Joseph and the Amazing...

wickedfan5
#1Joseph and the Amazing...
Posted: 1/2/08 at 2:04am

Can someone please tell me a brief summary of Joseph and the Amazing... and if it is a good show to be in it. My school is putting this musical in the spring and I still haven't decide if i want to audition. so if anyone can help me, thanks.

patti+bettysgirl Profile Photo
patti+bettysgirl
#2re: Joseph and the Amazing...
Posted: 1/2/08 at 2:23am

It is based on the story on the bible about Joseph and his coat of many colors in Genesis.
Basically Joseph is one of Jacobs 12 sons (the 12 tribes of Isreal) and is his dads favorite. Jacob gives him the coat and it makes his brothers hate him with jealousy. Joseph has prophetic dreams about someday ruling over them which makes them angrier. They trick him and sell him into slavery and tell Jacob that he is dead.
He is the slave of Potiphar, an Egyptian, and is seduced by Potiphars wife, which gets imprisoned when Potiphar walks in on them. The pharaoh is having bad dreams and finds out that Joseph can interpret them. He tells the Pharaoh that they mean there will be 7 years of feast and 7 years of famine. The pharaoh is grateful and Joseph eventually becomes very powerful in Egypt.
His brothers are left hungry by the famine and come to Egypt to try to get food. They have no idea that they are begging Joseph for it. He gives them food and then frames one of his brothers by planting a golden cup in his bag. The brothers beg him to be merciful and that is when Joseph tells them who he is. His father comes and yada yada everyone is happy.

The story is told (well, sung) by a female narrator which would be an awesome role if you can get it. I like Joseph very much, you should try to get some of the songs on iTunes.
There was a DVD made too, so you may be able to find some clips on youtube.

Hope that helps you decide :)

Updated On: 1/2/08 at 02:23 AM

BlueColorPencils Profile Photo
BlueColorPencils
#2re: Joseph and the Amazing...
Posted: 1/2/08 at 2:25am

Yes you should audition! It's a great musical! :)

If you're still not sure, there's a video version of the musical.. go rent it at your local library. Or theres always youtube..

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#3re: Joseph and the Amazing...
Posted: 1/2/08 at 2:28am

You forgot to mention what a gay time it is!

BlueColorPencils
#4re: Joseph and the Amazing...
Posted: 1/2/08 at 2:30am

sarcasm?

CATSNYrevival
#5re: Joseph and the Amazing...
Posted: 1/2/08 at 2:36am

I'm not sure. It's the gayest show I've ever been in. Though, we added the bit where the Baker hit on Joseph and then made out with the Butler...

BlueColorPencils
#6re: Joseph and the Amazing...
Posted: 1/2/08 at 2:40am

hahaha... well then. Thats all together quite ironic.

I like it.. oh well.

Updated On: 1/2/08 at 02:40 AM

CATSNYrevival
#7re: Joseph and the Amazing...
Posted: 1/2/08 at 3:09am

I miss Joseph. To its credit it's a lot of fun to be in. If you have a fun cast.

Anddou
#8re: Joseph and the Amazing...
Posted: 1/2/08 at 4:26am

If I were you, I would LOVE to be in Joseph re: Joseph and the Amazing... It is one of my favorite musicals!

#9re: Joseph and the Amazing...
Posted: 1/2/08 at 10:37am

Excrutiating show. Each of the songs is a "Pastiche" of some pop form- Elvis, Country, French. I'd call it unendurable but people seem to like it. The original wasn't too bad- at least it moved quickly- but the current version is bloated with extended songs and a pointless mega-mix curtain call where they basically sing the entire show again.

CarolynW Profile Photo
CarolynW
#10re: Joseph and the Amazing...
Posted: 1/2/08 at 11:07am

There are official photos, audio and video files of the latest version on the JOSEPH the musical site for the current London production. Check there.

There are also some photos of various non-professional productions on the RUG Website under PUT ON A SHOW. Your group can also advertise there. http://www.reallyuseful.com/

Yours,

Carolyn
Official JOSEPH musical site

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#11re: Joseph and the Amazing...
Posted: 1/2/08 at 11:09am

Of course you should audition!

hermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
#12re: Joseph and the Amazing...
Posted: 1/2/08 at 12:21pm

I was in Joseph many years ago. It was ALOT of fun! You should definitely audition. re: Joseph and the Amazing...

So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?

lightguy06222
#13re: Joseph and the Amazing...
Posted: 1/2/08 at 4:08pm

jesus that new song in the london version "king of my heart" or something like that SUCKS the big one!!!

Jonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
#14re: Joseph and the Amazing...
Posted: 1/2/08 at 4:11pm

I have been in 3 or 4 productions of the show and it has always been my favorite show to do. You should definitly do the show..

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#15re: Joseph and the Amazing...
Posted: 1/2/08 at 5:13pm

It's a very short musical as there is no book, just a series of songs. The show proper lasts about 1 hour but they expand it by adding disco-styled reprises as an extended finale, adn soem productions open with the closing songs - Any Dream Will do - to further pad the running time. The score is upbeat and fun with a number of anachronistic contemporary (50s/60s) references. Schools and community groups love it because it is relatively cheap to produce and seems to draw crowds - like flies.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

CATSNYrevival
#16re: Joseph and the Amazing...
Posted: 1/2/08 at 5:32pm

An hour is a little short. Our show was about an hour and a half with the extended versions of all the songs including the Any Dream Will Do prologue, the hoedown, the "Journey to Egypt" song, the tango or apache dance and the megamix. That's pretty much the "standard" production these days as far as I know. Or at least that's how it was presented in our music books. And I love "King of My Heart"! Does anyone know the alternate lyrics that I assume the Narrator must sing to transition into that song?

wickedfan5
#17re: Joseph and the Amazing...
Posted: 1/3/08 at 7:28pm

thanks guys i think i finally made my choice. I'm going to audition. Thank you again

gypsy4
#18re: Joseph and the Amazing...
Posted: 1/3/08 at 9:01pm

when I saw the show it was 2 and a half hours but that was with the overture and entre act alot of theatres omit those.its such a fun show.
Updated On: 1/3/08 at 09:01 PM

me2 Profile Photo
me2
#19re: Joseph and the Amazing...
Posted: 1/3/08 at 9:43pm

JOSEPH is always an intensely popular show with high schools, and I honestly think it's a show better suited to high schools than Broadway. Audition--you will have a great time.
Broadway Blog: In Celebration of Wicked

EdmundOG
#20re: Joseph and the Amazing...
Posted: 1/3/08 at 10:25pm

If I ever directed this show, I think I could keep it at one hour, sans intermission.