Grey Gardens The Movie - pics!

artscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
#1Grey Gardens The Movie - pics!
Posted: 10/23/07 at 7:15pm

FIRST DAY OF SHOOTING - and all they can talk about is Drew's cellulite

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#2re: Grey Gardens The Movie - pics!
Posted: 10/23/07 at 7:19pm

People are morons. She's gorgeous. And most of them are probably fat themselves. She prob gained weight for the role, but if not, good for her.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#2re: Grey Gardens The Movie - pics!
Posted: 10/23/07 at 7:20pm

I think she looks great!

Such a beautiful woman, and I think she looks perfect for the role.

I'm really hoping she pulls this off!

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

ahmelie Profile Photo
ahmelie
#3re: Grey Gardens The Movie - pics!
Posted: 10/23/07 at 7:30pm

re: Grey Gardens The Movie - pics!

This picture is beautiful and perfect. It makes me want to see this even more.

Theatre is a safe place to do the unsafe things that need to be done. -John Patrick Shanley

Clara's Pony Profile Photo
Clara's Pony
#4re: Grey Gardens The Movie - pics!
Posted: 10/23/07 at 7:31pm

Do we know when it will be released?

Why, hello Margaret! Yes darling, half past five. Well, everyone, simply le tout Park Avenue and la creme de Hyannis! Well, the press table's going to be awfully crowded... but if you don't mind sharing a folding chair with Harper's Bazaar... Sing? Me? Heavens no, it's Edie's day, not mine... Although people can be so insistent, and I hate to disappoint. Twist my arm, blackmail me, threaten my very life, and who knows? You might get a verse of something...

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#5re: Grey Gardens The Movie - pics!
Posted: 10/23/07 at 7:33pm

I think she looks stunning.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#6re: Grey Gardens The Movie - pics!
Posted: 10/23/07 at 7:50pm

Now this is her as Little Edie in earlier days, right?

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#7re: Grey Gardens The Movie - pics!
Posted: 10/23/07 at 7:57pm

From those "in the know," it is apparently those pesky missing years from the musical.

Post Act I, and Pre-Act II.

That's when this film takes place. (During intermission! re: Grey Gardens The Movie - pics!)

In other words... It's how they got from "A" to "B." Could be very fascinating, and a nice companion piece to both the musical and the documentary. They all seem poised to complement each other nicely.

...as long as it's good, damn it! But Drew's got the look DOWN.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#8re: Grey Gardens The Movie - pics!
Posted: 10/23/07 at 8:07pm

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#9re: Grey Gardens The Movie - pics!
Posted: 10/23/07 at 8:20pm

Check out picture #2 for a great hair comparison...

http://greygardensthemusical.com/nytimesedie/nytimesedie.html

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#10re: Grey Gardens The Movie - pics!
Posted: 10/23/07 at 8:28pm

I wasn't looking forwardto this at all, but I like the pictures and, if you're right, best12, it could be an interesting movie.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

artscallion
#11re: Grey Gardens The Movie - pics!
Posted: 10/23/07 at 8:32pm

This film will cover those "missing" years. It will also go beyond the documentary/musical time frame. The bit I'm anticipating most is a scene of the nightclub act Edie did at Reno Sweeneys after her mother died.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#12re: Grey Gardens The Movie - pics!
Posted: 10/23/07 at 10:21pm

I didn't think I would buy Drew Barrymore in this film at all (I was pulling for Toni Collette), but those pictures look astonishing and she seems to capture the air of Little Edie. Hope it's a good film.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#13re: Grey Gardens The Movie - pics!
Posted: 10/23/07 at 10:56pm

Once again...I hope the few out there ARE aware this is not a musical nor based on the recent Broadway musical, right?

One's gotta ask these days, y'know. re: Grey Gardens The Movie - pics!

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#14re: Grey Gardens The Movie - pics!
Posted: 10/23/07 at 11:03pm

Drew looks great, and it's a role that Lange can obviously nail, but I'm still worried about Drew's acting chops. Furthermore, Little Edie did not have a pronounced lisp (or any lisp at all, for that matter.)

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#15re: Grey Gardens The Movie - pics!
Posted: 10/23/07 at 11:11pm

Hmmm...maybe I'll head down to Centre Island tomorrow and take a looksee.

Akiva

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#16re: Grey Gardens The Movie - pics!
Posted: 10/23/07 at 11:16pm

Furthermore, Little Edie did not have a pronounced lisp (or any lisp at all, for that matter.)

Maybe that will finally give her reason to be taught to speak without it. I mean, I know it's kind of her trademark, but if it affects the character she needs to learn when to use it and when to lose it.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#17re: Grey Gardens The Movie - pics!
Posted: 10/24/07 at 12:13am

I don't think a speech impediment that one has been carrying around for 30+ years can just disappear when you want it to.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#18re: Grey Gardens The Movie - pics!
Posted: 10/24/07 at 12:20am

I didn't say it could.

You have to go through speech therapy. Something she should have done long ago.

Not that her lisp is something she should be ashamed of. But, as an actress, she should train herself to know how to control it.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

neddyfrank2
#19re: Grey Gardens The Movie - pics!
Posted: 10/24/07 at 12:22am

The show would have been so much more successful if it opened after the movie.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#20re: Grey Gardens The Movie - pics!
Posted: 10/24/07 at 6:26am

Get back to us when you manage to pull that stick out from deep inside your ass.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#21re: Grey Gardens The Movie - pics!
Posted: 10/24/07 at 8:39am

Lisp--schmisp.

I'm wondering if Drew can pull of Little Edie's decidedly "chewy" accent.

artscallion
#22re: Grey Gardens The Movie - pics!
Posted: 10/24/07 at 8:50am

I'm interested to see if her accent evolves throughout the movie, rather than starting out chewy. I'd love to see it shift from Park Ave socialite who summers in the Hamptons and schools in CT to that really twisted version that 30 years of isolation can bring.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#23re: Grey Gardens The Movie - pics!
Posted: 10/24/07 at 9:03am

Are we sure Little Edie didn't talk that way to start with?

Most people don't suddenly develop accents halfway through their life.

...except maybe Madonna.

artscallion
#24re: Grey Gardens The Movie - pics!
Posted: 10/24/07 at 10:32am

I think it's common to take on the accent of a new environment. Ten years in San Diego drastically morphed my Rhode Island accent into something new and different. Being back in RI for fifteen years has morphed it again into something even stranger.

I don't know of any recordings of Edie as a young girl but she grew up on Park Ave, not Long Island. I'd guess that she had a much more refined finishing school accent, probably closer to Jackie and Lee's, that became mixed with that distinct Long Island accent. I'm just supposing. Bit I can't imagine her speaking that way at Miss Porter's school and getting away with it.

There is one thing I find very interesting about the way Edie and her mother speak. Everything is described in absolute terms. Everything is "completely wonderful" or "completely awful" or "absolutely brilliant" or "entirely wrong." It's all extreme black or extreme white, nothing is just okay or a little annoying. It's either a disaster or it's the best.

I wonder if that's a class thing,where everything had to be perfect or it was unacceptable, which is ironic considering the conditions they lived in. Or is it just the particular penchant these two had for high drama.

Videos