Anthony Rapp on Rent's closing

insertclevernamehere Profile Photo
insertclevernamehere
#1Anthony Rapp on Rent's closing
Posted: 1/23/08 at 8:20pm

He looks like he's about to cry the whole time.
http://www.broadway.com/gen/Buzz_Video.aspx?ci=559494

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention...I'm the good cop, he's the bad cop.

italianpride888
#2re: Anthony Rapp on Rent's closing
Posted: 1/23/08 at 8:31pm

That was really well said. The video was kind of a bummer, but it was very good.

It is the end of an era.

musicalmaster703 Profile Photo
musicalmaster703
#2re: Anthony Rapp on Rent's closing
Posted: 1/23/08 at 8:32pm

i almost cried it was so sad.

nukin
#3re: Anthony Rapp on Rent's closing
Posted: 1/23/08 at 9:00pm

I too wanted to cry.

That said, February 4th will have been Jonathan Larson's 48th birthday. Let's all raise a glass in his memory.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JONATHAN

outovfashion07
#4re: Anthony Rapp on Rent's closing
Posted: 1/23/08 at 9:04pm

I did cry. At least I can comfort myself in knowing that I will be there to see the end.

jerseyboyschick2 Profile Photo
jerseyboyschick2
#5re: Anthony Rapp on Rent's closing
Posted: 1/23/08 at 9:09pm

WOW! That was a tear jerker. Just watching him talk about it and seeing him reacting to it was enough to make me cry. He put it very well. re: Anthony Rapp on Rent's closing

"You will understand that Bww is a forum that allows Theatre people, Fussy old Queens, and chorus boys of Mama Mia to release their everyday life's frustration by being Snarky, B**chy, and sarcastic." -BwayBoundJoe

martinman
#6re: Anthony Rapp on Rent's closing
Posted: 1/23/08 at 9:36pm

A job well done Anthony. I saw you twice in 1997 and wanted to get back up there this past fall but the plans fell through....Thanks for all your work and thank you for being a driving force for the making of the movie....think I'll go watch it right now..

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#7re: Anthony Rapp on Rent's closing
Posted: 1/23/08 at 9:41pm

That video was beautiful. Anthony said everything that needed to be said. The show will be missed.

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

mywonderwa11 Profile Photo
mywonderwa11
#8re: Anthony Rapp on Rent's closing
Posted: 1/23/08 at 9:46pm

Wow, what a great video. Anthony put it all very nicely. It definitely is the end of an era...but the show will live on in many ways. It truly is bittersweet. RENT will be missed.

41st Street just won't be the same...

"Somethin's comin', I don't know what it is but it is gonna be great!"

autopilot2
#9re: Anthony Rapp on Rent's closing
Posted: 1/23/08 at 10:01pm

pity about the 50hz hum on the sound mix...

But yeah - I agree. Bought my tickets for Sat 24th May today. I've never been to to New York, and happen to have a show I wrote opening on the 23rd. So I'm coming all the way from Australia, and will just manage to catch Rent before it closes- which feels a bit like a pilgrimage.

Can't wait.

fetzles1490
#10re: Anthony Rapp on Rent's closing
Posted: 1/23/08 at 10:07pm

Wow, that made me cry. And it just gives me more reason as to why Anthony is one of my favorite Broadway actors. He's just so eloquent and genuine, and really cares about and respects his fans in ways that so many other people don't.

thespian geek Profile Photo
thespian geek
#11re: Anthony Rapp on Rent's closing
Posted: 1/23/08 at 10:34pm

I still love that they're using that old footage for the commercials (always nice to see Norbert as Roger at random). But this was hard to watch. It's been an emotional week for me, it seems!

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#12re: Anthony Rapp on Rent's closing
Posted: 1/23/08 at 10:49pm

This was well said, Anthony. I love your way with words re: Anthony Rapp on Rent's closing

I haven't posted in any of the othner threads about it closing, but I will now: it truly is the end of era. I love the show and always will. I wish I could be there to say goodbye.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#13re: Anthony Rapp on Rent's closing
Posted: 1/23/08 at 11:19pm

aww anthony! That was really sad and heartfelt.

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

george95
#14re: Anthony Rapp on Rent's closing
Posted: 1/23/08 at 11:30pm

I totally felt what Anthony was saying about it being nice just knowing that RENT was there.....randomly walking past 41st St and seeing that marquee up. And just like him, I wish it could have run forever.

