Poto Elon: Uhg...

phantomo88 Profile Photo
phantomo88
#1Poto Elon: Uhg...
Posted: 2/14/08 at 8:07pm

Here is a slideshow of Phantom Elon:http://special.thetimesnews.com/multimedia/PhantomOfTheOperaSlideshow/Phantom.php

Just some of the highlights:
old raoul has no makeup, as red death
Thin Piangi
Long-haired Raoul
Blonde Christine (dead ringer for Meg)
Phantom looks like he is a woman.
Crappy Mask (or is it a peice of string on his forehead? I can't tell.)
WTF? Masquerade
SWORDFIGHT
MOVIE PONR MASK
IN HANNIBLE, PIANGI RIDES....... A HORSE!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: here are some photos that make it look a tiny bit better:http://www.elon.edu/pendulum/Story.aspx?id=63
Too late though, the other photos show how crappy it really is.
Updated On: 2/14/08 at 08:07 PM

SDav 10495 Profile Photo
SDav 10495
#2re: Poto Elon: Uhg...
Posted: 2/14/08 at 8:33pm

Eeek.

Earth to Maria Bjornson...code red...code red...

"If there is going to be a restoration fee, there should also be a Renaissance fee, a Middle Ages fee and a Dark Ages fee. Someone must have men in the back room making up names, euphemisms for profit." (Emanuel Azenberg)

Little-Lotte Profile Photo
Little-Lotte
#2re: Poto Elon: Uhg...
Posted: 2/14/08 at 9:33pm

I think you're being a little harsh. It is a college production and though Elon obviously has the talent (let's face they'd need it to pull off this show or else they wouldn't have gotten it in the first place) it is still a little known MT program and doesn't have the funding that schools like CCM and CMU. Also if you read the article they had to really rush the production and it probably didn't get the care and attention it would have with more time to put it together.

And there have been a few blonde Christines on Broadway and the various International/Tour productions. Besides...she was depicted as blonde in the original novel, so they're actually a bit more accurate.

ThankstoPhantom
#3re: Poto Elon: Uhg...
Posted: 2/14/08 at 10:14pm

The Read Death reminds me of a star wars character...

I am sure the cast is very talented. I liked the physical production from Baldwin-Wallace...

As I've mentioned in the past, Maria Bjornson's sumptuous designs will be very hard to follow, and I find it highly doubtful that anything could every pass it without copying her ideas.

It's good that they came with their own cocnept. There are aspects that could have been different, but overall it looks rather nice. The colors are good, I have to say!

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...
Updated On: 2/14/08 at 10:14 PM

george95
#4re: Poto Elon: Uhg...
Posted: 2/14/08 at 10:21pm

There has been a blonde Christine on Broadway???????

ThankstoPhantom
#5re: Poto Elon: Uhg...
Posted: 2/14/08 at 10:23pm

True, george.. But the poster is right in stating that there have been blonde wigs used elsewhere....Stuttgart employed a blonde wig, as did Copenhagen. I think it looked stunning actually.

re: Poto Elon: Uhg...
Ian Jon Bourg and Janine Kitzen

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...
Updated On: 2/14/08 at 10:23 PM

SDav 10495 Profile Photo
SDav 10495
#6re: Poto Elon: Uhg...
Posted: 2/14/08 at 11:32pm

It's good that they came with their own cocnept.

Erm, but that's the thing...to me, it doesn't look like they did. It comes off as an attempt to emulate Bjornson and Prince (while throwing in movie ideas from Schumacher, Byrne, and Pratt) without the budget to really accomplish it all. It seems less like it was re-imagined for a low budget and more like existing ideas were thrown together and they saw what would stick with the money they had.

Again, that's not to belittle the efforts of this production's creative team. This is clearly an extremely difficult show to pull off visually without a Broadway budget, and any school that tackles it without much precedent needs to be given due credit. The chandelier and (most) costumes, for example, look great. That said, though, this test licensing period is meant to determine if and how low-budget productions of this show can work. It may not be entirely fair, but judging from the photos, I'm just not sure if this one does.

ETA: To be more specific, I think they should have gotten more creative with their scenic design. The all-purpose staircase doesn't really work the way it probably seemed like it would on paper. And I'll throw more praise at the costumes--some of them really look gorgeous. (Aside from the Phantom's costumes and Christine's dressing gown...because if you're going to imitate Bjornson's iconic designs you need to do it exactly, otherwise you'll look like any of the myriad cheap imitations that have popped up at weddings and dinner theaters since the show became popular in the 80s.)

"If there is going to be a restoration fee, there should also be a Renaissance fee, a Middle Ages fee and a Dark Ages fee. Someone must have men in the back room making up names, euphemisms for profit." (Emanuel Azenberg)
Updated On: 2/14/08 at 11:32 PM

peterjoshua Profile Photo
peterjoshua
#7re: Poto Elon: Uhg...
Posted: 2/15/08 at 11:02am

Evidently, they don't teach age makeup in their theatre department.

wherehaveyougone948
#8re: Poto Elon: Uhg...
Posted: 2/17/08 at 10:34pm

Ok, well, clearly none of you saw Elon's Production of Phantom because none of you, who have gone out of your way to criticize the pictures of a dress rehearsal, would be tearing this show apart the way you have. Frankly, I think it's sad that people feel they need to pull something beautiful apart...and for what? To prove to the world they know theatre? I think not, the only thing it proves is that they are bitter and discontent with their own careers.

