Recent cast album "must-haves"

sing_dance_love Profile Photo
sing_dance_love
#1Recent cast album "must-haves"
Posted: 12/24/07 at 12:18am

SO, my parents found a $30 itunes card in the parking lot at Target and brought it home. They probably should have returned it, but it was already home so I figured I might as well see if it worked. And it did! So now I have $30 in itunes and I'm not sure what to get. So I was looking at some of the cast albums and theatrical recordigs they have and kind of landed between:

110 in the Shade (w/ Audra)
Lovemisik
Victoria Clark- 15 Seconds of Grace
Fame Becomes Me
The Pirate Queen
Curtains
Alice Ripley/Emily Skinner Raw at Town Hall

So seeing how I can only afford three-ish, which do you reccomend?

I know the Pirate Queen PRODUCTION was super lame, but is the score and resulting album worth it? What about Fame Becomes Me?

And any other recent cast albums or theatrical recordings that you love, please let me know.

What are YOUR must-haves?

"...and in a bed."

shesamarshmallow
#2re: Recent cast album 'must-haves'
Posted: 12/24/07 at 12:22am

I would go with 110 and LoveMusik (from what I hear the CD is better than the production).

And definitely at least get "Big Black Lady" from Fame Becomes Me.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

husk_charmer
#2re: Recent cast album 'must-haves'
Posted: 12/24/07 at 12:26am

FAME BECOMES ME is definitely worth it, so is CURTAINS

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#3re: Recent cast album 'must-haves'
Posted: 12/24/07 at 12:39am

Out of those I'd pick 110 in the Shade, LoveMusik and The Pirate Queen. Fame Becomes Me and Curtains can suck it.

RentBoy86
#4re: Recent cast album 'must-haves'
Posted: 12/24/07 at 1:05am

I found the Pirate Queen music to actually be pretty good. I'm sure what was done with it in the theater, but I love most of the songs, so I'd recommend that one. Also, I think 110 in the Shade is great, but without knowing/seeing Audra's performance it's merley okay. Lovemusik is pretty good, but hard to get into at first, unless you know Weil's music beforehand.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#5re: Recent cast album 'must-haves'
Posted: 12/24/07 at 1:14am

Of the 3 I'd Get

110 in the Shade
Victoria Clark
Emily and Alice

I found Pirate Queen to be a painful, labored listen. Hasn't left my shelf since I got it.

neddyfrank2
#6re: Recent cast album 'must-haves'
Posted: 12/24/07 at 1:27am

Curtains
Victoria Clark

RentBoy86
#7re: Recent cast album 'must-haves'
Posted: 12/24/07 at 1:28am

I guess it all comes back to personal taste. If you like Les Miz or "big" musicals with a "big" sound, then I'd go with Pirate Queen. If you like a more simple musical, go with 110 in the Shade or Lovemusik. If you like Victoria Clark's voice (which I don't) then go for her solo Cd. It's kind of hard to tell you what to get.

sing_dance_love
#8re: Recent cast album 'must-haves'
Posted: 12/24/07 at 1:33am

I guess at this point its between Lovemusik and Pirate Queen. I'm for sure getting Victoria Clark (LOVE her, and Piazza is my favorite musical) and I saw 110 in March and Audra was nothing short of fantastic, so I'm going to get that too.

I love Boublil and Schoenberg's work (I've always felt Saigon is genius) and enjoy sung-through big dramatic shows in general. But I also love the performers from Lovemusik but not sure if Weill is for me, though I'm not too overly familiar with his work.

I'm kind of torn.

EDIT: I'm going to take a chance on Pirate Queen. We'll see! Though I'll probably get Lovemusik too soon. Thanks everyone for your help!

"...and in a bed."
Updated On: 12/24/07 at 01:33 AM

mywonderwa11 Profile Photo
mywonderwa11
#9re: Recent cast album 'must-haves'
Posted: 12/24/07 at 2:11am

Is Xanadu not on iTunes yet? If so...you should definitely get that! I'm obsessed with my copy of the cast recording.

"Somethin's comin', I don't know what it is but it is gonna be great!"

jeniferrenepatricia Profile Photo
jeniferrenepatricia
#10re: Recent cast album 'must-haves'
Posted: 12/24/07 at 4:02am

Ditto!! "Xanadu" is a must have!!!!

Acting should be bigger than life. Scripts should be bigger than life. It should all be bigger than life.- Bette Davis

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#11re: Recent cast album 'must-haves'
Posted: 12/24/07 at 4:16am

Xanadu is not on itunes yet, but Young Frankenstein is! Get that one. I don't care what people say, I love the score, and I adore Megan singing the "Transylvania Mania Blues" which is itunes exclusive and a must have!

jeniferrenepatricia Profile Photo
jeniferrenepatricia
#12re: Recent cast album 'must-haves'
Posted: 12/24/07 at 5:09am

Love YF also....thanks!

