lot of people off.

Videos