pixeltracker

WEST SIDE STORY Revival Begins Previews On Broadway February 13, 2009- Page 5

WEST SIDE STORY Revival Begins Previews On Broadway February 13, 2009

fanpires
#100re: WEST SIDE STORY Revival Begins Previews On Broadway February 13, 2009
Posted: 6/29/08 at 4:06pm

Who suggested Groff as Tony? ROFL! His voice isn't THAT great.

Updated On: 6/29/08 at 04:06 PM

thevolleyballer
#101re: WEST SIDE STORY Revival Begins Previews On Broadway February 13, 2009
Posted: 6/29/08 at 4:45pm

More callbacks this week for unknown ensemble. A 16 year old friend of mine (but who looks like she's 14) is in final callbacks for the title of 'Dancer,' and she's the epitome of the word unknown, as she's never done a single thing outside of community theatre and dance in her life.

musicalmaster703 Profile Photo
musicalmaster703
#102re: WEST SIDE STORY Revival Begins Previews On Broadway February 13, 2009
Posted: 6/29/08 at 4:51pm

I could see them casting Karen Olivo as Anita, but I hope they don't.

I would pay hundreds to see her Anita!

andreabajita
#103re: WEST SIDE STORY Revival Begins Previews On Broadway February 13, 2009
Posted: 6/29/08 at 9:01pm

I can only imagine what kind of opportunity this would be for these so-called "unknowns", should they make it! I am really looking forward to this revival, regardless of the casting.

I do wonder which not-so-unknowns have been surfacing at the callbacks. My personal (fantasy) choice for Tony would be David Burnham - after hearing his rendition of "Maria" on his debut CD - but I do realize he isn't the youngest performer out there... and if I'm not mistaken, I read an interview with him claiming Tony to be his dream role (but expressed doubts that he'd ever be cast as Tony because his skin is just simply too dark).

Either way, I still am really excited for this.
Updated On: 6/29/08 at 09:01 PM

ToplessCocoWantsFame Profile Photo
ToplessCocoWantsFame
#104re: WEST SIDE STORY Revival Begins Previews On Broadway February 13, 2009
Posted: 6/29/08 at 9:18pm

Clay aiken as Tony
Diana Degarmo as Maria
Jordan Sparks as Anita
Ruben Studdard as Bernardo
Justin Guarini as Riff
Taylor Hicks as Doc

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#105re: WEST SIDE STORY Revival Begins Previews On Broadway February 13, 2009
Posted: 6/29/08 at 9:39pm

I hear Laurents is considering using toy cop cars and water pistols.

jennyish Profile Photo
jennyish
#106re: WEST SIDE STORY Revival Begins Previews On Broadway February 13, 2009
Posted: 6/29/08 at 9:50pm

Jonathan Groff as Tony would be terrible.

I chose, and my world was shaken. So what? The choice may have been mistaken. The choosing was not.

felineofavenueb Profile Photo
felineofavenueb
#107re: WEST SIDE STORY Revival Begins Previews On Broadway February 13, 2009
Posted: 6/29/08 at 11:36pm

I am so excited for this production. However, as to Diana DeGarmo - did whoever suggested it see her in WSS in San Jose? Because I did, and she was terrible. She was the indisputable weakest link in what was actually a pretty strong production otherwise. And this is coming from someone who liked DeGarmo on Idol...

IssaMe
#108re: WEST SIDE STORY Revival Begins Previews On Broadway February 13, 2009
Posted: 6/30/08 at 6:21am

Agree about David Burnham in the role. He would be terrific. He won't be doing it though. At least, not in this production.

As widely discussed here and elsewhere they really are looking for newcomers (and real teenagers to boot) with a vocal style that is "not exactly Broadway legit"!!!!

Being called in to audition have been many established Broadway stars (even those who are not actually seeking the role of Tony themselves).
But it is not the direction they seem to be going. All the expected names like Burnham, von Essen, Tveit, etc. apparently won't be the ones finally cast - unless there is a change of heart and approach. Instead, look for somebody new with a pop style.

