YF on Letterman

it'sjustshowbiz Profile Photo
it'sjustshowbiz
#25re: YF on Letterman
Posted: 1/4/08 at 3:40am

This solidified my choice to not see this show.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#26re: YF on Letterman
Posted: 1/4/08 at 3:43am

"This solidified my choice to not see this show."

You're really going to determine not to see this show based on one song you saw on David Letterman? Which was not even performed in its entirety? Although in my opinion one of my favorite songs, there is so much better to the show than just "Roll in the Hay."

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Updated On: 1/4/08 at 03:43 AM

it'sjustshowbiz Profile Photo
it'sjustshowbiz
#27re: YF on Letterman
Posted: 1/4/08 at 3:49am

^
Yes. Why would I pay for something that I wouldn't like?

DrTheatre Profile Photo
DrTheatre
#28re: YF on Letterman
Posted: 1/4/08 at 3:52am

"You're really going to determine not to see this show based on one song you saw on David Letterman?"

To some people that would be a yes. One of the main reasons for spots like this are to get the average person to buy tickets. If someone sees this and simply does not like what they see, based on what they see and it does not prompt them to buy tickets then yes. It is publicity for them, if someone saw this and says, no way, then that is what they will do.

We as theater people know much than the average person does about theater and therefore take our changes by seeing the whole picture than what is simply shown to use as spots on talk shows or any other ads that might be shown to us.

"In the U.S.A. You can have your say, You can set you goals And seize the day, You've been given the freedom To work your way To the head of the line- To the head of the line!" ---Stephen Sondheim

millie_dillmount
#29re: YF on Letterman
Posted: 1/4/08 at 3:52am

Because it is a minor song from the show in comparison to some of the other songs.

Have you even seen the video clips of the show or even heard the rest of the cast recording?

EDIT: "We as theater people know much than the average person does about theater and therefore take our changes by seeing the whole picture than what is simply shown to use as spots on talk shows or any other ads that might be shown to us."

Exactly. I see your point, which is why I'm questioning showbiz's view on the show. Is he/she just the average person who doesn't know much about theater or an avid theater-goer who knows not to judge a show based on one TV spot?

I've seen many TV spots and video clips that made the show seem unimpressive, but then saw the show and had a blast. Then I've seen things I've been wowed with on TV/in video clips, but then saw the show and have been bored. Just pointing out that what you see on TV may not always be the best representation of the show, especially if things are cut down for time reasons.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Updated On: 1/4/08 at 03:52 AM

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#30re: YF on Letterman
Posted: 1/4/08 at 8:40am

I agree. Don't let one show performed out of the context of the show determine whether or not you see it. While its not my favorite number in the show by far, the show itself is entertaining and worth seeing.

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

BrianIdol Profile Photo
BrianIdol
#31re: YF on Letterman
Posted: 1/4/08 at 9:38am

to me, that IS the best song in the show (by far).....so I would not blame anyone for not seeing the show if they didn't like it.

millie_dillmount
#32re: YF on Letterman
Posted: 1/4/08 at 10:48am

BrianIdol, that song was also performed out of context and slightly cut down. Most avid theatergoers on here should know that. Again, I've seen crappy TV performances, but gave the show a chance, and had a blast. I wouldn't base my decision to see something based on one live TV performance. I'd also take into account other clips and media available, word of mouth, and reviews.

me2 Profile Photo
me2
#33re: YF on Letterman
Posted: 1/4/08 at 1:10pm

Not having seen the show, I totally bought the trees effect. When Foster stepped over the side of the wagon, I was momentarily worried about her falling off.

It is interesting, though, that this scene feels like it could have been in THE PRODUCERS--same style of humor, same characters . . .
Broadway Blog: In Celebration of Wicked

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#34re: YF on Letterman
Posted: 1/4/08 at 1:19pm

Having seen the show already, that lackluster David Letterman performance truly represents the whole show. To many, it seems. I was one of the many that was disappointed and somewhat heartbroken that the show was indeed a rehash of the original film. I think it would have worked better as a play than a musical. Everytime a song/number came on, it just halted the flow of the show for me. No need to even mention those horrid dance numbers. Oy!

Still wish I could get my full priced ticket refunded.

gymdudeva
#35re: YF on Letterman
Posted: 1/4/08 at 1:19pm

I have not seen the show, and it doesn't seem like my cup of tea. And it's rare that I think a B'way number comes across well on TV.

