News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Anyone go to NYC for the sole purpose of watching shows?

Anyone go to NYC for the sole purpose of watching shows?

Fiyero13
#1Anyone go to NYC for the sole purpose of watching shows?
Posted: 8/8/07 at 6:52pm

Just wondering? That guy who say 17 shows in 11 days got me thinking, to all the fans does seein a show beat seein the brooklyn bridge or the natural history museum? or seein the statue of liberty

Bwayfan4
#2re: Anyone go to NYC for the sole purpose of watching shows?
Posted: 8/8/07 at 6:58pm

I typically go to NYC mainly to see shows...if I'm with my Mom, we might do something "touristy", but if I'm with a friend, we are all about theatre. Although I do admit there are MANY areas of the city that I DO want to explore...I just haven't gotten that far yet. Luckily, I don't live too far away!

Fiyero13
#2re: Anyone go to NYC for the sole purpose of watching shows?
Posted: 8/8/07 at 6:59pm

I plan on going at the end of the month, but I'm only going to see spring awakening, partly cause I wanna see NYC, partly cause I'm with my Dad who's not too keen on saying so many shows

Fanadu_Xtreme Profile Photo
Fanadu_Xtreme
#3re: Anyone go to NYC for the sole purpose of watching shows?
Posted: 8/8/07 at 7:01pm

I go for the sole purpose of seeing shows.

Bwayfan4
#4re: Anyone go to NYC for the sole purpose of watching shows?
Posted: 8/8/07 at 7:02pm

I am right there with you guys...I'd like to take one more trip before school starts, but I'm rather broke...so I MAY go up and try to get tickets for a show through TKTS. (I've never been brave enough to head to the city without having tickets to a show)

colleen_lee
#6re: Anyone go to NYC for the sole purpose of watching shows?
Posted: 8/8/07 at 7:04pm

I've seen all the touristy landmarks and whatnot. When I'm in the city my mission is to see as many shows as I can.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

ChecksintheMayo
#7re: Anyone go to NYC for the sole purpose of watching shows?
Posted: 8/8/07 at 7:05pm

Well, that's only three hours on a non-matinee day. The remainder of your time for museums and other things.

That being said, I do go to NYC primarily for shows. As well as London and Seattle.

AvenueQResident Profile Photo
AvenueQResident
#8re: Anyone go to NYC for the sole purpose of watching shows?
Posted: 8/8/07 at 7:22pm

That would be one of the main reasons I'd go. I'd make the most of my time though and see what else is on offer. Unfortunately, seeing a show wasn't part of our media trip when I went re: Anyone go to NYC for the sole purpose of watching shows? I could have seen Beauty and the Beast too before it closed!

Everything in life...is only for now.

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#9re: Anyone go to NYC for the sole purpose of watching shows?
Posted: 8/8/07 at 7:50pm

I go for the sole purpose of seeing shows.
Seeing 7 shows on my upcoming 5 day trip.
However, on the non-matinee days I see museums, shop, etc.

Rotel1026
#10re: Anyone go to NYC for the sole purpose of watching shows?
Posted: 8/8/07 at 7:54pm

I've been a couple of times and seen a good deal of the usual tourist stuff. But you can do both, I enjoy going to museums or whatever else during the day and then catch a show in the evening, and yes, not much you can do on matinee days but given the choice between two shows or just one and doing something else during the day, I'll take the two show day.

AnnaK<3LMIP Profile Photo
AnnaK<3LMIP
#11re: Anyone go to NYC for the sole purpose of watching shows?
Posted: 8/8/07 at 7:59pm

Now that I have friends going to college there, I go to NYC a lot just to hang out with them, and we always see a show. So I don't go FOR a show but I do end up seeing one. It's not like I go everyday.

But my mummy always buys me some super good tickets for some show that I love a lot or haven't seen yet for my birthday, and we go together and hit up museums, parks, then end with the show. That's also because my mom never goes to NYC. Like, never. Maybe twice a year.

I mean, Denzel Washington? Gun to my head..of course.

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#12re: Anyone go to NYC for the sole purpose of watching shows?
Posted: 8/8/07 at 8:00pm

I like hanging around in the City when I'm there restaurants, shopping, etc. But I try to see a show at every available showtime.

