pixeltracker

AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY – First Preview Review (No Spoilers)- Page 2

AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY – First Preview Review (No Spoilers)

madophelia Profile Photo
madophelia
#25re: AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY – First Preview Review (No Spoilers)
Posted: 11/1/07 at 12:08pm

See what I get for reading so late at night and then sleeping on it and letting it burrow in.

Sorry to be so antagonistic, although I still get a lingering flavor of condecension about the statement which seemingly wants to reassure everyone that these people are worth seeing.
Updated On: 11/1/07 at 12:08 PM

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#26re: AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY – First Preview Review (No Spoilers)
Posted: 11/1/07 at 12:37pm

Thanks, Barihunk.

madophelia, sorry to have confused you. No feeling of condescention is there. I'm well aware that The Steppenwolf is one of the best, and that these are top notch performers. I don't think I presented it otherwise.

Regarding Deanna Dunagan's portrayal of Violet, I will agree that there were a few brief moments that hinted at some humanity, but they were spare, and the majority of her stage time was made up of "award winning" moments, where the character acts like a zombie, or throws a fit, or screams obscenities; and all together, it just didn't add up to the representation of a full, convincing human being. They were just blasting moments.

Amy Morton's performance on the other hand provided a convincing journey from start to finish. She had me with her through each of Barbara's moments, many of them similar to Violet's bursts, yet with Morton's performance, one moment took me to the next, everything that happened in between fit in with the telling of a story, leading to her next moment, and so on. Her performance told the story of a person.

I have seen performances in other shows where one character's journey is made up of one outrageous moment after another (one that comes to mind is Michael Stuhlbarg's in THE PILLOWMAN), yet, in those cases I was with the character through each moment, and in the end I was left with the portrait of a person. Dunagan's portrayal of Violet never left me seeing her as anything but a cartoon.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 11/1/07 at 12:37 PM

madophelia Profile Photo
madophelia
#27re: AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY – First Preview Review (No Spoilers)
Posted: 11/1/07 at 1:37pm

Violet is the end result, while Barbara is a work in progress. If I said anymore, I'd be wading or submerging myself into spoiler territory. Only hints of her more vulnerable, prior self would be realistic, given the woman's dependencies.

I don't want to take anything away from Amy Morton's performance, which was excellent. Having seen her in numerous shows, earlier this year in Steppenwolf's production of Pinter's BETRAYAL with Tracy Letts (the playwright) and Ian Barford (who also has a lesser role in A:OC)--a sort of reunion for the three as they also did Richard Greenberg's THREE DAYS OF RAIN back in 1999--she was bound to come in second to Dunagan with the Jeff awards. A showier role typically does take the prize in most venues.

Again, sorry about my first post.

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#28re: AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY – First Preview Review (No Spoilers)
Posted: 11/1/07 at 3:30pm

Based on the description of the play from Playbill.com I purchased discount tickets for AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY for the December 8th matinee. I am really excited about seeing this, having heard such positive things about Steppenwolf over the years, and having read the praise from Wanna Be a Foster. This will be the first straight play I will be seeing in over 11 years, since I usually pick a musical. There are no current musicals that I have not already seen that interest me. I felt that I owe it to myself to see a strong, highly regarded play--what a difference from LEGALLY BLONDE which I saw last spring and hated (I'm still wondering why I chose that musical). When I was in college and went to the NYC theatre a lot, I saw many plays from my seat in the back of the balcony for as little as $3.40. At today's theatre prices, thank God for Broadwaybox.com discounts.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#29re: AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY – First Preview Review (No Spoilers)
Posted: 11/2/07 at 10:57pm

Glad to hear the show is in great shape. I saw it at the Steppenwolf (yay for business trips to Chicago) and it was easily one of the best I have seen in years. I am sad I won't probably be able to make it up to NY to see it again during its run.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#30re: AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY – First Preview Review (No Spoilers)
Posted: 11/2/07 at 11:25pm

Thanks for the insight, Andy (above)

After (1) dealing with all their news and (2) watching the Broadway.com video feature on the show, I'm very close to getting tickets.

Any advise on where to sit? And I'm searching for any potential discounts. BroadwayBox? Rush, lotto policy? I'm not quite sure I want to part with a large wad of cash yet.

Though I am definitely interested, and have a feeling this and The Seafarer will be the two front-runners for Best Play this season. Unless something else surprising/fresh is in-store... I lose track sometimes of just how many houses are filled with new straight-plays! So healthy!

How'd you obtain and how much were your tickets Karen? (below) Updated On: 11/2/07 at 11:25 PM

shesamarshmallow
#31re: AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY – First Preview Review (No Spoilers)
Posted: 11/2/07 at 11:29pm

Just got back - one of my favorite things on the boards right now. And I never would have seen it if I had been left to my own devices. I predict rave reviews then a backlash of epic proportions.

I can't speak for the rest of the house, but I wouldn't recommend sitting in the last three rows of the orchestra, since you miss everything that happens in the attic.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#33re: AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY – First Preview Review (No Spoilers)
Posted: 11/3/07 at 6:32pm

I just purchased my ticket today for the Dec. 6th performance. Got a good discount seat. Row M 3 seats off of the aisle. They had a seat center row A but my friend sat there and said he had to crane his neck a bit to see what was happenening on the upper levels of the stage. I'm a happy camper.

