pixeltracker

KRISTIN IN "ON THE 20th CENTURY"

KRISTIN IN "ON THE 20th CENTURY"

Theatrical Landladies Profile Photo
Theatrical Landladies
#1KRISTIN IN "ON THE 20th CENTURY"
Posted: 11/25/07 at 6:47am

I think Kristin Chenoweth would make the most wonderful LILY GARLAND if ever OTTC were to be revived. VICTOR GARBER could be OSCAR but it is KRISTIN I would LOVE to see!

Will this ever happen?

"Your eyes..... they shine like the pants on my blue serge suit"
Updated On: 11/26/07 at 06:47 AM

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#2re: KRISTEN IN 'ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY'
Posted: 11/25/07 at 8:18am

There seems to be a lot of talk about this musical lately. I'll have to get the recording to see what it's all about. Is that the part Judy Kaye took over? If Judy can do it, I bet Kristin Chenoweth could do it!

#2re: KRISTEN IN 'ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY'
Posted: 11/25/07 at 9:08am

Yes- Judy Kaye after Madeleine Kahn. A wonderful show.

Mattbrain
#3re: KRISTEN IN 'ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY'
Posted: 11/25/07 at 9:34am

Ooh, Kristen as Lily. I'd see that. I'm already pissed that I missed Marin doing the role. Hell, I'm pissed that i've missed all the actor's fund concerts. Thank God for recordings.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#4re: KRISTEN IN 'ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY'
Posted: 11/25/07 at 9:53am

I'm not too familiar with the show, but any role that Madeline Kahn could play seems like a perfect match for Kristin Chenoweth.

The thing is, I think Kristin is through with Broadway for the most part. Ever since her Tony win for CHARLIE BROWN she has been wanting to shoot for TV and film roles. It sounds like her new TV show is taking off, and I doubt she will ever look back if it helps make a name for her.

I think she is a marvelous talent, but her Tony snub for her performance in THE APPLE TREE was sort of a spit in the face from the industry.

ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY does seem like the type of show Roundabout would be willing to do a limited engagement revival of, so if Chenoweth is on hiatus from her TV show, I could see her taking part in a production in that case.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 11/25/07 at 09:53 AM

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#5re: KRISTEN IN 'ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY'
Posted: 11/25/07 at 11:25am

I recently saw a production of this show...
Oy. That's all I can say.

She's a nut, she's a nut, but but but but but but but but (Some of the show's classy lyrics).

wickedmenzel318 Profile Photo
wickedmenzel318
#6re: KRISTEN IN 'ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY'
Posted: 11/25/07 at 11:27am

She would be so good and BTW it is Kristin and not kristen

wickedmenzel318 Profile Photo
wickedmenzel318
#7re: KRISTEN IN 'ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY'
Posted: 11/25/07 at 11:27am

She would be so good and BTW it is Kristin and not kristen

#8re: KRISTEN IN 'ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY'
Posted: 11/25/07 at 11:37am

Yes DRS, the lyrics are SUPERB! Creative, witty and poetic.

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#9re: KRISTEN IN 'ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY'
Posted: 11/25/07 at 3:16pm

Cerveris for Oscar?

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#10re: KRISTEN IN 'ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY'
Posted: 11/25/07 at 3:46pm

Worse than Kristen is K C! Hmph! re: KRISTEN IN 'ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY'

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

artsamore Profile Photo
artsamore
#11re: KRISTEN IN 'ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY'
Posted: 11/25/07 at 11:51pm

On The 20th Century is one of my all time favorites. A great classic musical comedy. Kristin as Lily Garland almost feels too obvious, but I do think she would bring the house down with the song "Veronique" and the show's style does seem tailored to her strengths so I would be there.

So how about this, since James Marsden has been steadily proving to America that he can be a comic leading man as well as a fairly good singer how about him as Oscar to Kristin's Lily. That is a duo that I think would be great together.

Josh Freilich
#12re: KRISTIN IN 'ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY'
Posted: 11/25/07 at 11:57pm

Me too. I WOULD KILL to see Kristin play Lily! She would also bring the house down with "Babbette". I have yet to see her when she goes

"(Magdalen) WE SHALL BE SAVED!
(Babbette) Boozing, dancing, cruising...
(Magdalen) WE SHALL BE SAVED!
(Babbette) Rodney, Nigel, Rodney, boozing, dancing, cruising...
(Magdalen) WE SHALL BE...
(Babbette) My cigarette is... (Magdalen) SAVED!
(Babbette) My cigarette is... (Magdalen) SAVED!
(Babbette) My cigarette is... (Magdalen) SAVED!"

And it goes on! It's hilarious!

"How could she just suddenly, completely disappear into thin water?" - The Little Mermaid

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#13re: KRISTIN IN 'ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY'
Posted: 11/26/07 at 12:15am

I would love to see Chenoweth in the role but unless it's an Encores! piece or maybe a very short limited run, don't expect her to be back on Broadway for a while. Not because she wouldn't want to do theater (she has said repeatedly that she wouldn't give up live theater) but because PUSHING DAISIES is the biggest hit of the season, the show promises to have a healthy run and since it shoots in LA, that means Chenoweth won't be back on the NY stage soon.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#14re: KRISTIN IN 'ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY'
Posted: 11/26/07 at 12:59am

I love this show but I certainly wouldn't want to see KC in it, and as for saying any role that Madeline Kahn did Kristin Chenoweth can do ...pft!

mastachen2
#15re: KRISTIN IN 'ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY'
Posted: 11/26/07 at 5:19am

Isn't it Kristin?

