pixeltracker

Student Expeled from art school for quoting Sweeney Todd- Page 3

Student Expeled from art school for quoting Sweeney Todd

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#50re: Student Expeled from art school for quoting Sweeney Todd
Posted: 12/27/07 at 6:05pm

Ok..so you won't name the school. Is "drama" the only reason why. (As you stated in your 1st post)

Just give the world Love.

ashbash1990 Profile Photo
ashbash1990
#51re: Student Expeled from art school for quoting Sweeney Todd
Posted: 12/27/07 at 7:27pm

Nevermind...

What a night! I was in more laps than a napkin!
Updated On: 12/27/07 at 07:27 PM

SpellingBeeFan4Ever Profile Photo
SpellingBeeFan4Ever
#52re: Student Expeled from art school for quoting Sweeney Todd
Posted: 12/29/07 at 9:14pm

Don't shoot me for bumping this up but, I belive him. Because of how crappy as stuff in my life has been, I find his story belivable. Now, don't insult me for saying this but I actually think he should go to the news. It's rediculous. And yes, I also can't spell. Sue me!

He's a faker, and you've been taken in by his con. And in doing so, you are enabling him. He is doing more damage to aspergers than papa's words ever could. -Chane/Liverpool on me having asperger syndrome.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#53re: Student Expeled from art school for quoting Sweeney Todd
Posted: 12/29/07 at 9:31pm

I am not sure I believe him or not. But, I can understand them hearing you out and then giving you a suspesnion and the putting the thing to bed.

It is not uncommon in a school to have a trial like setting when there is a conflect. To bring together the two parties so that they can tell thier sides of the story to the people or person in charge and then letting them make a verdict.

I do have troble thinking that they would listen to your side of the story suspend you. Then call and say that your expelled. There has to be eiather something that your not telling us. Or someting that your parents never told you.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#54re: Student Expeled from art school for quoting Sweeney Todd
Posted: 12/29/07 at 9:36pm

I mean, seriously, people. It's the internet. Some browsers have spell checkers built in?

And my one of my BWW New Year Resolutions is to not jump to conclusions, so I need clarification. Was the comment about it not being as big of a deal because the person wasn't Jewish a joke? Personally, I think it's MORE offensive, just as I do when someone uses "gay" as a pejorative.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#55re: Student Expeled from art school for quoting Sweeney Todd
Posted: 12/29/07 at 10:21pm

Phyllis,

They were saying that it wasn't that big a deal and shouldn't be considered that big a deal because the guy in qustion was not Jewish.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

SpellingBeeFan4Ever
#56re: Student Expeled from art school for quoting Sweeney Todd
Posted: 12/29/07 at 10:28pm

That is exactly what I was saying.

He's a faker, and you've been taken in by his con. And in doing so, you are enabling him. He is doing more damage to aspergers than papa's words ever could. -Chane/Liverpool on me having asperger syndrome.

Annas_Priest Profile Photo
Annas_Priest
#57re: Student Expeled from art school for quoting Sweeney Todd
Posted: 12/29/07 at 10:28pm

Thank you spellingbea

I am figiting in now.

The local media is set to air the story next wensday

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#58re: Student Expeled from art school for quoting Sweeney Todd
Posted: 12/29/07 at 10:33pm

Okay then. So you really don't understand why that's insulting? Would you say someone is "jewing" you when they try to bilk you out of money?

misschung
#59re: Student Expeled from art school for quoting Sweeney Todd
Posted: 12/29/07 at 11:04pm

oy!

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

SpellingBeeFan4Ever
#60re: Student Expeled from art school for quoting Sweeney Todd
Posted: 12/29/07 at 11:06pm

Good for you Annas_Priest. Can you record it then pm me it to me?

Lenexajones Profile Photo
Lenexajones
#61re: Student Expeled from art school for quoting Sweeney Todd
Posted: 12/30/07 at 12:26am

Other than enjoying the drama of a battle, why would you want to continue to go to such a clueless school. You should be thrilled to be rid of them and move on to a better school. I would also suggest that when you get to another school, pay attention in class and save the transcription of lyrics for your time, not their time. You will be amazed at the respect you will get from your instructors if you show them the respect of actually listening and interacting in the classes. Just an observation. Why fight the battle at this point. Your energy should be spent elsewhere.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#62re: Student Expeled from art school for quoting Sweeney Todd
Posted: 12/30/07 at 12:08pm

I agree.

For instanse there are some kids in my school me being one of them who carry thier own laptops to take notes off of. There is a strict no internet in school policy. Howeve, some kids have been tempted to go online regardless of what the rule says. And when they get caught they don't understand why they are getting repremanded for using the internet. They think that it was their own personal laptopl they were using thus there should be no problem considering they were not using a school computer and using thier onw.

It is the same thing here. The school didn't want you to write stuff like that down and you did it during class time which is not personal time at all. That is why they are angry. They don't want you to A write that stuff down period and B use class time for personal reasons.

