pixeltracker

Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid- Page 4

Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid

BrianS Profile Photo
BrianS
#75re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/13/08 at 11:55pm

Fractures in both hips was what I heard a few days ago. I didn't want to repeat it here as a rumor, but hearing how much worse things are is very bad news. Anyone who has seen that show knows how high that ship is. I cannot imagine falling from there.

I hope every SM of every show is going to use awful accident to make sure they are that much more diligent with their cast and crew on their own shows.

If the audience could do better, they'd be up here on stage and I'd be out there watching them. - Ethel Merman

jaso_n
#76re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/14/08 at 12:22am

That's terrible.

dancinfan
#77re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/14/08 at 10:31am

Exactly. Safety should ALWAYS come before production values, and safety checks are necessary at every moment. One person (cast, crew, management included) relaxing their standards or being distracted, one day for one minute can lead to disasters like this one.

This story reminded me of the accident in Chicago during Aida tryouts when the tomb crashed to the deck and knocked the wind out of the two actors inside it. Disney was lucky that time. Not so this time. I would certainly expect them to pay for every bit of Mr. Bailey's long rehabilitation.

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#78re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/14/08 at 10:45am

As for Disney and full disclosure - there is a little thing called HIPAA which protects a person's medical privacy. It was not up to Disney to describe Mr. Bailey's injuries, only the circumstances of his accident, to the extent verified. Even if they knew more about his medical issues, they are not in a position to discuss them.

Fosse76
#79re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/14/08 at 11:23am

"As for Disney and full disclosure - there is a little thing called HIPAA which protects a person's medical privacy. It was not up to Disney to describe Mr. Bailey's injuries, only the circumstances of his accident, to the extent verified. Even if they knew more about his medical issues, they are not in a position to discuss them."

While that is true that Disney does not have to comment on the health condition of the actor, hiding the fact that that he fell 40 feet (instead of the 20 they reported to the press). Also, once the injuries are reported to a third-party, which they were since everyone in the cast and on the crew knew, it is no longer protected legally.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#80re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/14/08 at 12:32pm

I love how people debate the idea of full disclosure from Disney, but not from hearsay on a message board. I don't claim to know what is or is not true, but the conflicting reports from EVERYONE is getting ridiculous. The one common theme is that Disney is lying no matter what the truth may actually be.

*sigh*

It's a tragic accident and I wish Bailey a speedy recovery. But I'm not going to jump to the conclusion that anything that makes Disney sound evil has to be the truth. Maybe it was 30 feet or 40 feet or 20 feet. Did anybody take an accurate measurement when the accident occurred? Did they disclose the accurate measurement to Disney? Was anyone on this board an eyewitness? Good Lord, people!

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Jonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
#81re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/14/08 at 12:59pm

I dont think anyone is to blame....... Sh*t happens.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#82re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/14/08 at 1:01pm

Mister Matt, fly & trim heights are known or could be determined easily. If the ship was in its preshow position then Disney knows exactly where is was.

Who knows if the press release is incorrect...and if it is, why would they lie?

StageFan2 Profile Photo
StageFan2
#83re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/14/08 at 1:30pm

***Warning - Long-winded post.*** re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid

I know that the safety of the cast and crew are important and I respect that it's an issue - as it should be. I would never attempt to argue with those on the board who make their living in the theatre because I'm not in the position to do so. But I do love, love, love theatre and I have a tremendous amount of respect for the people who make it possible for me to enjoy shows, that goes for both cast and crew. I know the only way to avoid such accidents from happening again is to find out what went wrong and remedy the situation. However, accidents happen and sometimes no amount of safety procedure will can prevent them.

It isn't important to know the extent of his injuries, but rather to know that Mr. Bailey, while having sustained substantial injuries, is recovering. Will it be a long recovery? It unfortunately appears so. Could it have been prevented? Yeah, probably, but then so could most accidents.

What is even more apparent to me as I read threw this thread, is the amount of concern that is displayed by both people who know this gentleman and those who do not. Some of the concern takes the form of anger, some sadness, and some bewilderment as to how this could happen. No matter the form - what a wonderful thing to have people come together in support of someone, be it a stranger, aquaintance, or friend. It confirms for me what I've always suspected and appreciated - the Broadway Community is one hell of a big happy family. What hurts one concerns all. I'm impressed. Kudos to all of you, and daily positive thoughts to Adrian Bailey for a speedy recovery.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#84re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/14/08 at 1:43pm

Mister Matt, fly & trim heights are known or could be determined easily. If the ship was in its preshow position then Disney knows exactly where is was.

And did anyone confirm it was in the correct preshow position? All I'm saying is, I'm thinking people prefer to get out the torches and pitchforks if it's against Disney rather than have any actual facts at all. It's the lynch-mob mentality.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Fosse76
#85re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/14/08 at 2:29pm

Actors Equity representatives, the show's Equity Deputy and the show's management have been meeting constantly since the accident. Disney, in the form of the show's management, has not at all been forthcoming. However, the set was in its proper place (otherwise OSHA WOULD have shut down the show). The actor did in fact fall about 40 feet. While he is getting great treatment for his injuries, they are extremely severe and doctors are finding more undiagnosed injuries everyday as a result of the fall (not something that would have occurred from 20 feet). From what I understand the actors came to a "new" show on Tuesday since many of the safety complaints were finally addressed. We're not the only ones Disney is lying to. Apparently it is lying to the cast as well. But no one should be at all surprised. If anyone reads any books on Disney you would know that Disney rarely ever tells the truth.

