Funeral song question?

coolkid11776
#1Funeral song question?
Posted: 5/31/08 at 7:09am

Hi,
My grandma passed away last night, I'm looking for suggestions for a funeral song. I wish I could of done something to help her. I was thinking about either Left Behind from SA or Goodbye Love from Rent.

Any imput would be great

Rent The best show on Broadway. I was at the closing. BEST night of my Life. April 29th 1996-September 7th 2008 12 years of love "No Day But Today"

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#2re: Funeral song question?
Posted: 5/31/08 at 7:12am

Um, I wouldn't play a Broadway song at a funeral especially Good Bye Love, if any song from Rent it should be I'll Cover You, and your Grand Mother passed away less than 24 hours ago and one of the first things you do is ask for a Broadway Song to play at her funeral on Broadway World? That's not right

SirNotAppearing Profile Photo
SirNotAppearing
#2re: Funeral song question?
Posted: 5/31/08 at 7:19am

Yeah. I wouldn't suggest Broadway songs, especially not Goodbye Love, since it makes no sense out of context and isn't really about the kind of "love" one has for a grandmother.

My condolences to your family. Updated On: 5/31/08 at 07:19 AM

Zeitoujo
#3re: Funeral song question?
Posted: 5/31/08 at 7:26am

Fantine's Death... Sorry about your loss.

"Those You've Known And Lost Still Walk Behind You"-Spring Awakening

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#4re: Funeral song question?
Posted: 5/31/08 at 7:29am

At my funeral, I'm having someone sing 'How Glory Goes' from 'Floyd Collins'. It won't exactly be a comfort to anyone, but it's either that or have it sung at my wedding. ^_^

My Dad's always saying how he wants me to sing at his funeral. I suppose I should ask if he has any songs in mind before it gets too morbid to ask... o_O

coolkid11776
#5re: Funeral song question?
Posted: 5/31/08 at 8:11am

Thank for everyone for your prayers I know she's looking down on me now.
Any imput on Left Behind from SA?

Rent The best show on Broadway. I was at the closing. BEST night of my Life. April 29th 1996-September 7th 2008 12 years of love "No Day But Today"
Updated On: 5/31/08 at 08:11 AM

Mattbrain
#6re: Funeral song question?
Posted: 5/31/08 at 8:44am

Left Behind doesn't work. And I agree with Drunk Chita Rivera.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

coolkid11776
#7re: Funeral song question?
Posted: 5/31/08 at 8:49am

well my dad had asked me this morning if I had any suggestions so I was looking for imput.
Sorry if it came out wrong.

LittleSally Profile Photo
LittleSally
#8re: Funeral song question?
Posted: 5/31/08 at 8:49am

I lost my mom a year ago and one thing I've learned is that grief is an individual and personal thing. Try not to take it to heart when someone tells you how you're suppose to act.

How about "For Good" from Wicked? I know the entire song might not work but verses from it would.

commasplice
#9re: Funeral song question?
Posted: 5/31/08 at 11:56am

"Anytime (I Am There)" - Elegies: A Song Cycle

I'm sorry for your loss.

zooxanthellae Profile Photo
zooxanthellae
#10re: Funeral song question?
Posted: 5/31/08 at 12:01pm

Wishing you were somehow here again, from Phantom?

Kind of cheesy, but that's essentially what that song is about.
thats the only song that immediately comes to mind right now.

I would not sing any song from either rent or Spring Awakening.

You could always have someone sing a more traditional funeral song and not something from a musical.

Sorry for your loss.
Updated On: 5/31/08 at 12:01 PM

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#11re: Funeral song question?
Posted: 5/31/08 at 12:33pm

Sorry for your loss.

Why SA? Why RENT?

There are many other beautiful, more appropiate songs from traditional musicals that you could use.

even something like "Anytime" from ELEGIES is a great choice.

I can easily think of more alternative or pop songs, however, that could be better for a Funeral. the song "Heaven" by Bryan Adams? any Rascal Flatts song?

BroadwayBelle2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBelle2
#12re: Funeral song question?
Posted: 5/31/08 at 12:33pm

"Say Goodnight,Not Goodbye" - Here's the song it's probably perfect for what you're looking for. Hope this helps, and I'm sorry for your loss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCHWll8Qj3Y

Updated On: 5/31/08 at 12:33 PM

singingbackup Profile Photo
singingbackup
#13re: Funeral song question?
Posted: 5/31/08 at 12:45pm

You Walk With Me from Full Monty.

Is is the wind
Over my shoulder?
Is it the wind that I hear gently whispering
Are you alone there in the valley?
No, not alone for you walk, you walk with me

Is it the wind there over my shoulder?
Is it your voice calling quietly?
Over the hilltop, down in the valley
Never alone for you walk with me

When evening falls
And the air gets colder
When shadows cover the road I am following
Will I be along there in the darkness?
No, not alone, not alone
And I'll never be...

