My Thoughts on CRY-BABY

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#1My Thoughts on CRY-BABY
Posted: 3/28/08 at 12:36pm

I will start by saying that message board reports of CRY-BABY being the worst show to hit Broadway in years have been greatly exaggerated.

To the contrary, much of the show makes for fun fifties fodder. Unfortunately, it is also severely misguided, and the end result amounts to conflicting visions sinking something with tons of potential.

The storyline remains the same from the movie on which it is based: the titular rocking rebel shakes up a conservative town, and the battle between "the squares" and "the drapes" ensues until everyone just decides to get along in the end.

It is clearly evident throughout that the creative team is having an inner battle between making the show family-friendly (ala Hairspray) or staying true to the raunchy spirit of John Waters. The storyline and a lot of the framework already put in place lend itself much easier to the latter, but with it being previews, there is only so much that can be fixed, and a complete tone overhaul is unlikely, even though that is the key thing needing to be worked on.

The show is at its best when it is going completely over the top, such as the finale, where the company sings the over-exuberant "Nothing Bad's Ever Gonna Happen Again" with over-enthusiasm. Likewise, the cast members who go larger than life also score the best, particularly Alli Mauzey, who plays a teen obsessed with Cry Baby with the requisite amount of zany abandon that is lacking elsewhere. Her number, "Screw Loose," is a riot, but I can't help but think she would be less impressive if everyone else were on the grand-scale level they should be.

The leads are good, if a bit bland. Elizabeth Stanley again uses the same bereft charm that made her such an appealing April in John Doyle's COMPANY last season (this time with a killer belt) as Allison, and James Snyder's natural charm cannot be ignored as the title character, even if he looks much more "square" than "drape" in appearance.

The supporting players are all uniformly talented, though severely underused. Chester Gregory shined in the minuscule amount he was given to do (he clearly has the right idea by bailing to play Donkey in SHREK in a few short months), and the trio of Tear Drops who make up the core unit of Cry-Baby's posse were great, as was Christopher J. Hanke as Baldwin, the clean-cut conservative in love with Allison.

Harriet Harris steals the show as Mrs. Vernon-Williams, Allison's prim and proper grandmother with a few skeletons in her closet. Her ballad of exposition, "I Did Something Wrong Once," was great, and her singing wasn't nearly as bad as I'd heard elsewhere.

Rob Ashford’s choreography was excellent, as were costumes by Catherine Zuber and a set by Scott Pask.

Cuts certainly need to be made to the score. "Squeaky Clean," the number given to Christopher J. Hanke and the Whiffles, his group of straight-laced singers, was painfully awful, as was "I'm Infected," the love duet sang by Cry-Baby and Allison as the cast are receiving polio vaccinations. A lot of the music was enjoyable though, with the standout number being "Misery, Agony, Helplessness, Hopelessness, Heartache, and Woe" at the top of the second act.

Overall, CRY-BABY ends up being a mixed bag that, with the proper work, could have been great, but only registers as mildly good.

Reviews to come of AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY, SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE, SOUTH PACIFIC, and IN THE HEIGHTS.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 3/28/08 at 12:36 PM

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#2re: Thoughts on CRY-BABY
Posted: 3/28/08 at 1:22pm

bump.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#2re: Thoughts on CRY-BABY
Posted: 3/28/08 at 1:28pm

Thanks for the review. I think everyone else is consumed with Gypsy discussions to comment. re: Thoughts on CRY-BABY

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#3re: Thoughts on CRY-BABY
Posted: 3/28/08 at 1:49pm

Yeah, I was looking for opening night reviews of JUNO but everyone is too into GYPSY to write about JUNO.
I like your detailed reviews, somethingwicked. I still don't get what people liked about Elizabeth Stanley's April, I found her terribly bland in COMPANY.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#4re: Thoughts on CRY-BABY
Posted: 3/28/08 at 1:56pm

I'm glad to hear your opinion, and that you give constructive criticism as to what can be done to make it better instead of just writing it off.

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#5re: Thoughts on CRY-BABY
Posted: 3/28/08 at 2:06pm

I can't wait for the rest of your reviews !

aliciag Profile Photo
aliciag
#6re: Thoughts on CRY-BABY
Posted: 3/28/08 at 2:31pm

I'm glad you enjoyed the show. I too don't think it's quite as bad as others seem to think. Sure the show is not great, it has its problems, but it was still a fun time in my opinion.