GoSmileLaughCryClap Profile Photo
GoSmileLaughCryClap
#16re: KRISTIN IN 'ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY'
Posted: 11/26/07 at 10:39am

This has to be one of the best musical comedies ever written. The thing that's so great about it is that the book and score are both on the same page at all times. And as a completely successful adaptation of another work, it's right up there with My Fair Lady, if not in pedigree, at least in accomplishing its task.

Fantastic overture. Great character songs. Bombastic but tightly focused title tune, and an ample opportunity for a large cast to really shine.

The problem is for modern audiences to get the joke of a faux operetta hung on screwball comedy conventions from the 30's in Hollywood. It didn't even connect to some audiences in the 70's.

But it's also one of the few musicals that has lots of great material for both the male and female leads and their supporting counterparts.

My brother, who's no fan of musicals saw this one three times. He referred to the score as "Warner Brothers cartoon elevated to high art!" I always loved his description.

He also said it reminded him of Guys and Dolls in that it afforded lots of characters to come front and center and deliver the goods. Sometimes non theater people have good insights about what makes a great show work. He's a good example.

His other great love is Sweeney Todd.

NJluvstheatre
#17re: KRISTIN IN 'ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY'
Posted: 11/26/07 at 11:30am

The thing that I remember about the original production was that I was amazed that as soon as the show ended, the audience gave them a standing ovation BEFORE curtain calls even started! I LOVED this show and have always wished there would be a full-blown revival. GREAT cast and the first show I ever saw Kevin Kline in, who was brilliant in this show! Let's hope for a revival one day..

#18re: KRISTIN IN 'ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY'
Posted: 11/26/07 at 12:56pm

James Marsden? Don't you mean him as Bruce Granit? Oscar is usually played much older with Granite as the yougn stud vying for her attentions.

It'll never happen but here's a dream cast:

Oscar Tim Curry
Lily Kristin Chenoweth
Mrs. Primrose Debra Monk
Bruce Granit Marsden would be great.

Jon
#19re: KRISTIN IN 'ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY'
Posted: 11/26/07 at 5:11pm

Marc Kudisch as Oscar. After all, they have a "history".

And for the sake of history - Judy Kaye as Leticia Primrose!

Theatrical Landladies
#20re: KRISTIN IN 'ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY'
Posted: 11/26/07 at 5:23pm

So many wonderful suggestions. I would just love to see this miraculous CY COLEMAN score brought back to life with a fully staged production. I really believe he was the most original composer on Broadway able to reinvent himself with almost every score and OTTC is so unlike anything else. It provides such unique roles for the right talents and Kristin is herself unique and IMHO ideal for the part of Lily. I will definitely make the journey over the pond to see her if my dreams come true!

Once again fingers crossed.

Updated On: 11/26/07 at 05:23 PM

artsamore Profile Photo
artsamore
#21re: KRISTIN IN 'ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY'
Posted: 11/26/07 at 6:26pm

I hear you JoeKv99 and I do agree he would be a great Bruce, but I hate seeing a revival that is done the EXACT same way as the orginal, that defeats the purpose and I think it would be much more fun and exciting to have a slightly younger Oscar and how funny would it be if Lily showed up with her new man(Bruce Granite) and he looks the same as Oscar(which I think would make "Mine" pretty cool). I like the idea of Tim, but it would have to be Tim from 15 years ago as his best singing days are behind him.

#22re: KRISTIN IN 'ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY'
Posted: 11/26/07 at 6:26pm

I can't read the name without saying "Leticia ASTORIA Primrose!" to myself! What a great score!

ScottyDoesn'tKnow Profile Photo
ScottyDoesn'tKnow
#23re: KRISTIN IN 'ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY'
Posted: 11/27/07 at 2:12am

I absolutely adore the score of On the Twentieth Century. It's like musical theater heaven.

The lyrics by Comden and Green are actually very clever and it seems to be Comden/Green at their nuttiest. Not only do the lyrics capture the essence of the characters in the scenes that they are in, but they are incredibly funny also.

Cy Coleman's score is absolutely breathtaking and the overture is one of the best, if not the best, overtures of any musical that I have ever heard...yes even among West Side Story and Gypsy.

Although I have my doubts, Kristin Chenoweth was actually on my mind as someone who could be a good possibility for the role.

"[Gore] was widely perceived as arrogant. If you know something, you're not smart. You're a smarty-pants. It's annoying. People get annoyed with your knowledge. It goes back to high school, to not doing your homework ... 'There's something I should know, I don't know why I should know it but someone knows it and I don't. So I'm going to have to make fun of him now.'" -Sarah Vowell, The Partly-Cloudy Patriot
Updated On: 11/27/07 at 02:12 AM

Theatrical Landladies
#24re: KRISTIN IN 'ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY'
Posted: 11/29/07 at 6:05pm

Is there anyone out there who can ask her to do it. If I win the lottery this weekend then you have on backer. I would also stipulate that ROBIN WAGNER does sets (updating originals?).

Videos