#1NEW SWEENEY PIX
Posted: 11/14/07 at 12:55am

Paramount's released two new Sweeney Todd film photos
https://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=23004

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#2re: NEW SWEENEY PIX
Posted: 11/14/07 at 1:12am

Well it was my first time seeing the first two pictures, thanks Eug! This makes me more excited for this to come out.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#3re: NEW SWEENEY PIX
Posted: 11/14/07 at 1:17am

Guess we can't all be nerdy and hot and up-to-date like me.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

BreakingTheCircle07 Profile Photo
BreakingTheCircle07
#4re: NEW SWEENEY PIX
Posted: 11/14/07 at 1:20am

I love how they cast age-appropriate actors for Johanna/Anthony. It's going to be startling to see such a young Toby. Poor poor Toby.

Variations on a Theme blog: http://panekattack.blogspot.com/

musicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
#5re: NEW SWEENEY PIX
Posted: 11/14/07 at 1:20am

thanks..i hadn't seen the second pic before.

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#6re: NEW SWEENEY PIX
Posted: 11/14/07 at 1:28am

I'm sorry that we all can't be hot and up-to-date like you but some of us are too busy performing at Radio City.

JulesReverie Profile Photo
JulesReverie
#7re: NEW SWEENEY PIX
Posted: 11/14/07 at 1:48am

It's so weird seeing an actual 18-20 y/o as Anthony and not a 30something y/o, refreshing, but it's going to take some time getting used to.

Tkt2Ride Profile Photo
Tkt2Ride
#8re: NEW SWEENEY PIX
Posted: 11/14/07 at 1:57am

Thanks Eugene now we just have to make it through November's boring fare..

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#9re: NEW SWEENEY PIX
Posted: 11/14/07 at 1:59am

Jules, I agree. It's really great though to see age appropriate actors. Especially with Toby. We are used to 30 year old Tobys. And to have an actual 12 year old is wonderful.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#10re: NEW SWEENEY PIX
Posted: 11/14/07 at 6:21am

It was just buried on page 2 B3! re: NEW SWEENEY PIX

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?boardname=bway&thread=948753#3315564

....but the world goes 'round

jam_man
#11re: NEW SWEENEY PIX
Posted: 11/14/07 at 8:44am

Why does it still say it'll be a limited release on Dec. 21? I'm at least 80% sure that it's now a wide release on the 21st, and has been for quite some time, now.

"Who is Stephen Sondheim?" -roninjoey
"The man who wishes he had written Phantom of the Opera!" - SueleenGay

GO CARDINALS!!!

singingwendy Profile Photo
singingwendy
#12re: NEW SWEENEY PIX
Posted: 11/14/07 at 8:58am

"It's so weird seeing an actual 18-20 y/o as Anthony and not a 30something y/o, refreshing, but it's going to take some time getting used to.."

I was just in a production of 'Sweeney" and our Anthony was about 19 and our Joanna was 17. (And I have to say they did a fabulous job!) It really helped to create the sense of two generations of a family being ruined by the Judge.....not to mention increased the creepiness of the Judge's feelings for Joanna.

That said...this Anthony looks REALLY young.....however, it's just a picture...we'll have to see what he sounds like!

Anyone know if, since Toby is played by an actual 12 year old in this movie, they rearranged or changed his music? It's in an awkward spot for a 12 year old boy.....

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#13re: NEW SWEENEY PIX
Posted: 11/14/07 at 1:51pm

I didn't realized Anthony was dying of Cholera. Who knew?

Sluggy Profile Photo
Sluggy
#14re: NEW SWEENEY PIX
Posted: 11/14/07 at 2:54pm

Are there any photos of Toby? I can't seem to find any in the links. To be honest, I didn't realize the character was as young as 12. I've always thought of him as late teens or early twenties, but mentally or emotionally young.

I'm getting really excited to see this movie.

"Which way do you want these pleats turned?" "Toward Mecca."

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#15re: NEW SWEENEY PIX
Posted: 11/14/07 at 3:16pm

I haven't seen any pics of Toby yet. But according to the buzz, he's great in the film.

...and Toby, along with Sweeney and Lovett are the only three characters that can be traced back to the origins of the "legend." Traditionally, he's always been a young boy... not a teen or tween, or "slow" young adult.

If you've seen any of the other films of Sweeney (the Ben Kingsley/Joanna Lumley version comes to mind), Toby is definitely a kid.

And it's even more horrifying to watch a child bare witness to and be a part of the goings-on at the pie shop.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 11/14/07 at 03:16 PM

Sluggy Profile Photo
Sluggy
#16re: NEW SWEENEY PIX
Posted: 11/14/07 at 4:51pm

Thanks, best12!
I'll have to look for that film. I've seen only Ken Jennings and Manoel Felciano in that role.

"Which way do you want these pleats turned?" "Toward Mecca."

Videos