SporkGoddess
#109re: WEST SIDE STORY Revival Begins Previews On Broadway February 13, 2009
Posted: 6/30/08 at 12:25pm

Oh God, I'm scared now.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

canirollerskate
#110re: WEST SIDE STORY Revival Begins Previews On Broadway February 13, 2009
Posted: 6/30/08 at 12:31pm

I second that, Spork Goddess. Bernstein? Pop styling? Next thing you know, there will be a reality show. "Somewhere: The Search for Maria and Tony."

I thought some things were holy. Geez.

The true test: the Tonight intro.

NY_Broadway2 Profile Photo
NY_Broadway2
#111re: WEST SIDE STORY Revival Begins Previews On Broadway February 13, 2009
Posted: 6/30/08 at 1:28pm

I'm interested to see this show. Hopefully, they won't change it too much from the original because that version is amazing to me! This is one of my favorite shows ever. I'm interested who's going to get cast.

If you hide from yourself, be someone else for someone else's sake, that would be the greatest mistake - bare

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#112re: WEST SIDE STORY Revival Begins Previews On Broadway February 13, 2009
Posted: 6/30/08 at 1:37pm

"As widely discussed here and elsewhere they really are looking for newcomers (and real teenagers to boot) with a vocal style that is "not exactly Broadway legit"!!!!"

West Side Awakening?

Merrily We Rumble Along?

Amateur Night In Dixie?

PJ, this all smells funny to me too. And things like this don't EVER work.

The choreography and music of WSS are both rooted in 1950s jazz, classic ballet, a bit of Aaron Copeland throughout and '50s mambo and other Latin rhythms. None of it is "current sounding or looking," and certainly not from the street gangs of today. You would have rap, hip-hop and many other styles of music blasting from their iPods, boom boxes and jacked-up cars, not Tito Puente or Celia Cruz.

It would be the equivalent of having the mass teenage American Idol addicts screaming over Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin. It's not happening.

So, if you mess with the book and the lingo, but leave the music and the dance exactly the same? I'm not sure what we'll get, truthfully.

Most likely something that looks like High School Musical sung to the tunes from Good News.

If these people wanted to be really risky, they would start from scratch and write their own new show about the gangs of today. Write a sequel, even (god forbid), if you feel it necessary to have this "West Side Story" brand on it. Maria and Chino can show up in a cameo as an old jaded married couple, commenting the the sacrifices they made for a world that their grandkids are trying to live in. Wouldn't that freak people out to learn that Maria married Chino? Anita could be a dress shop owner about to retire with no pension and very little hope for her future.

Then you could have younger characters, music and situations that actually ARE from the modern streets of NY.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#113re: WEST SIDE STORY Revival Begins Previews On Broadway February 13, 2009
Posted: 6/30/08 at 1:42pm

It sounds like Laurents is losing it.

How many kids would Maria and Chino have?

I thought Anita was that abuela in IN THE HEIGHTS.

SporkGoddess
#114re: WEST SIDE STORY Revival Begins Previews On Broadway February 13, 2009
Posted: 6/30/08 at 2:23pm

Oh no, Maria marrying Chino would really depress me. But, yeah, that would be a much better idea. Though I think a modern gang musical would be best if it took place in LA.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

dutch46mill2
#115re: WEST SIDE STORY Revival Begins Previews On Broadway February 13, 2009
Posted: 6/30/08 at 4:55pm

I also saw Diana Degarmo in WSS in San Jose. Yes there were some weak spots but it was in the acting. You have to take in account that was almost 4 years ago when she was 17. It was also her first time in a major, never mind starring role. I think she did an admirable job. Most of the cast I understand were New York people including the Director so hats off to her for giving her all in seasoned company. Since then she did Penny in Hairspray (Broadway) and Brooklyn in Brooklyn the Musical national tour.She's gained a lot of experience and maturity since so give her a break.Personally I love her jump in with both feet and give it your all attitude.She's in the studio now recording so I don't know if she has even auditioned for this but maybe she did her name has come up in this thread about 5 times. Updated On: 6/30/08 at 04:55 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#116re: WEST SIDE STORY Revival Begins Previews On Broadway February 13, 2009
Posted: 6/30/08 at 5:00pm

Laurents wants pop styled vocalist????? I'm not going to believe everything I read.