In The Heights

cubanpab Profile Photo
cubanpab
#1In The Heights
Posted: 1/19/08 at 8:37pm

I'm sure this musical has been discussed a million times, but I just heard about it and have been reading about it online... as a hispanic myself I am excited that a musical will be opening on Broadway that was written by hispanics and starring hispanics... something i never thought i'd see! i've seen just a few short video clips and the music also looks like its very salsa / hip-hop flavored... which i think is fantastic...

anyone on here see it when it was off-broadway? whats the general consensus on this show? is it any good?

alfgiotir Profile Photo
alfgiotir
#2re: In The Heights
Posted: 1/19/08 at 10:26pm

it is the best thing i have ever seen! i am also hispanic and this show just excites me. as you can probably tell, I am obsessed with it. i know everthing about it. the music is a mix of everything. salsa, hip/hop, rap, and musical theatre. amazing.

cubanpab Profile Photo
cubanpab
#2re: In The Heights
Posted: 1/19/08 at 10:30pm

alf - thanks for replying! i was standing by the marquis theater getting ready to head over to TKTS when i saw the big billboard for it at the rogers theater. it looked very modern and cool so i looked it up online... i was amazed to see that its the first show (ever?) with an all hispanic cast? written and directed by hispanics too i think? thats fantastic... i never thought id see that on broadway.

unfortunately there are very limited (almost no) video clips online so it was hard to get an idea of what the show is like... sounds exciting based on your description!!

was it a big hit off-broadway? i guess it must have been if its transferring to broadway... shoot what did the critics say? does this have any shot at winning Tony's and stuff? glad to see my hispanics representing! :)

hermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
#3re: In The Heights
Posted: 1/19/08 at 11:45pm

I'm not a Hispanic, but I love the culture. I am excited to see it!

So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?

obsessedjb Profile Photo
obsessedjb
#4re: In The Heights
Posted: 1/19/08 at 11:53pm

Lin-Manuel Miranda is pretty much amazing!

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#5re: In The Heights
Posted: 1/19/08 at 11:57pm

I love love LOVE In The Heights, but I have to say there have been several shows with large amounts of "hispanics representing"...

The Capeman, for one, had an (I believe) almost all hispanic cast: http://ibdb.com/production.asp?ID=5147

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

joniray
#6re: In The Heights
Posted: 1/19/08 at 11:59pm

I saw the show twice off-Broadway and liked it a lot. The show was not a big hit off-Broadway, though many attributed that to the theatre location. The word of mouth and reviews (which were generally very positive, though not outright raves) seemed to justify the move to Broadway.

The book needed some work and apparently there is some rewriting being done, so I'm very much looking forward to seeing the revised version on Broadway. I expect it to be a major contender come Tony time. It'll definitely be a contender for best choreography (which was absolutely fantastic off-Broadway) and I actually think it has a good shot at the main prize. That is, unless Next to Normal transfers by the end of April. Then all bets are off.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#7re: In The Heights
Posted: 1/20/08 at 2:55am

Didn't Nilo Cruz' ANNA IN THE TROPICS have an all-Latino cast?
Being Latino myself I'm extremely excited that a musical by Latinos and starring Latinos is opening on Broadway! I hope it signals a change towards more Latino-oriented theater on Broadway (i.e, something as minimal as casting real Latino actors to play the Sharks in WEST SIDE STORY).

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#8re: In The Heights
Posted: 1/20/08 at 8:00am

I love the way the theatre looks right now, and being by the box office a few times over the last week, one thing that I have noticed is the diversity of the people buying tix.

Very good to see !!!

alfgiotir Profile Photo
alfgiotir
#9re: In The Heights
Posted: 1/20/08 at 3:53pm

i am really happy to hear that testing. do you think you could take pictures? that would be great! thanks.

cubanpab Profile Photo
cubanpab
#10re: In The Heights
Posted: 1/20/08 at 5:35pm

alf - i took a picture of the outside of the theater when i was there last week... if you wanted to take a look:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/monandpab/2205177820/

cubanpab Profile Photo
cubanpab
#11re: In The Heights
Posted: 2/7/08 at 6:39pm

so didnt the show open recently? i havent seen any threads or posts about it...

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#12re: In The Heights
Posted: 2/7/08 at 6:42pm

It starts previews on the 14th. re: In The Heights

I have my ticket for 2/23 and I'm really excited.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#13re: In The Heights
Posted: 2/7/08 at 6:42pm

It starts previews on Feb. 14th.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

obsessedjb Profile Photo
obsessedjb
#14re: In The Heights
Posted: 2/7/08 at 6:43pm

dancing I'll be there on the 23rd too!! So excited!

dancingthrulife04
#15re: In The Heights
Posted: 2/7/08 at 6:59pm

Are you going to the mat or the evening?

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

MotorTink Profile Photo
MotorTink
#16re: In The Heights
Posted: 2/7/08 at 7:03pm

I have 2/23 evening tickets!

BroadwayBoobs: I'll give all of you who weren't there a hint of who took the pictures ...it rhymes with shameless

SOMMS: I knew it was Tink!

dancingthrulife04
#17re: In The Heights
Posted: 2/7/08 at 7:09pm

That seems to be a very popular day! re: In The Heights I'll be at the matinee.

obsessedjb Profile Photo
obsessedjb
#18re: In The Heights
Posted: 2/7/08 at 7:12pm

I'll be at the matinee as well!

yankees1253 Profile Photo
yankees1253
#19re: In The Heights
Posted: 2/7/08 at 7:19pm

i am thinking about going the 15th of feb with my mom. i was wondering do you have a good view in the mezz towards the end of the row?. i am so excited to see this show as well as catered affair, cry baby, and TLM march 11th. Now wicked april 9th evening show. i was skeptical about seeing it but now after wonderful reviews i really want to and their commercial is awesome.

alfgiotir Profile Photo
alfgiotir
#20re: In The Heights
Posted: 2/7/08 at 9:32pm

the view is great from up there. i sat there for cyrano and in the orch for tarzan. the sightline sin the richard rodgers is great!

yankees1253 Profile Photo
yankees1253
#21re: In The Heights
Posted: 2/7/08 at 9:57pm

the view is great from up there. i sat there for cyrano and in the orch for tarzan. the sightline sin the richard rodgers is great!- alfgiotir

thank you so much. i was asking cause i have been to the theatre and sat in the mezz right side towards the left side of the row for movin out. i sat orch twice for tarzan. i was asking because i never sat towards the end of the row in the mezz.

alfgiotir Profile Photo
alfgiotir
#22re: In The Heights
Posted: 2/7/08 at 10:50pm

No prob. yankee. glad to help.

xanafanadu2
#23re: In The Heights
Posted: 2/7/08 at 11:00pm

i might see this for my b-day in march (it's either this or Gypsy.) from the bwayworld preview the songs are catchy and the show looks enjoyable.

cubanpab Profile Photo
cubanpab
#24re: In The Heights
Posted: 2/8/08 at 11:14pm

alfgiotir - i didn't realize the show was starting previews on the 14th! we'll actually be there the 15th - 17th, so we might actually be able to hit the matinee on saturday!! shoot shoot... hmmm... i see they have $20 see on ticketmaster... do they suck?? lol...

does the show have student rush or rush tix that are front row?? i really want to see it but dont want nosebleed....

Videos