InThePark Profile Photo
InThePark
#15re: Anthony Rapp on Rent's closing
Posted: 1/24/08 at 12:01am

Aww, that made me cry. Anthony said it so well. Definitely gonna miss RENT.

Who says four chairs and a keyboard can't make a musical?

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#16re: Anthony Rapp on Rent's closing
Posted: 1/24/08 at 12:07am

That was really sad, well- said, and beautiful.

Me likey Anthony Rapp.

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#17re: Anthony Rapp on Rent's closing
Posted: 1/24/08 at 12:19am

As far as I'm concerned, Anthony Rapp is THE MOST well-spoken, earnest fella walking among us - In that video, you can see him wearing his emotions on his sleeve, surely he was. Whenever he graced the stage of the Nederlander, he brought every ounce of himself to the role of Mark Cohen - and in truth, nobody can do it like him. Thank you, Anthony.

In my humble opinion, RENT will be missed, that's speaking the obvious, but once the dust settles, we'll look back on the top-notch performances that oozed from the performers and onto West 41st over the past 12 years. We'll all look back on 'our first time', the first chord that tugged at our heartstrings our very first listen to the cast recording, surely we'll continue to quote as we see fit, revel in the 'dream fulfilled' - thanking Jonathan Larson for bestowing upon us a show with substance, heart, raw energy, vigor, gusto, and a message that rings true even still. We'll all look back ... and smile.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#18re: Anthony Rapp on Rent's closing
Posted: 1/24/08 at 12:39am

I just searched Rent Closing on youtube and I came across a very interesting vlog. It was done by a teen girl who was actually crying about Rent closing because she just read it on the website. She spoke about how she had tickets for this fall but clearly can't see it on Broadway now.

I find it interesting that the music alone has changed so many people's lives. And just listing to the story from the album as well.

There was a huge chunk of my life where this was the only show I saw. And then after that part was done I seemed to see everything else but Rent. For the longest while just passing by the theatre gave me this huge sense of comfort. I guess it was just the comfort of knowing that it was there. God I will miss this show so much.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#19re: Anthony Rapp on Rent's closing
Posted: 1/24/08 at 1:37am

couldnt agree with you more, winston

Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

Magical_Ms._Mistoffeles_72 Profile Photo
Magical_Ms._Mistoffeles_72
#20re: Anthony Rapp on Rent's closing
Posted: 1/24/08 at 2:41am

wow, holy video

As most of you know, I live in Canada, and RENT has only been here on tour once in my memory, at the time I couldnt afford to go. I was going through some things a few years back, and to make me feel better someone gave me the OBCR of RENT and wrote "always remember theres no day" on it. I lived on that cast album for two years. Yes, there are other shows and no Im not obsessed, but it honestly felt like my best friend.

I was heart broken when I couldnt see it on tour. So when the movie came out and most of the original cast was in it, you can bet I was totally excited.

RENT is on tour again here in May, but now I have qualms about seeing it because they cast the idols, and Im not sure what to think about that.

I will always regret that I never saw it on Broadway.
But thank you Jonathan for writing RENT. And thank you to every member of every cast, who kept it alive for so long

Join me on journey that is the development of my first musical! Twitter/Insta @gimpymusical FB: Gimpy The Musical email @gimpymusical@gmail.com for more info!

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#21re: Anthony Rapp on Rent's closing
Posted: 1/24/08 at 8:02am

Such a sad video, and this 29 year old almost cried.

Its such a shame and the show will be truly missed

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#22re: Anthony Rapp on Rent's closing
Posted: 1/24/08 at 8:15am

Thanks, Adam.

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

...5678 Profile Photo
#23re: Anthony Rapp on Rent's closing
Posted: 1/24/08 at 8:24am

I'm bawling...between what he said, the music in the background, and the old footage...I knew this day was coming but for some reason still, I'm in shock.

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#24re: Anthony Rapp on Rent's closing
Posted: 1/24/08 at 8:45am

magical, if you have never seen it live then letting a couple actors ruin it for you (you dont even know are going to be that bad) is a really bad idea. Seing RENT on stage is an incredible experiance and if an actor or 2 sucks it doesnt take that much away from the whole incredible picture. And you never know you could be delightfully suprised from those who you expected mediocre performances from.

Videos