Acting should be bigger than life. Scripts should be bigger than life. It should all be bigger than life.- Bette Davis

lesmis Profile Photo
lesmis
#13re: Recent cast album 'must-haves'
Posted: 12/24/07 at 7:26am

Pirate Queen or LoveMusik

pushdabutton Profile Photo
pushdabutton
#14re: Recent cast album 'must-haves'
Posted: 12/24/07 at 7:33am

Out of that list I would go with 110 in the Shade. How about supplementing your music collection with at least one older cast albums that you don't have like Phantom of the Opera, Miss Saigon, Little Shop of Horrors, Lion King etc. Just a thought.

Let us know what you decide to buy and enjoy!

sing_dance_love
#15re: Recent cast album 'must-haves'
Posted: 12/24/07 at 7:57am

I have Phantom, Saigon, and plenty of older ones and needed some new to even out my collection.

I ended up with 110 in the Shade, Victoria Clark: Fifteen Seconds of Grace, and The Pirate Queen.

The Pirate Queen is.... wow, not good. I'm usually really good at finding redeeming qualities and being generally positive, but its really just not good. I see miniscule hints of Boublil/Schoenberg magic in "Woman", "Here on This Night" "I'll Be There" and "She Who Has All", but that makes the effort even more disappointing. Though I'll give it a second listen because it takes me a while to warm to things,(I liked "Woman" more and more after re-listening to it) but I'm not too optimistic. Too bad, considering the talent involved.

Victoria's disc is very interesting. Low-key and contemplative kind of like Audra's "Build a Bridge" album. Some songs are beautiful and some I'm not sure about but I'll definitely need to re-listen to this one.

110 In The Shade instantly brought back vivid memories from seeing the show in may (And I saw the AMAZING performance that was the first one Audra did after her father's death). The music is fun and her numbers in particular are strikingly beautiful. I got chills like I've never had before listening to "Old Maid" for the first time since seeing the show. A really well done album and another breathtaking performance from Audra McDonald.

"...and in a bed."

pushdabutton Profile Photo
pushdabutton
#16re: Recent cast album 'must-haves'
Posted: 12/24/07 at 10:03am

Sounds like you have a great collection of cast recordings. Enjoy your new purchases!

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#17re: Recent cast album 'must-haves'
Posted: 12/24/07 at 10:14am

The Xanadu recording is bland at best and captures none of the energy from the show

110 Is great as is Curtains also Legally Blonde

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

stella985 Profile Photo
stella985
#18re: Recent cast album 'must-haves'
Posted: 12/24/07 at 10:17am

Anyone know when the Xanadu recording will be released on itunes?

focusingonmoviesmatt Profile Photo
focusingonmoviesmatt
#19re: Recent cast album 'must-haves'
Posted: 12/24/07 at 10:27am

bare and zanadu.

theaterlover45 Profile Photo
theaterlover45
#20re: Recent cast album 'must-haves'
Posted: 12/24/07 at 12:17pm

I also would like to know when Xanadu will be on itunes.

sgv123
#21re: Recent cast album 'must-haves'
Posted: 12/26/07 at 9:29pm

i thought the xanadu recording didnt come out until jan. 8th

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#22re: Recent cast album 'must-haves'
Posted: 12/26/07 at 9:42pm

You should get the LOVEMUSIK cast recording to wash off the bad taste of PIRATE QUEEN.
The 110 IN THE SHADE revival cast recording is pretty good.
Out of all the new ones I think LOVEMUSIK, CURTAINS, 110 IN THE SHADE, and Andrea Burns' solo album are the best ones. YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN is just to get the few songs that are good online (aka Megan Mullally's songs).

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

RentBoy86
#23re: Recent cast album 'must-haves'
Posted: 12/26/07 at 11:12pm

I went to Barnes and Noble today, but I couldn't bring myself to buy the Young Frakenstein album. Nothing about it really captured me. I liked The Producers alright, but none of the cast members will made me want to get it. Who knows, maybe I'll eventually pick it up.

Pirate Queen really grew on me after a few listens on car trips. It's in no way a masterpiece, but it's a nice listen, and certain songs are beautiful. The worst part, however, is the horrible electric guitar. I understand what they were trying to do, but it just didn't work on any level.

sgv123
#24re: Recent cast album 'must-haves'
Posted: 12/26/07 at 11:23pm

i got xanadu from borders today.

Videos