Can't wait to hear the rest of your reviews!

jarred03
#7re: Thoughts on CRY-BABY
Posted: 3/28/08 at 4:43pm

I think the biggest problem is that there is no big villian, I think that Mrs. Vernon Williams or Baldwin need to be meaner so that Cry-baby and Alison have more to fight against.

I do think that this will be a great show for high schools.

bwayguy22089
#8re: Thoughts on CRY-BABY
Posted: 3/28/08 at 5:12pm

I agree with almost everything you said. I enjoyed it. It has its faults, but it is still fun. It is actually very satirical in its nature. I appreciate that about it. It almost makes fun of the corniness of the 50's.

brettystar Profile Photo
brettystar
#9re: Thoughts on CRY-BABY
Posted: 3/29/08 at 2:13am

Thank you for that very informative and non emotional review. I am still deciding whether to include this one in my trip and your review is helping make up my mind.

'Downtown Elaiggghhhy?'

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#10re: Thoughts on CRY-BABY
Posted: 3/29/08 at 8:58pm

Saw the matinee today, second row center orch.

We all loved it! I, being so visually oriented, must start with the visuals! The sets-there were many, and each one of them was a feast for the eyes. Some of them were as simple as silhouettes of trees, but the lighting used in the sky was stunning. There was a really fun amusement park set with tons of colored lightbulbs for the rides-so exciting! The saturated color and "look on the sunny side" slant to the houses, etc, were very fifties sensibility. I was impressed at the smooth transition of the sets still in previews. Seamless.

That leads me to the costumes-just as colorful, fresh, exciting and fifties as the sets.

Jumping to the choreography.Bravo to Rob Ashford! Very tight. Very exhausting for the cast, but fully appreciated! I would cut one dreary dance number in which they wore gas masks. It didn't go over well, and wasn't funny. It was short, though.

I just loved the score. 50's music is what I grew up with. Now, these weren't exactly doo-wop numbers but I still related to the general mood. Favorite song for me-Screw Loose by the standout Allie Mauzey.

Book-one laugh after another for me. Perhaps for people who can't relate to the period, it wasn't funny, but we were hysterical.

Cast-the leads to me were adequate, even good, but not great. Of course Harriet Harris stood out and as i mentioned already, I loved Alllie Mauzey. I didn't realize Andy Call was in the ensemble (from Altar Boyz). It was good to see him on the broadway stage.

Well, to sum up, I'd be more than happy to see this again.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#11re: Thoughts on CRY-BABY
Posted: 3/29/08 at 9:04pm

Jane- I was glad that you like it.. I was actually waiting for what you are going to say..
Its kinda balance everything here. I trust your opinion too... so I guess... I am getting excited to see the show...

P.S. Next time I go to New World Stages- I will say "hi" to you! re: Thoughts on CRY-BABY

J*

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#12re: Thoughts on CRY-BABY
Posted: 3/29/08 at 9:14pm

That was awfully nice of you to say, Jay, being that you don't even know me. xox

Noel&Cole
#13re: Thoughts on CRY-BABY
Posted: 3/30/08 at 12:01am

Jane2 it is so refreshing to hear someone compliment this very worthy show. I have found it frustrating to read people on these boards stating it is the worst thing ever. Or some vairation of that statement. I do not know what show they saw.

I understand people by not like it but that is a question of genre tastes. I found the production of CRY-BABY to show a high level of talent & skill in alomst every department. Including the design elements, the book, the lyrics and the choreography. Sure some people my not like it but not one element of this production is horrid. And of course I personally love it. So I am glad to finally read a comment from someone who appreciated all that it offers.

Apparently a lot of Act 1 has changed this week. I am hoping I will be able to go back sometime soon and see all the changes.

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#14re: Thoughts on CRY-BABY
Posted: 3/30/08 at 12:15am

I have had such great luck this weekend. I enjoyed every show I saw, including this one.

