pixeltracker

Who should play Eve Harrington opposite Christine Ebersole's Margo Channing?- Page 2

Who should play Eve Harrington opposite Christine Ebersole's Margo Channing?

mattonstage Profile Photo
mattonstage
#25re: Who should play Eve Harrington opposite Christine Ebersole's Margo Chan
Posted: 8/4/07 at 12:35am

I love Christine, but I'd really love to see Kelly Bishop make a return to the stage as Margo. And I have to agree with Anne Hathaway as Eve.

I killed the boss, you don't think they're gonna fire me over a thing like that!!!!

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#26re: Who should play Eve Harrington opposite Christine Ebersole's Margo Chan
Posted: 8/4/07 at 12:39am

I'd love to see Kelly Bishop back on stage too, mattonstage, but I'm looking forward to seeing Christine as Margo Channing. I think she'll be great. And yes, it'd be nice to see Erin Davie as Eve.

Flaunt It
#28re: Who should play Eve Harrington opposite Christine Ebersole's Margo Chan
Posted: 8/4/07 at 8:37am

RUTHIE HENSHALL needs to be Eve!

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#29re: Who should play Eve Harrington opposite Christine Ebersole's Margo Chan
Posted: 8/4/07 at 10:56am

Ruthie Henshall is basically old enough to play Margo. She's no Eve at this point.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#31re: Who should play Eve Harrington opposite Christine Ebersole's Margo Chan
Posted: 8/5/07 at 12:15am

This should be a coveted role.
Laura Bell Bundy comes to mind,
remember she has to appear innocent and turn into a Monster.
Maybe Ashley Brown should do it and change her image.
Updated On: 8/5/07 at 12:15 AM

Funny Face Profile Photo
Funny Face
#32re: Who should play Eve Harrington opposite Christine Ebersole's Margo Chan
Posted: 8/5/07 at 12:16am

I think to have someone like Kelli O'hara play Eve would just be weird. I know its ACTING but I would distracted watching someone as sucessful as Kelli in a role like that.

Huh??

So let me get this straight, because she is already a well-known stage actress you would be distracted by her playing someone who isn't?

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#33re: Who should play Eve Harrington opposite Christine Ebersole's Margo Chan
Posted: 8/5/07 at 11:43am

I know-that logic really had me scratching my head as well.
I like the idea of someone like Laura Bell Bundy, who will still be in "Legally Blonde," I believe.
I like the idea of bringing Erin Davie as Eve. (interesting dynamic)
I agree with Leigh Ann Larkin as well-she's very good
Kelly O'Hara will be busy with South Pacific, but I agree with her as well.
And Christine Ebersole will be fierce in this role. I think she's going to surprise all detractors on this one.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

teka21
#34re: Who should play Eve Harrington opposite Christine Ebersole's Margo Chan
Posted: 8/5/07 at 12:16pm

Mamie Gummer should play Eve- she's a terrific young actress who has clearly inherited her mother's acting chops.

husk_charmer
#35re: Who should play Eve Harrington opposite Christine Ebersole's Margo Chan
Posted: 8/5/07 at 12:27pm

I dunno, hopefully someone with talent (which eliminates Benanti from that list...and technically Ebersole as well.)

I was excited to see Applause as an Encores show, but unless they pull someone REALLY great in for the other roles, I won't try to break my bank account to go.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Miss.Vanessi
#36re: Who should play Eve Harrington opposite Christine Ebersole's Margo Chan
Posted: 8/5/07 at 12:51pm

That's rather cruel, husk. I know it's just your opinion, but I really don't think those ladies would be on Broadway if they were that talentless.

It's like writing "Norma Shearer for the win!" in a Joan Crawford biography.

Not Barker, Todd. Profile Photo
Not Barker, Todd.
#37re: Who should play Eve Harrington opposite Christine Ebersole's Margo Chan
Posted: 8/5/07 at 1:50pm

I just hope its a good production, the score is awesome.

PLEASE! Do not post anything negative or dramatic! DidYouReallyHearMe has LOST the ability to ignore such posts and he will comment! Please, help him.

With Clay Aiken in Spamalot, all of Broadway is singing a collective "There! Right! There!" -Me-

"Not Barker, Todd is the only person I've ever known who could imitate Katherine Hepburn...in print." -nmartin-

LoringsGuy
#39re: Who should play Eve Harrington opposite Christine Ebersole's Margo Chan
Posted: 8/5/07 at 5:00pm

Ouch, Husk Charmer.

Do you really find Ebersole to be talentless?

"Word of advice: Be who you are, wear what you want---just learn how to run real fast." Marc, UGLY BETTY

husk_charmer
#40re: Who should play Eve Harrington opposite Christine Ebersole's Margo Chan
Posted: 8/5/07 at 6:07pm

Lorings-
Yes, yes I do. They may be super nice people, but I have never been overly impressed by either lady. Yes, Ebersole was good in "Grey Gardens"...she proved she can do what both Fran Drescher and Maggie Wheeler did for several years on TV, fake a Long Island nasal accent. She always feels lifeless onstage, she I usually will forget she's in something, unless there is a constant reminder.

I personally find Benanti's voice grating, and her acting falls flat for me. The fact that she has yet to sustain a long run without leaving for some reason, legit or not, irks me, as I am 100% positive there are people better suited for the roles that would be there a larger percent of the time.

To me, they have less talent than other people out there, and frankly, find them talentless.

There are TONS of actresses out there with bigger names and more talent that would have been a better fit for Margo Channing, and Ebersole is low enough on my list of choices that she didn't even make it.