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#63re: Student Expeled from art school for quoting Sweeney Todd
Posted: 12/30/07 at 12:31pm

Winston, I have a present for you: a dictionary. Read it well. You'll have to write a book report! Just kidding, but Winston, please use spell check.

thier: their
laptopl: laptop
onw: own

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

binau Profile Photo
binau
#64re: Student Expeled from art school for quoting Sweeney Todd
Posted: 9/1/09 at 8:16am

*bump*, what happened to this :P?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#65re: Student Expeled from art school for quoting Sweeney Todd
Posted: 9/1/09 at 10:43am

Yeah! Link us to the local news media coverage...I'm sure you still have the links!

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#66re: Student Expeled from art school for quoting Sweeney Todd
Posted: 9/1/09 at 10:49am

The op still posts here and has as recently as today...you'd think he would have kept us up to date from almost 2 years ago.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#67re: Student Expeled from art school for quoting Sweeney Todd
Posted: 9/1/09 at 11:06am

I'm going to say I believe him, just because something (luckily not quite as severe) happened to me in fourth grade. My best friend and I were writing campy stories about killer barbie dolls, and we put the stories inside each other's desks before going out to recess so we could read each other's stories. But we didn't know that teacher was switching who was sitting in what desk during recess, so when we came back, we were all in different seats.

Needless to say, the two girls who got our notes were terrified. (Especially my friend's began with "Tomorrow you will get a package in the mail. It will contain your doom." This was right after 9/11, during the anthrax scare...) We both had to go to counseling for making threats and had detention, however much we and our parents tried to explain.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

frapperia
#68re: Student Expeled from art school for quoting Sweeney Todd
Posted: 9/1/09 at 11:22am

I'm more shocked at SpellingBeeFan's disgusting anti-Semitism than the OP's story!

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#69re: Student Expeled from art school for quoting Sweeney Todd
Posted: 9/1/09 at 11:37am

Yeah, but SpellingBeeFann is literally just a troll, whereas the OP isn't obviously just being inflammatory.

I don't know if I believe the story or not, but to go from suspension-on-Wednesday to expulsion-on-Friday isn't so unbelievable. The school says "hey, buddy, what's the big idea?", so the OP says "lol, Sweeney Todd lyrics, see?", and the school says "I see. Just a suspension for you then". While the OP is suspended, the school go "hey, crazy ex, WTF? Sweeney Todd lyrics!", and the ex goes "um... yeah... well, we saw Sweeney Todd together, and during a really violent scene, he leaned over and said 'if you ever leave me, I'm going to slit your throat with a razor and bake you into a pie'". It's very much her word against his, and I'm not exactly sorry to say it's best to err on the side of caution when someone accuses someone else of threatening violence against them. So were it true, it's not wholly implausible.

Updated On: 9/1/09 at 11:37 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#70re: Student Expeled from art school for quoting Sweeney Todd
Posted: 9/1/09 at 11:42am

But this is nearly TWO years old...who cares!!!!!!

(But I do find it hard to believe that a hearing was held without his presence, where decisions were made.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#71re: Student Expeled from art school for quoting Sweeney Todd
Posted: 9/1/09 at 11:50am

Well, qolbinau cares. re: Student Expeled from art school for quoting Sweeney Todd And I wouldn't have posted if there hadn't been a couple more replies, if that counts for anything. XD

Annas_Priest Profile Photo
Annas_Priest
#72re: Student Expeled from art school for quoting Sweeney Todd
Posted: 9/1/09 at 12:18pm

Hey guys, thanks for the thoughts.

I have moved on with my life. While it did hurt a great deal when it happened, the best thing to do in a situation like this is to count your blessings and keep going.

I have an amazing girlfriend who I plan on asking to mary me very soon, I have an amazing church to fall back on, I am a high school grad, and I am looking forward to going to college in the fall (I took a year off).

In short not one thing is taken lightly in the schools today. Just watch what you say and who you say it to. And if something like this does happen, you have two equal choices. 1, fight with all your might and give the school what they deserve. Or 2, move on and just forgive and forget. Either one can turn out great, I'm living proof!

:)

*Edited for careless typos*

Updated On: 9/1/09 at 12:18 PM

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#73re: Student Expeled from art school for quoting Sweeney Todd
Posted: 9/1/09 at 12:30pm

Did the local media ever air anything at least? Amends or no amends, they deserve to look foolish. For godssakes, you could have said you were memorizing the lyrics for a Steve Sondheim tribute. I think the people on here who are defending the actions of the school are thoroughly in error; such thinking is the byproduct of how stupid, insecure and bureaucratic our natio has become.

George Carlin: "Most Americans are soft and frightened and unimaginative and they don't realize there's such a thing as dangerous fun, and they certainly don't recognize a good show when they see one...As far as I'm concerned, all of this airport security - all the searches, the screenings, the cameras, the questions - it's just one more way of reducing your liberty and reminding you that they can **** with you any time they want, as long as you put up with it, as long as you put up with it...which means of course, anytime they want, because that's what Americans do now...they're always willing to trade away a little of their freedom for the feeling - the illusion - of security."

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

Fosse76
#74re: Student Expeled from art school for quoting Sweeney Todd
Posted: 9/1/09 at 12:31pm

Even the most mediocre of attorneys could have gotten the school to back off. You should have fought it.