pixeltracker

Who Have You Seen Naked on Stage?- Page 11

Who Have You Seen Naked on Stage?

Loopin’theloop
#250re: Who Have You Seen Naked on Stage?
Posted: 1/19/20 at 4:24am

BWAY Baby2 said: "Jack O'Connell - gorgeous- and Sienna Miller in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof in London- Indiscretions had a young Jude Law, Patricia Clarkson in Elephant Man- all of these nude scenes were not essential in any way- all could have been clothed and it would have not made any difference in the production. I find most nudity to be purely commercially motivated. Pointless and cynical way to sell tickets."

if it sells tickets it isn’t pointless 

BWAY Baby2
#251re: Who Have You Seen Naked on Stage?
Posted: 1/19/20 at 7:20am

Okay- perhaps seeing nudity on stage at some point in the 60's or 70's or 80's was a political act- fine by me- and I went to the Gaity near BWAY many times when I was in my twenties- and there is nothing wrong with nudity on stage- but the question here- as it is now b being discussed by me and others- who have changed this conversation from- Who Have You Seen Naked?- to is it necessary to see naked bodies in the theater or is it merely a commercial ploy to sell tickets and generate conversation?- I think the cards are way stacked on the side of it is NOT necessary to show nudity- characterization and drama are communicated by skilled directors and actors- but if you want to see some big star naked- or the director wants to add a bit of spice- fine by me. Is it necessary- NO. But, it is also usually not particularly offensive in this day and age. 

Updated On: 1/19/20 at 07:20 AM

BalconyClub Profile Photo
BalconyClub
#252re: Who Have You Seen Naked on Stage?
Posted: 1/19/20 at 8:12am

Back in high school during rehearsals for the Junior Miss pageant, one contestant's breasts popped out when her ill-fitted spaghetti strap dress failed. I was mesmerized and terrified.

jimmycurry01
#253re: Who Have You Seen Naked on Stage?
Posted: 1/19/20 at 9:49am

BWAY Baby2 said: "Okay- perhaps seeing nudityon stage at some point in the 60's or 70's or 80's was a political act- fine by me- and I went to the Gaity near BWAY many times when I was in my twenties- and there is nothing wrong with nudity on stage- but the question here- as it is now b being discussed by me and others- who have changed this conversation from- Who Have You Seen Naked?- to is it necessary to see naked bodies in the theater or is it merely a commercial ploy to sell tickets and generate conversation?- I think the cards are way stacked on the side of it is NOT necessary to show nudity- characterization and drama are communicated by skilled directors and actors- but if you want to see some big star naked- or the director wants to add a bit of spice- fine by me. Is it necessary- NO. But, it is also usually not particularly offensive in this day and age."

I'd say it depends on the play. For example, I would say nudity is necessary in Equus as it is mirroring Adam and Eve's shame before God after they gain carnal knowledge, as well as the vulnerability before him. Peter Shaffer was very interested in man's relationship with the idea of God, what it meant to be in the presence of Him, because of this, yes Alan has to be naked in that final scene. 

In Take Me Out, it is necessary because of the setting. A majority of the play takes place in the locker room, and a lot of it takes place in the showers. It is natural to shower naked. It becomes weird if they are showering in shorts. The nudity also plays into the themes of the play, and helps bring those themes to the forefront. James Ivory makes a great point about including nudity in natural settings here: James Ivory on nudity

The revival of South Pacific, on the other hand, was nudity for the sake if nudity, and earned it's cheap laugh. Was it objectionable? No. Was it necessary? Also no.

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#254re: Who Have You Seen Naked on Stage?
Posted: 1/19/20 at 10:43am

jimmycurry01 said: "BWAY Baby2 said: "Okay- perhaps seeing nudityon stage at some point in the 60's or 70's or 80's was a political act- fine by me- and I went to the Gaity near BWAY many times when I was in my twenties- and there is nothing wrong with nudity on stage- but the question here- as it is now b being discussed by me and others- who have changed this conversation from- Who Have You Seen Naked?- to is it necessary to see naked bodies in the theater or is it merely a commercial ploy to sell tickets and generate conversation?- I think the cards are way stacked on the side of it is NOT necessary to show nudity- characterization and drama are communicated by skilled directors and actors- but if you want to see some big star naked- or the director wants to add a bit of spice- fine by me. Is it necessary- NO. But, it is also usually not particularly offensive in this day and age."