Miss.Vanessi
#41re: Who should play Eve Harrington opposite Christine Ebersole's Margo Chan
Posted: 8/5/07 at 6:37pm

You've changed your mind about Ebersole in the past week, I take it. Didn't you just call her Big/Little Edie "AMAZING"?

It's like writing "Norma Shearer for the win!" in a Joan Crawford biography.

husk_charmer
#42re: Who should play Eve Harrington opposite Christine Ebersole's Margo Chan
Posted: 8/5/07 at 7:53pm

Miss.Vanessi-
Yes I did say she was amazing, and she was, but as I have also said, it's an impersonation, and a very good one.

Impersonation does not take much talent.

Switz78 Profile Photo
Switz78
#43re: Who should play Eve Harrington opposite Christine Ebersole's Margo Chan
Posted: 8/5/07 at 8:34pm

Husk- Benanti did Sound of Music then Swing then was seriously injured during her next bway outing in Into the Woods, so to say she hasn't done long runs is not accurate.
Did you see Gypsy, because her acting was anything but flat?

husk_charmer
#44re: Who should play Eve Harrington opposite Christine Ebersole's Margo Chan
Posted: 8/5/07 at 8:46pm

Switz-
I classify a long run as being at least 6 months.

She was a replacement in "Sound of Music", in a minor role that lasted until early 1999. When she took over she was only in for about 5 months. A run would be classified as time in a specific role. She did a long run in the ensemble, but not as Maria.

I can give you Swing (although her term with that is not on IBDB, so how long she was in is still up in the air.)

I realize she broke her neck in "Into the Woods" but if you read my statement I did say that legit reason or not, she still had not managed a long run.

She left "Nine" after barely more than 5 months.

She was replaced during rehearsals for "The Violet Hour"

She *barely* makes 6 total months with "Wedding Singer" but, according to IBDB.com, who I consider a fairly official resource, she was replaced during the run, and then returned to finish out the last two months, making it a non-consecutive six months.

And, while I did not see "Gypsy" (my plans fell through), I can honestly say, based on the cast recordings, TV clips and YouTube that if I found her flat in other roles, I will find her flat in this. And, it helped her none that I found her totally miscast age wise in the role.

Personally, given that track record, as well as the stories that circulate through theatre rings, I would never want to cast her in anything I directed.

Anyhow, I'm done defending myself. These are my personal opinions that I am always happy to discuss in private.

FranzRelax
#45re: Who should play Eve Harrington opposite Christine Ebersole's Margo Chan
Posted: 8/5/07 at 8:49pm

^ I can't believe you're judging her performance as GYPSY without really seeing it. A ton of people expected her to fall flat in the role, but many were pleasantly surprised. She was fantastic. The way she screamed in the dressing room scene was really frightening.

We serve their food, We carve their meat, We tend to their house, We polish their Silverware.

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
husk_charmer
#47re: Who should play Eve Harrington opposite Christine Ebersole's Margo Chan
Posted: 8/5/07 at 8:57pm

Franz-
I did not bring up "Gypsy," Switz did. And while it may not be fair to judge, I did. Get over it. I can't believe you are judging me for my own personal opinion. And, notice I did not ever once say that she WAS, but based on my feelings about her, she probably WOULD.

P.S. I swear I am done defending myself this time.

MTVMann-
I agree with you on Davie...and whoever said Anne Hathaway, I agree with as well.

keely2 Profile Photo
keely2
#48re: Who should play Eve Harrington opposite Christine Ebersole's Margo Chan
Posted: 8/5/07 at 11:09pm

I concur with all those who suggested Anne Hathaway. Anika Noni Rose, who was also mentioned, would also be interesting in the role. Laura Benanti would doubtless be brilliant... and I do like the idea of casting a newcomer. Any of those could work, I think.

Good Prattle, my very NYC-friendly interview website: http://www.goodprattle.com

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#49re: Who should play Eve Harrington opposite Christine Ebersole's Margo Chan
Posted: 8/6/07 at 5:36pm

To say that Ebersole and Laura Benanti have no talent is nothing short of preposterous...
However, I still don't think Ebersole should be playing this role, APPLAUSE is a show that needs a major star to work, IMO. It needs major star wattage in the Margo Channing role to sell the mediocre score and poor adaptation from the brilliant film. I don't think Ebersole cuts it. This is casting that I'd expect in summer stock or Papermill, not in an Encores! production.
Now Mamie Gummer as Eve is simply genius and I'd pay big bucks to hear her singing "One Halloween."

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

PersonofInterest Profile Photo
PersonofInterest
#50re: Who should play Eve Harrington opposite Christine Ebersole's Margo Chan
Posted: 8/6/07 at 8:38pm

Laura Bell would be perfect CurtainPullDowner!! But, of course, she is still unavailable. Unles by some miracle they close Blonde!!

I tend to despise Anne Hathaway on film, but I actually think she'd be a really good choice. They could go divers and use someone like Nikki James!!!

(I just want to see Nikki do MORE!!)

ahmelie Profile Photo
ahmelie
#51re: Who should play Eve Harrington opposite Christine Ebersole's Margo Chan
Posted: 8/6/07 at 11:17pm

I kind of agree with Ray. Although I *adore* Ebersole, I don't think she's going to work as Margo. Though, if I was able to, I'd still see this show in a heartbeat.

Even though I'm not a fan of hers, I think Betty Buckley would be genius as Margo.

Theatre is a safe place to do the unsafe things that need to be done. -John Patrick Shanley

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#52re: Who should play Eve Harrington opposite Christine Ebersole's Margo Chan
Posted: 8/6/07 at 11:19pm

Maggie Gyllenhaal as Eve.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)