Eden Espinosa-Pitch Issues

theaterguy11 Profile Photo
theaterguy11
#1Eden Espinosa-Pitch Issues
Posted: 5/31/08 at 5:23pm

Am I the only one who thinks this girl has pitch problems? Everytime I have seen her live she always seems to be sharp. Im impressed that she can belt as high as she does...but It doesnt mean much to me if it isnt the right notes.

I have come to not really understand why people go so crazy about her. I just dont see it. Anybody else agree?

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#2re: Eden Espinosa-Pitch Issues
Posted: 5/31/08 at 5:25pm

Yes, you are the Only one.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#2re: Eden Espinosa-Pitch Issues
Posted: 5/31/08 at 5:26pm

Whoever said she was good?

She got BROOKLYN, WICKED, and now RENT. notice a trend there?

it's not like she's the new best thing since sliced bread. I have never been an Eden fan!

re: Eden Espinosa-Pitch Issues

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#3re: Eden Espinosa-Pitch Issues
Posted: 5/31/08 at 5:42pm

Anybody who has ever played any role in any production of WICKED anywhere is going to have a massive fan base.

That's just a given.

Actual level of talent is irrelevant.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#4re: Eden Espinosa-Pitch Issues
Posted: 5/31/08 at 5:47pm

It could be partially due to the fact she has no professional vocal training.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#5re: Eden Espinosa-Pitch Issues
Posted: 5/31/08 at 5:49pm

Could also be due to the fact that she can't act?

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#6re: Eden Espinosa-Pitch Issues
Posted: 5/31/08 at 5:50pm

I don't think that affects pitch, TooDarnHot, but I could be wrong.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#7re: Eden Espinosa-Pitch Issues
Posted: 5/31/08 at 5:51pm

lol. But without any vocal training I seriously doubt she has a healthy technique.
Updated On: 5/31/08 at 05:51 PM

into_the_woods2 Profile Photo
into_the_woods2
#8re: Eden Espinosa-Pitch Issues
Posted: 5/31/08 at 6:13pm

wait...no vocal training?!!! that really shocks me
contrary to most people on this thread i actually think she has a really great voice

"The good news is I have an excellent Tony speech. The bad news is I've had it for forty-five years."-Elaine Stritch

My Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
#9re: Eden Espinosa-Pitch Issues
Posted: 5/31/08 at 6:15pm

Nah, she sounded great the one time I saw her.

Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#10re: Eden Espinosa-Pitch Issues
Posted: 5/31/08 at 6:17pm

I think her pitch is horrible. And her belting face is the worst in Broadway history. I mean in TooDarnHot's pic the face she is making looks like she had an accident, and she can feel it starting to run down her leg...

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical

SporkGoddess
#11re: Eden Espinosa-Pitch Issues
Posted: 5/31/08 at 6:19pm

I think that she screams instead of belting, personally.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

OrdinaryJukebox
#12re: Eden Espinosa-Pitch Issues
Posted: 5/31/08 at 6:21pm

Aside from "Brooklyn," "Wicked," and now "Rent," she's also done readings for new musicals, "Flora The Red Menace," an episode of "Law and Order," just to name a few other projects.

I've seen her work, and I must say, I've always been impressed by her vocals. Actually, when I saw her in "Wicked," it was her character that impressed me the most. I wasn't expecting much in the acting department, but, I was really surprised.

The thing is, there are videos of her where she's spot on and videos of her where she's off. However, if you search any performer, not all of their performances are going to be spot on. There are some actors who are labeled "Gods/Goddess'" and "brilliant," and "genius" (I'm not naming names) and I've seen videos of some of them where they're way off pitch, tempo, and everything else.

She's a human. No one working in theatre is a machine, people are bound to have off moments. I think she has way more on moments than off, and the fact that she hasn't had traditional voice training, but has managed to do as much work as she has (how long was she hitting those notes in "Wicked" from her day as the stand-by, the Broadway run, and the national tour run?) without blowing her voice. I say, kudos to you, Eden.

-Vincent

insertclevernamehere Profile Photo
insertclevernamehere
#13re: Eden Espinosa-Pitch Issues
Posted: 5/31/08 at 6:22pm

I think she's improved.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention...I'm the good cop, he's the bad cop.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#14re: Eden Espinosa-Pitch Issues
Posted: 5/31/08 at 6:31pm

Eden sucks, Vincent.

Just accept it darling

achangeinme Profile Photo
achangeinme
#15re: Eden Espinosa-Pitch Issues
Posted: 5/31/08 at 6:33pm

As a performer myself, it both surprises and concerns me when I read that Eden hasn't had any formal vocal training. While she has very natural talent, the vocal health and techniques taught by a voice teacher will seriously help the longevity of her career.

My sister, a huge AI fan, informed me that Jordin Sparks is out because of vocal health problems. I fear that this could be Eden's future if she doesn't learn about healthy belting, etc.

I don't want this to come off as pretentious. I actually think Eden has a very powerful voice. I just think she could go even FARTHER and maintain her career by taking from a professional instructor, especially since there are so many amazing teachers based in NYC!

SporkGoddess
#16re: Eden Espinosa-Pitch Issues
Posted: 5/31/08 at 6:34pm

I always thought that Jordin was a soprano in denial who just wasn't meant to belt yet tried anyway. I think that because she sounded just like I sound when I try to belt. re: Eden Espinosa-Pitch Issues

Updated On: 5/31/08 at 06:34 PM

insertclevernamehere
#17re: Eden Espinosa-Pitch Issues
Posted: 5/31/08 at 6:41pm

I think I read somewhere that she didn't have formal vocal training UNTIL she did Wicked. But then she got a teacher.

achangeinme Profile Photo
achangeinme
#18re: Eden Espinosa-Pitch Issues
Posted: 5/31/08 at 6:42pm

That makes more sense, insertclevernamehere. I can't imagine anyone pulling off eight shows a week without any proper training! Your own instincts can only go so far...

It would also explain why others commented that she has improved vocally as time has progressed.

into_the_woods2
#19re: Eden Espinosa-Pitch Issues
Posted: 5/31/08 at 6:47pm

sporkgoddess, i am with you on the sopranos in denial!!! haha sometimes i'm like "wait i can sing this..." *dies trying to belt*

"The good news is I have an excellent Tony speech. The bad news is I've had it for forty-five years."-Elaine Stritch

insertclevernamehere
#20re: Eden Espinosa-Pitch Issues
Posted: 5/31/08 at 6:49pm

I'm in soprano denial as well. It makes me so sad

SporkGoddess
#21re: Eden Espinosa-Pitch Issues
Posted: 5/31/08 at 6:50pm

Haha, I definitely know the feeling. JRB's work is usually my undoing (especially The Last Five Years)!

Updated On: 5/31/08 at 06:50 PM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#22re: Eden Espinosa-Pitch Issues
Posted: 5/31/08 at 6:52pm

I saw her twice in Brooklyn in Denver before it went to Broadway and was impressed both times I saw her.

Just give the world Love.

insertclevernamehere
#23re: Eden Espinosa-Pitch Issues
Posted: 5/31/08 at 6:55pm

Well, I keep getting cast in belty roles (like Amneris in AIDA) and so try to be a soprano determined to do riff on Strongest Suit. I couldn't talk the day after the last show. re: Eden Espinosa-Pitch Issues

into_the_woods2
#24re: Eden Espinosa-Pitch Issues
Posted: 5/31/08 at 6:56pm

haha lets be strong sopranos. we do have a LOT of really good parts we can play...even if belting does not come the most naturally to us

Videos