I'd say it depends on the play. For example, I would say nudity is necessary in Equus as it is mirroring Adam and Eve's shame before God after they gain carnal knowledge, as well as the vulnerability before him. Peter Shaffer was very interested in man's relationship with the idea of God, what it meant to be in the presence of Him, because of this, yes Alan has to be naked in that final scene.

In Take Me Out, it is necessary because of the setting. A majority of the play takes place in the locker room, and a lot of it takes place in the showers. It is natural to shower naked. It becomes weird if they are showering in shorts. The nudity also plays into the themes of the play, and helps bring those themes to the forefront. James Ivory makes a great point about including nudity in natural settings here:James Ivory on nudity

The revival of South Pacific, on the other hand, was nudity for the sake if nudity, and earned it's cheap laugh. Was it objectionable? No. Was it necessary? Also no.
"

There was nudity in the revival of South Pacific?

I saw the tour in Chicago, and don't recall any.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#255re: Who Have You Seen Naked on Stage?
Posted: 1/19/20 at 11:18am

Paul Alexander Nolan in Slave Play. 

BWAY Baby2
#256re: Who Have You Seen Naked on Stage?
Posted: 1/19/20 at 3:46pm

Yes--what about him?

smidge
#257re: Who Have You Seen Naked on Stage?
Posted: 1/19/20 at 5:55pm

BWAY Baby2 said: "Yes--what about him?"

You didn't see the title of the thread?

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#258re: Who Have You Seen Naked on Stage?
Posted: 1/19/20 at 8:16pm

The London cast of Oh! Calcutta!
Duchess Theatre, 1976.

Chowd95 Profile Photo
Chowd95
#259re: Who Have You Seen Naked on Stage?
Posted: 1/20/20 at 5:26am

Quite a few over the years but I've gotta say Ian Barford in "Linda Vista" was particularly memorable. After having some pretty bizarre sex with a blind date he had to stand there as she finished herself and then have a lengthy conversation with her, all while completely naked.

theatreguy12
#260re: Who Have You Seen Naked on Stage?
Posted: 1/20/20 at 6:39pm

Maybe just go see a sex show or hang out in the mens showers at the gym and ogle the guys as they come out of the showers. Why pay $100-$200 to see it?  I mean, if that's all it's about.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#261re: Who Have You Seen Naked on Stage?
Posted: 1/20/20 at 10:14pm

theatreguy12 said: "Maybe just go see a sex show or hang out in the mens showers at the gym and ogle the guys as they come out of the showers. Why pay $100-$200 to see it? I mean, if that's all it's about."

No one has said that's all it's about.

BalconyClub Profile Photo
BalconyClub
#262re: Who Have You Seen Naked on Stage?
Posted: 1/20/20 at 10:27pm

In the gym, my penis looks like a thimble under fluorescent lights. But place it under flattering, subtle stage lights, and it's suddenly a huge rocketship.

atuomala Profile Photo
atuomala
#263re: Who Have You Seen Naked on Stage?
Posted: 1/30/20 at 12:48pm

Lee Pace in “Angels in America“
Amanda Seyfried in “The Way We Get By”
Benjamin Walker in “Cat On A Hot Tin Roof”
Joshua Jackson in “Smart People”

"Mostly, I loved the size of these people's emotions. Nobody has emotions this size anymore. Outsized emotions. Operatic emotions. Kushemski and Vanda are like Tristan and Isolde, they're Paolo and Francesca. Nobody's in total thrall like this anymore. Nobody's overcome by passion like this, or goes through this kind of rage." Thomas, Venus in Fur

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#264re: Who Have You Seen Naked on Stage?
Posted: 1/31/20 at 2:53pm

BalconyClub said: "In the gym, my penis looks like a thimble under fluorescent lights. But place it under flattering, subtle stage lights, and it's suddenly a huge rocketship."

yes

Proof, please....  blush

Updated On: 2/1/20 at 02:53 PM

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#265re: Who Have You Seen Naked on Stage?
Posted: 4/27/20 at 8:59pm

Carrie Coon and Namir Smallwood in Bug at Steppenwolf Chicago.
Carrie was in terrific shape.
Namir's wood was hardly that small.