That said, I think YF came across very well on Letterman. It may not make me want to rush out to the show, but it was much better than I expected. The trees and horses effects looked really cool. (In fact, I was sort of wondering how the horses were done, then at the end they showed the two guys taking off their hourse heads heh.). And Letterman actually seemed to like it, and said so, which is rare.

SpellingBeeFan4Ever Profile Photo
SpellingBeeFan4Ever
#36re: YF on Letterman
Posted: 1/4/08 at 1:24pm

I fell in love with Avenue Q back in 2004. But the material gets old. Really old.

He's a faker, and you've been taken in by his con. And in doing so, you are enabling him. He is doing more damage to aspergers than papa's words ever could. -Chane/Liverpool on me having asperger syndrome.

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#37re: YF on Letterman
Posted: 1/4/08 at 1:36pm

Go to the naughty site and search for Young Frankenstein and Megan Mullally, and watch that crazy lady perform! It is wonderful! She is fantastic!

worrell4077
#38re: YF on Letterman
Posted: 1/4/08 at 2:20pm

I didn't watch the Letterman performance but I do own the cast album and watch the video clips from the show and saw the Today Show performances and I still want to see the show. To me, YF seems more like a SpamAlot, basically the movie onstage with new musical numbers.

I also wanted to say that the shows that perform on Letterman don't usually do great performances on Letterman. The Jersey Boys performance and the Spring Awakening performance were abit off when they were on Letterman.

Glory Profile Photo
Glory
#39re: YF on Letterman
Posted: 1/4/08 at 2:42pm

is it online at all anywhere? I fell asleep last night and missed it!

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#40re: YF on Letterman
Posted: 1/4/08 at 2:45pm

I was wondering the same thing Glory! I also missed it.

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

deadparrot
#41re: YF on Letterman
Posted: 1/4/08 at 2:45pm

I'm sure it'll be on That Site in a day or so.

overthemoon419 Profile Photo
overthemoon419
#42re: YF on Letterman
Posted: 1/4/08 at 3:41pm

I actually found Megan Mullally quite disappointing. Madeline Kahn, she ain't.

Roger Bart is adorable, Christopher Fitzgerald and Andrea Martin are hysterical, but the Letterman clip was pretty spot-on: the show is disappointing. A few cute moments, nothing truly memorable, a talented cast with not enough to do dwarfed by the massive sets and quote-unquote edgy humour.

Mary Poppins is right across the street, people. That's all I'm gonna say.

"It's not for sissies, contrary to popular belief." - Tommy Tune, on musical theatre.

My avatar: Yummy, no?

ILuv2shop531
#43re: YF on Letterman
Posted: 1/4/08 at 5:18pm

can someone put it on youtube?, totally spaced about it being on, sure other might have to.

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#44re: YF on Letterman
Posted: 1/4/08 at 5:54pm

"looong love....increeeeeeeeeeeeeedibly looong love" Her face during that is priceless. And when she enters with all the "it's me"'s...genius (because this well known star hasn't been on stage for most of Act I!)

RentBoy86
#45re: YF on Letterman
Posted: 1/4/08 at 7:36pm

Roger Bart just gets on my nerves. He's trying so hard to be funny rather than just letting the situation be funny. All the weird looks and stuff were a bit much. And the song is just sort of lame. It's the same reason I didn't want to buy the Producers cast album because the songs are sort of just there (albeit, the Producers songs seemed to fit into the show better). I would like to see the show and figure it out for myself, but tickets for this show are so freaking expensive.

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#46re: YF on Letterman
Posted: 1/6/08 at 4:51pm

For those who are interested the video is now up on "the site".

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

Robos89
#47re: YF on Letterman
Posted: 1/6/08 at 6:05pm

Ehh...Sutton was alright. I didn't feel much energy coming from her...or that "high spirit" of which she speaks (in this particular performance). When I saw the show, she was GREAT!!!!

?

millie_dillmount
#48re: YF on Letterman
Posted: 1/6/08 at 6:06pm

I just watched it, and I honestly don't think that was the best representation of the show. Everyone was a bit off in that song. So, yeah, I would not judge the show based on that one video.

alfgiotir Profile Photo
alfgiotir
#49re: YF on Letterman
Posted: 1/6/08 at 6:24pm

search...LETTERMAN 01-03-08: Young Frankenstein on that site.