Act 1 needs to be shortened, songs deleted and certain plot elements sharpened, but it's a lot of fun. I have seen truly AWFUL shows over the years. This isn't even in their category. I don't understand the venom. Maybe they've improved it noticeably in the past 2 weeks, I don't know. But it has much more going for it than I was led to believe.

It's still previews, so I'll just hope that the creative team doesn't ignore all the constructive criticism and uses the preview period as intended. I wish them and the cast luck.

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

neddyfrank2
#15re: Thoughts on CRY-BABY
Posted: 3/30/08 at 12:21am

I heard that the changes that were made Friday were all for the better.

It looks like the creative team is using their time very wisely.

Cutielyricist Profile Photo
Cutielyricist
#16re: Thoughts on CRY-BABY
Posted: 3/30/08 at 1:13am

miss pennywise, I jumped for joy when I got ur text reqarding Crybaby. Now I can be happy that it wasn't just me in my group of friends who didnt hate it..lol. I am definatly planning on seeing it again to see the changes. Oh and thanks for the present today!

BTW I LOVE the avatar!!

bwayguy22089
#17re: Thoughts on CRY-BABY
Posted: 3/30/08 at 1:35am

The changes went into the show yesterday (I believe). From what I hear, the first act is MUCH better. More and more people are liking this show. I think the cast is growing into it and having more fun. I'm glad re: Thoughts on CRY-BABY

misto625 Profile Photo
misto625
#18re: Thoughts on CRY-BABY
Posted: 3/30/08 at 2:07am

I saw the show last week and thought the show was great. The songs were very inventive and hilarious, especially "Girl, Can I Kiss You,...." which I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet. Rob Ashford's choreography was amazing and wonderful. I actually liked "Squeaky Clean" but didn't like the Whiffles' songs in Act II. "I'm Infected" is a good idea for a song with bad execuetion although the limping ensemble was funny. I hope the show does well. I think Lenora and the Teardrop trio are the best characters in the show.

Dean: Can I tell you something? Lorraine: That depends on what it is. Dean: I think you're really really pretty. Lorraine: (after a pause) Ok, you can tell me that.

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#19re: Thoughts on CRY-BABY
Posted: 3/30/08 at 2:45am

Cutie, maybe we can go back and see it together. re: Thoughts on CRY-BABY

And thanks for the gifts you guys gave me, too.

(P.S. Did you realize that our birthdays are only 2 days apart?)

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#20re: Thoughts on CRY-BABY
Posted: 3/30/08 at 11:27am

b ump

Ed_Mottershead
#21re: Thoughts on CRY-BABY
Posted: 3/30/08 at 8:12pm

I saw it Saturday March 29th matinee. My overall reaction was that it was just bland -- not the worst thing I've ever encountered but hardly something to get excited about. Harriet Harris was stuck with some awful material; James Snyder lacked the necessary charisma; the sets were tacky; the music totally forgettable (they'd have been better off using the movie score); the choreography blah; and costumes hideous (final scene being a real autrocity -- nun wearing an orange dress (short skirt), orange wimple and crucifix). IMO, its longevity is questionable.

On the plus side, there was some nice male flesh on view and, if you looked hard enough in the right spots, brief hurried nudity when they went skinny-dipping.

Again, it was hardly the worst show I've ever seen by far, which speaks mountains about how many truly LOUSY shows I've endured over the past 50 years in the hopes that the next one would be a great one. Hope springs eternal.

BroadwayEd
Updated On: 3/30/08 at 08:12 PM

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#22re: Thoughts on CRY-BABY
Posted: 3/30/08 at 8:25pm

I saw Cry-Baby last weekend. I would be interested in hearing from someone who has seen this past week and can comment on the recent changes.

dramadude Profile Photo
dramadude
#23re: Thoughts on CRY-BABY
Posted: 3/30/08 at 8:33pm

Updated On: 4/25/08 at 08:33 PM

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#24re: Thoughts on CRY-BABY
Posted: 3/30/08 at 8:40pm

"and costumes hideous (final scene being a real autrocity -- nun wearing an orange dress (short skirt), orange wimple and crucifix)"

The nun's outfit was hot pink at the first preview! I'm not sure which is worse for a nun's outfit...hot pink or bright orange. This show was so painful...can't wait to see it for the third time this coming Saturday evening. I will definitely report back any changes to the production.