Just give the world Love.

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#34re: AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY – First Preview Review (No Spoilers)
Posted: 11/3/07 at 9:17pm

shesamarshmallow: "I predict rave reviews and then a backlash of epic proportions"

I don't get it--please explain what you mean.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

shesamarshmallow
#35re: AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY – First Preview Review (No Spoilers)
Posted: 11/4/07 at 12:11am

It's a great show, and I personally love it. But at least one person walked out of the show at the first intermission today saying "I don't care about these people at all. They're all drunks!" I think it's wonderfully written, but I have a feeling that detractors will hate that it hits on every taboo (SPOILER! - alcohol, drugs, pedophilia, incest, etc) and insist that the show uses it for shock value and has very little substance. Again, I sentiment I wholly disagree with... I just feel that with the expectations that good reviews will bring, many people will leave the show with those feelings.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#36re: AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY – First Preview Review (No Spoilers)
Posted: 11/4/07 at 7:36am

nice to know... can't wait next week

J*

BroadwaySnob Profile Photo
BroadwaySnob
#37re: AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY – First Preview Review (No Spoilers)
Posted: 11/4/07 at 3:10pm

I saw this this weekend. I really enjoyed it... it's not a perfect show, but there are moments that are really electric.

WaltSummersPI Profile Photo
WaltSummersPI
#38re: AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY – First Preview Review (No Spoilers)
Posted: 11/5/07 at 10:37am

Saw it yesterday and LOVED it from start to finish.

Wanna Be A Foster
#39re: AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY – First Preview Review (No Spoilers)
Posted: 11/7/07 at 11:08am

Here are some press photos from previews.

This is the elaborate set:

re: AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY – First Preview Review (No Spoilers)

And this photo reminded me of what a strong performance Mariann Mayberry (on the left) gives as the youngest sister:

re: AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY – First Preview Review (No Spoilers)
Photo Flash: AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
Updated On: 11/7/07 at 11:08 AM

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#40re: AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY – First Preview Review (No Spoilers)
Posted: 11/7/07 at 11:48am

Neat! You wouldn't happen to have one of those handy-dandy discount codes on you, wouldja WBAFoster?

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

MargoChanning
#41re: AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY – First Preview Review (No Spoilers)
Posted: 11/7/07 at 12:08pm

http://www.broadwaybox.com/shows/august_osage_county_nyc_tickets.aspx

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#42re: AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY – First Preview Review (No Spoilers)
Posted: 11/7/07 at 1:04pm

I saw it on Sunday, and literally cannot stop thinking about it. Never EVER has a play stuck with me like this- I have found myself thinking about the characters, certain lines of dialogue, and their relationships nonstop for the past two days. I need to go back and see the play again, because I can't even articulate how powerful it was. I just know that I would recommend it to everyone I know.

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

chad2 Profile Photo
chad2
#43re: AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY – First Preview Review (No Spoilers)
Posted: 11/7/07 at 3:37pm

I am going on Monday with a large group, it better be good!

BrookArtsCenter Profile Photo
BrookArtsCenter
#44re: AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY – First Preview Review (No Spoilers)
Posted: 11/7/07 at 7:04pm

Actually, there is no performance on Monday. A week from Monday on the 19th, there is an evening performance the day before opening. Better check your tix.

-------------------- Brook Arts Center closed due to flooding from April 2007 Nor'easter. Watch www.brookarts.org for more info.

Wanna Be A Foster
#45re: AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY – First Preview Review (No Spoilers)
Posted: 11/7/07 at 11:58pm

Here is a fabulous interview with the playwright, director, and members of the cast.
AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY - Interview

-Kad

chad2 Profile Photo
chad2
#46re: AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY – First Preview Review (No Spoilers)
Posted: 11/8/07 at 3:46am

Sorry I am going a week from Monday on the 19th.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#47re: AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY – First Preview Review (No Spoilers)
Posted: 11/9/07 at 8:50am

Saw it last night, and STILL cant stop talking about it ! I have told my entire office to RUN and see this production.

Both leading ladies are so excellent, but Morton's acting right before the close of Act II, is some of the finest I have ever seen !!!

I REALLY need to see she whow again ! NOW !

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#48re: AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY – First Preview Review (No Spoilers)
Posted: 11/9/07 at 9:05am

I was turned off by the title of "The Drowsy Chaperone" and did not see it till today. This "August:Osage County" is another one. No big name, weird name...I will pass this.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#49re: AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY – First Preview Review (No Spoilers)
Posted: 11/9/07 at 9:20am

oh my god. I am going to see this play this weekend. I am soo.... re: AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY – First Preview Review (No Spoilers)

I really dont care if it does not have big names... I heard soo many good things about the play... I am sure ..if everyone here is saying that's its good.. it must be !

I dont even care if its 3 hours and 20 mins (with 2 intermission) .. its gonna be all worth it- every second of it. I keep reading this thread for all new entries and it seems like everyone who had seen this one... only says one thing...

Can't wait !

J*
Updated On: 11/9/07 at 09:20 AM

chad2 Profile Photo
chad2
#50re: AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY – First Preview Review (No Spoilers)
Posted: 11/9/07 at 9:25am

Sanda go and watch The Lion King again. We will enjoy this without you.

Videos