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#86re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/14/08 at 2:51pm

Is the set designer accountable in circumstances like this?

Here's to a speedy recovery for Adrian.

I hope OSHA shuts down this mess of a show.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#87re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/14/08 at 3:05pm

No the set designer would have nothing to do with this. Possibly the technical director would have some responsibility.
Ultimately it comes down to the fact that if a trap in the ship set piece was not closed during the preshow setup, the Carp crew member and his/her crew head would be immediately to blame. And then responsibility would be placed on the PSM, SM and ASM.

Jonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
#88re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/14/08 at 3:08pm

"I hope OSHA shuts down this mess of a show. "
That ridiculous....

Why is it that everybody wants to automatically blame disney or the people who desighned the show. How do we know that Adrian didnt do something to cause it?( not saying that he did.)Its obviously been fine for all the other shows...

Anyhow..what matters is that something like this doesnt happen again.. I hope Adrian has a speedy recovery and is able to perform again soon.

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#89re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/14/08 at 3:12pm

My intent was not to place blame on the set designer, I was just asking if that person can be held accountable.

If actors are put in situations where they can become seriously injured, yes, the show should be shut down. I definitely stand by that statement.

Jonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
#90re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/14/08 at 3:17pm

"If actors are put in situations where they can become seriously injured, yes, the show should be shut down. I definitely stand by that statement. "

I agree... but everything about how it happened is specualation at this point.... We dont know anything except that he fell and is pretty seriously injured. I dont think we should focus on blaming someone... Just making sure that it doesnt happen again.

thatgirl712 Profile Photo
thatgirl712
#91re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/14/08 at 3:17pm

I hope he's OK.

If I heard the bells and the banjos ring

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#92re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/14/08 at 3:23pm

I hope he pulls through this ok. I was thinking, when they said 20 feet, I saw the show and the ship seemed to be higher up than that. But was he in the bottom of the ship? Where is the trap door. Did he fall from the "deck" of the ship. That is higher than the bottom of the ship.

Just give the world Love.

BrianS Profile Photo
BrianS
#93re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/14/08 at 3:42pm

looking at pic of the ship at preset for the beginning of the show, it does seem that the "deck" is about 20' in the air. I don't think Disney deliberately lied. Keen is right that Disney is not at liberty to release his medical condition. Whether cast members (3rd parties) knew is irrelevant. There is no "scandal."

That said, I also disagree that "accidents happen" as a given. I have seen crews run a very tight ship and I have seen things in 10 out of 12s that were extremely dangerous, but were allowed to continue just so that we could "get through the show." There is no way that they don't need to reconfigure their pre-show safety checks as well as look at any other potentially dangerous issues.

If the audience could do better, they'd be up here on stage and I'd be out there watching them. - Ethel Merman

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#94re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/14/08 at 3:47pm

I saw the show here in Denver. The "deck" appeared to be higher than 20 feet.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#95re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/14/08 at 4:40pm

All the talk and speculation are one thing, may I suggest sending cards and well wishes to the theatre where possibly a fellow actor could deliver them to Mr, Bailey so he knows so many people are thinking of him and wish him the best and a speedy recovery.

Fosse76
#96re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/14/08 at 4:47pm

"looking at pic of the ship at preset for the beginning of the show, it does seem that the "deck" is about 20' in the air. I don't think Disney deliberately lied. Keen is right that Disney is not at liberty to release his medical condition. Whether cast members (3rd parties) knew is irrelevant. There is no "scandal."

He fell about 40 feet. His injuries are consistent with a fall from that height. Disney has deliberately lied about the height of the fall. Legally, Disney can release medical information if it has been disclosed. They choose not to. Whether or not they have an agreement with the actor no to may be the reason. But once he disclosed his injuries to someone who is not a doctor, it can legally be released to the public. The scandal is that they are downplaying the seriousness of the accident. Disney would have you believe he had minor injuries. He doesn't. He broke more than two wrists and vertebrae. They find more injuries as time progresses.

"That said, I also disagree that "accidents happen" as a given. I have seen crews run a very tight ship and I have seen things in 10 out of 12s that were extremely dangerous, but were allowed to continue just so that we could "get through the show." There is no way that they don't need to reconfigure their pre-show safety checks as well as look at any other potentially dangerous issues."

Accidents do happen, but with this particular show they are frequent, and most are fixable. Disney as a company is not as concerned with safety as they would have you believe. Ask anyone who has ever worked for one of their shows or theme parks and they will tell you that the "show" is more important than worker safety. Some of the costumes in The Little Mermaid can be hazardous, but Disney doesn't want to change them because "they are too pretty." Well guess what? Some are now being modified. After the cost of this incident, and under the threat of forced closure, they will be more serious in addressing safety concerns.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#97re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/14/08 at 4:56pm

What other accidents have happened with this show?

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#99re: Actor injured this afternoon in Little Mermaid
Posted: 5/14/08 at 5:18pm

If I am not mistaken, the ship is up high at the beginning and it lowers to the stage at some point or points in the show.