Never alone, you are walking
You're walking with me

Is it the wind there, over my shoulder?
Is it your voice calling quietly?

thereisnofuture Profile Photo
thereisnofuture
#14re: Funeral song question?
Posted: 5/31/08 at 12:49pm

Those You've Known-Spring Awakening
Without You-RENT

dramagirl487
#15re: Funeral song question?
Posted: 5/31/08 at 12:59pm

Being a huge fan of RENT, i can understand your choice in RENT or SA, but I would suggest NOT singing a song from one of those musicals. SA music often has little oppertunity for hope or recovery, and RENT can be confusing without context. If any, i'd agree with those above and say "I'll Cover You". Without you or Goodbye love are very sad songs and won't ease the grief of your family.

Wishing you were somehow here again is also the same way. Its a very sad song, guarenteed to inspire tears, but not comfort

the suggestion of "For Good' might not be exactly what you're looking for, but i'd say something like that; more a message of appreciation for the loved one's life, not recognition of their death.

The first one that comes to mind is "being alive" but that might be a little sad considering the death. Just think of an insiprational song for you.

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#16re: Funeral song question?
Posted: 5/31/08 at 1:03pm

I sang the first half of "Flying Home" from 'Songs for a New World' at my grandmother's funeral and it worked well. I don't think the OP asking about this is wrong or bizarre at all. My grandmother was incredibly supportive of my performing career and I wanted to pay tribute to her in the best way I could. Good for you, coolkid; it's a brave thing to step up at such an emotionally difficult time.

"You Walk With Me" or "Anytime" are both beautiful choices.

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#17re: Funeral song question?
Posted: 5/31/08 at 1:05pm

I second the whole people grieve in individual ways. So much goes into it ~ your relationship with the person (one grandmother I totally grieved, the other ~ as horrible as this sounds ~ my cousins and I went to the viewing to make sure she was gone. She was just a negative presence in our lives.) Also how expected the death was can have a huge impact. When my dad's father died, it wasn't totally unexpected as he had many things going on, but he hadn't been in the hospital. My mom's father, last August, had been in the hospital for a week before and had not been doing well for a couple of months. While it was sad when he died, it was not unexpected and was honestly a relief from the waiting.

That said, I'm sorry for your loss. Grieve how you need to. Take care of you.

As far as a song... "You'll Never Walk Alone" from Carousel?

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

PlayhouseBeauty Profile Photo
PlayhouseBeauty
#18re: Funeral song question?
Posted: 5/31/08 at 1:28pm

There is a song by Rockapella called I'll Walk With You....I know its not really a broadway song at all...but mama mia sang it at the easter bonney competition a few years back...Its a really pretty song and the Mama Mia company sang it for a cast member that had passed away. Here are the lyrics:

I walk this road, dodging the wind and the ground
Why am I still surprised my feet make no sound?

My love, my friend, if ever the road breaks in two
If ever you're drifting and the hoping wears you down
I'll walk with you

And when you're weak, I'll hold you dear
When twilight dawns and leaves are down
And when you cry, I'll be your tears
With every step, I'll be your ground

My soul was poor, a babe left at your door
But now I'm grown and strong from your embrace
Love, I'm so sure I can do anything

Chorus

Oh my love
Sure as the blue rain gonna rise
Sure as the red sun burns the years into these eyes
I'll walk with you

And if you hurt, I'll comfort you
Wrap you in dreams when nighttime comes
And if you slip, I'll see you through
If shadows fall, I'll raise the sun

And when you walk, I walk with you
Always, my love, when dreams are down
And when you fly, I'll fly with you..

Give my condolences to your family!

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#19re: Funeral song question?
Posted: 5/31/08 at 1:33pm

So sorry for your loss, my suggestions:

"Days of Plenty" from Little Women

or

"Waiting on the Farside Banks of Jordan" from Ring of Fire (as sung by Cass Morgan)

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#20re: Funeral song question?
Posted: 5/31/08 at 2:01pm

I could totally sing 'You'll Never Walk Alone' at my Dad's funeral (when he EVENTUALLY goes), but he'd come back and bitchslap me if I did. It's a football thing.

I love 'You Walk With Me'! What a great idea! :)

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#21re: Funeral song question?
Posted: 5/31/08 at 2:03pm

I have to second "You'll Never Walk Alone" from CAROUSEL.
I think "No One is Alone" from INTO THE WOODS might be a good idea as well.
My condolences.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#22re: Funeral song question?
Posted: 5/31/08 at 2:05pm

I second "No One is Alone."
"Will You"- Grey Gardens

I know you. I know you. I know you.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#23re: Funeral song question?
Posted: 5/31/08 at 3:09pm

Yeah...I'm surprised "No One Is Alone" didn't occur to me since it's on a short song list on almost constant repeat on my computer. I'd third that one.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

bythesword84 Profile Photo
bythesword84
#24re: Funeral song question?
Posted: 5/31/08 at 3:25pm

"You Walk With Me" from The Full Monty is beautiful...and sung at a funeral in the show. I actually used the lyrics from it when my grandmother died.

And hang on, when did you win the discus?

Videos