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#13re: Anyone go to NYC for the sole purpose of watching shows?
Posted: 8/8/07 at 8:01pm

That's why I go to NYC.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.
Updated On: 8/8/07 at 08:01 PM

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#14re: Anyone go to NYC for the sole purpose of watching shows?
Posted: 8/8/07 at 8:37pm

I go to the city for the sole purpose of catching shows. I've done the touristy/museum stuff. If I am there for work (non theatre-related), I still make sure I have a ticket for something theatre-related for every night I am free.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

me2 Profile Photo
me2
#15re: Anyone go to NYC for the sole purpose of watching shows?
Posted: 8/8/07 at 8:54pm

I love NYC, but it's the shows that keep me coming back. If Broadway closed tomorrow, I think I'd vacation elsewhere from now on. I usually go for a week and see as many shows as I can in that time.
Broadway Blog: Miss Saigon, Sixteen Years Later (and 50 Amazing Broadway Performers)

amalou Profile Photo
amalou
#16re: Anyone go to NYC for the sole purpose of watching shows?
Posted: 8/8/07 at 9:02pm

NYC is just a short ride away so I do usually go just to see a show or two and then come right home. Might do lunch or dinner, but that's about it. Then again, I've pretty much already done all the touristy things.

"But I can tell you that Raoul, who was so handsome in "The Phantom," is now a drunken wreck."

hermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
#17re: Anyone go to NYC for the sole purpose of watching shows?
Posted: 8/8/07 at 9:06pm

I usually go to NYC just for the shows. The first time I went, we were very touristy. However, ever since then I've planned to go to NYC to see shows. Anything else is a bonus. In fact, I hadn't even seen the Statue of Liberty until a couple of trips ago, and the only reason I went was because a friend wanted to go. Most of the time, I try to go on matinee days, but even then I can do other things in the city during the time off.

So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?

tthomas76 Profile Photo
tthomas76
#18re: Anyone go to NYC for the sole purpose of watching shows?
Posted: 8/8/07 at 9:08pm

That's my main purpose of going to NYC... Already done all the tourist stuff years ago so now I just go for the shows.

tthomas76 Profile Photo
tthomas76
#18re: Anyone go to NYC for the sole purpose of watching shows?
Posted: 8/8/07 at 9:08pm

SORRY! double post! Updated On: 8/8/07 at 09:08 PM

renaibr
#20re: Anyone go to NYC for the sole purpose of watching shows?
Posted: 8/8/07 at 9:10pm

i live on long island about a 40 minute train ride from nyc
i usually only come into the city to see a show
i belong to tdf and usually will purchase tickets and just
see the show and leave

SDav 10495 Profile Photo
SDav 10495
#21re: Anyone go to NYC for the sole purpose of watching shows?
Posted: 8/8/07 at 9:11pm

I go to NYC to make money.

Which I then spend on food.

Which keeps me alive so I can spend money on shows.

"If there is going to be a restoration fee, there should also be a Renaissance fee, a Middle Ages fee and a Dark Ages fee. Someone must have men in the back room making up names, euphemisms for profit." (Emanuel Azenberg)

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#22re: Anyone go to NYC for the sole purpose of watching shows?
Posted: 8/8/07 at 9:16pm

I do. I live in Louisville and I try to get to NYC every other year and my sole purpose is to see as many shows as possible in a few days.
I usually travel with a couple friends who may see one or two shows while I see all I can.

MerMaggieGalinda
#23re: Anyone go to NYC for the sole purpose of watching shows?
Posted: 8/8/07 at 9:22pm

That's my main reason of going, I never get to see any good Broadway-caliber shows where I live so whenever I get the chance to go to NYC(which was once, and soon another trip) seeing shows is my main goal!

thereisnofuture Profile Photo
thereisnofuture
#24re: Anyone go to NYC for the sole purpose of watching shows?
Posted: 8/8/07 at 9:28pm

I go mainly for shows,but my Mom and sister insist on doing touristy things.

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#25re: Anyone go to NYC for the sole purpose of watching shows?
Posted: 8/8/07 at 9:35pm

I go just to see shows. Of course, my mom likes to do museums and stuff like that, too.

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

Videos