Those who took the time to see Phantom would agree that the show was absolutely stunning. The talent was exquisite along with the look of the show. The set was amazing and the costumes were mind blowing. I believe there were 254 costumes used? The rotating staircase was incredible, transforming the stage over and over again seamlessly. The chandelier was beautiful, although lost a bit of effect because it did not fall.

If you saw the show and did not like it, that is absolutely fine...your entitled to your own opinion. But if you did not see the show and are sitting at home judging the production from a few pictures snapped at a dress rehearsal..Well, then, shame on you. What Elon did with Phantom was amazing; they took the show and made it their own. They do not have the resources that other professional theatres have; they are not a Broadway house and did not try to be. Rather than putting one more crappy attempt at a recreation on stage, they took a beautiful show and made it majestic.

geaj Profile Photo
geaj
#9re: Poto Elon: Uhg...
Posted: 2/17/08 at 10:42pm

I thought it looked very interesting. Yesterday I read a post about a production of "Chicago" copying the original set design and dancing. Everyone was so ticked that they copied it. This looks like they interpreted it, and if the cast was talented, I'll bet it was worthwhile. I would have liked to have seen it.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#10re: Poto Elon: Uhg...
Posted: 2/17/08 at 11:32pm

http://talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat/d.php?id=1530865

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

JulianHookbucks Profile Photo
JulianHookbucks
#11re: Poto Elon: Uhg...
Posted: 2/18/08 at 1:25am

my favorites:

Blonde Christine, Brunette Meg.
it looks like Christine was re-using a Johanna costume from Sweeney...

the phantom looks like a bad highschool costume...

and the appearance of the village people in Masquerade.

that's a really big mic...

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#12re: Poto Elon: Uhg...
Posted: 2/18/08 at 1:38am

Uh my favorite was the shirtless Indian and Angel.

nitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
#13re: Poto Elon: Uhg...
Posted: 2/18/08 at 1:42am

Thems got some hot bodies!

"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#14re: Poto Elon: Uhg...
Posted: 2/18/08 at 1:49am

Hella mad props to them for pulling it OFF! Dude, that HAD to cost them a pretty penny and jeez, their cast is huge! Give them the benefit of the doubt, for goodness sake (we're only looking at photos)... they freakin' staged the thing! And it doesn't look half-bad for a college show. The cast and production crew must be so thrilled to have been part of it and I'll bet they worked their as*es off!

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#15re: Poto Elon: Uhg...
Posted: 2/18/08 at 12:02pm

I'm actually impresed. And this is impressive as I am VERY tough on all things POTO. Especially Webber's version.

Although I do NOT like a blonde Christine.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

phantomo88 Profile Photo
phantomo88
#16re: Poto Elon: Uhg...
Posted: 2/18/08 at 1:33pm

http://www.elon.edu/e-net/Note.aspx?id=927075#

Tons of photos in the gallerys.

Funny Photos from making of phantom:
77 & 78 (Help! There is a dancing Ninja in front of my boat!)
82 (Why is a blonde Mme.G strangling Tevya, er... Buquet?)
85 (Wtf is this?)
98 (Oops, wrong musical!)

Was there anyone in the opening night audience under 65?

HoshiForever Profile Photo
HoshiForever
#17re: Poto Elon: Uhg...
Posted: 2/18/08 at 1:45pm

I too am fairly impressed. Considering the budget and size, it looks pretty darn good.

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#18re: Poto Elon: Uhg...
Posted: 2/18/08 at 1:55pm

I am very impressed with what I have seen from Elon in the various pics they have posted. I only wish I had known about the production earlier so I could have traveled up there from Charlotte to see it.

I am happy to see that the theatre program at Elon is trying to go to the next level. Being from NC, I had never really heard much about Elon's program until recently. It seems that they are really putting a lot into their musical theatre program especially. I know that both Jason Robert Brown and Adam Guettel have done master classes there in the past couple of years.

I say bravo to the school, and I wish them continued success. I am all for strengthening the arts programs here in NC.

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

talentseeker2
#19re: Poto Elon: Uhg...
Posted: 2/21/08 at 10:05pm

1. I am not connected to Elon University
2. I am a professional with more that 30 years in the business (NY)
3. I saw the Elon University production of Phantom
4. It was extraordinary - I have seen Phantom in NY, London and Chicago and I have to say that I have NEVER been so emotionally moved! I wept - and everyone around me wept too.
5. It was creative and did not try to copy the Hal Prince Production. The direction, acting and singing was of the highest quality.

PS. In the business ---Elon's Music Theatre program is regarded as one of THE top programs in the country

wherehaveyougone948
#20re: Poto Elon: Uhg...
Posted: 3/9/08 at 7:29pm

There is a new video on youtube of Katie Emerson, who played christine, singing wishing you were somehow here again. It's not a video of the show..it just says she was singing for a info session for prospective students.
Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again

Videos