pixeltracker

How the heck did Xanadu get nominated?

How the heck did Xanadu get nominated?

Zeitoujo
#1How the heck did Xanadu get nominated?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 10:30am

Can someone please explain to me how a show about a roller disco and greek gods got nominated for the TONY AWARDS?!!?!?!?!??!?!

"Those You've Known And Lost Still Walk Behind You"-Spring Awakening

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#2re: How the heck did Xanadu get nominated?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 10:33am

Have you actually seen the show? If I hadn't seen it I'd probably be saying the same thing, but I have and thought it was brilliant.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

pc1145N2 Profile Photo
pc1145N2
#2re: How the heck did Xanadu get nominated?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 10:35am

If you've actually seen the show, you KNOW how it got nominated.
In fact, I hope it wins!

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#3re: How the heck did Xanadu get nominated?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 10:40am

Its a very entertaining show! and its the second BEST REVIEWED show next to Passing Strange.

C'mon? must we discuss this? Dont worry.. it wont win the TONYS!

J*

#4re: How the heck did Xanadu get nominated?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 10:41am

What Cubby wants, Cubby gets.

tgrabon Profile Photo
tgrabon
#5re: How the heck did Xanadu get nominated?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 10:48am

Three words: Douglas Carter Beane.

timmmmmmmmmy
Updated On: 6/5/08 at 10:48 AM

broadwayjim42
#6re: How the heck did Xanadu get nominated?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 10:49am

It may not be great art, but it is a hell of a lot of fun, well-performed and given the source material, very well-crafted.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#7re: How the heck did Xanadu get nominated?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 10:53am

it was a very weak year...

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#8re: How the heck did Xanadu get nominated?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 10:56am

Pshh...XANADU is superior to all of its competition.

Weak, my foot.

YES. IT. CAN.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde
Updated On: 6/5/08 at 10:56 AM

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#9re: How the heck did Xanadu get nominated?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 10:57am

Why do people ask questions like this without backing up their questions with more substantial thoughts? I mean, you obviously saw it...right? It's an entertaining musical.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

barcelona20
#10re: How the heck did Xanadu get nominated?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 11:00am

Because "fun" musicals often are rewarded. However, this show was mostly only fun if you are gay or have some love of the 1980's. If you are neither, then the show completely misfires.

Yet, many of the voters fall into one of those two categories.

And another thing, the book is vastly overrated. Sorry DCB.

harris007 Profile Photo
harris007
#11re: How the heck did Xanadu get nominated?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 11:03am

and foa's coolness points just went way up

Attend the tale of Bovine Boy His party threads we all enjoy But does he have Mad Cow Disease? He doesn't eat beef - but cows skating? - oh please!!! With cocoa!?! And lemonade!?! The heifer-mad poster of Broadway (World)

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#12re: How the heck did Xanadu get nominated?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 11:08am

It got nominated because it was better than all other new musicals this season. DUH!

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#13re: How the heck did Xanadu get nominated?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 11:09am

In my opinion it WAS a weak year...here is my assessment of the four nominated musicals:

CRY BABY: Awful book. Awful score. Both leads are miscast. Good choregraphy though. It was the pity nomination of the year (like The Wedding Singer two years ago).

IN THE HEIGHTS: Great score. Very weak book. It should win because it is the best of the four nominated. In a strong year for musicals though, ITH might have even been overlooked.

PASSING STRANGE: A performance art piece posing as a Broadway show. Awful book. Awful score. Painful acting. The worst show I have ever seen in my entire life. However, I do realize it got across the board rave reviews, and by that respect, yes, it deserved a nomination.

XANADU: A show based on a painful movie. I did not care for it, but I guess it could be considered fun...and it certainly is fluff. I just think its existence on Broadway is kind of pointless, but regardless of what I think, yes, it also got rave reviews, so it deserved to be nominated. And regarding Douglas Carter Beane's book, I did not care for it, but I think he will win because the nominating committee will give him credit for creating a book that "works" considering that the original movie did not work AT ALL.

That being said, IN THE HEIGHTS is the favorite to win Best Musical and it did not get as favorable reviews as XANADU or PASSING STRANGE, which I think is kind of funny.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#14re: How the heck did Xanadu get nominated?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 11:13am

"this show was mostly only fun if you are gay or have some love of the 1980's. If you are neither, then the show completely misfires."

I'm neither gay nor do I love the 80s. Yet, I enjoyed the show...nothing "completely misfires" for me.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

broadwayjim42
#15re: How the heck did Xanadu get nominated?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 11:25am

I will agree with Barcelona only in the fact that I have to watch who I recommend it too.

My 17-year-old son and my partner would hate it, while my daughter, some of her friends and her best friend's mom would love it.

Really depends on your sense of humor.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#16re: How the heck did Xanadu get nominated?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 11:29am

At this point, I honestly hope it wins. It's better than the other three nominated shows, which isn't saying much.

But seriously, I had a better time at Xanadu than any of the other nominated musicals. It accomplishes what it sets out to do a lot more than the other shows that are nominated.
Updated On: 6/5/08 at 11:29 AM

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#17re: How the heck did Xanadu get nominated?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 11:38am

I have only seen XANADU, PASSING STRANGE, and IN THE HEIGHTS. So the comments below pertain to just having seen these three nominated shows:

XANADU -- The BEST overall production. Solid score, solid book, solid acting. There are NO holes or weak points ANYWHERE. Generally speaking, the only reason why people may not like it is because of WHAT it is (not HOW it was executed). It's a show that makes fun of itself and its genre. For what the show is and does, I think it is BRILLIANT! PLUS, you have some great unique add-on factors: rollerskates, on-stage seating and interaction, Kerry Butler, Mary Testa, Jackie Hoffman, Cheyenne Jackson, and one of the BEST ensembles I have ever seen.

PASSING STRANGE -- understanding that it was PERFORMANCE ART, I thought it was a solid book, a strange score (that worked 3/4 of the time), and OUTSTANDING performances. However, these performances were performed in a strange void. A void that obviously confused many, but also won over many. Personally, I thought it was mediocre performance art and the only reason why it's getting the attention it is getting is because it is unique to the Broadway scene. It's "cool" to like. The one thing I kept on hating and hating throughout the show was Stew. Until the very end of the play, I just couldn't stand him. He was distracting and irritating.

IN THE HEIGHTS -- A new "flavah" for Broadway yet again. I'll be brief. This COULD have been the best of the season if it weren't for a WEAK book. Usnavi's character sung so fast I missed lyrics a lot of the time. I immensely enjoyed myself a lot of the time, but I equally felt "?" a lot of the time.

So at the Tonys, do we reward extreme rarity/fresh flavah/originality, even though those shows include problems? Or do we reward the overall BEST show of the season which had NO problems?

So if you don't care about the show's structure and writing, then it all comes down to taste.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#18re: How the heck did Xanadu get nominated?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 12:02pm

Bravo, Capn.

YES. IT. CAN.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

Ed_Mottershead
#19re: How the heck did Xanadu get nominated?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 12:10pm

From another angle, look at the "overlooked" ones: Young Frankenstein, which was a mega-disappointment; Little Mermaid, which was recycled Disney (enough said); Catered Affair, which bored the hell out of everyone; and Glory Days, which was a misfire from the get-go and should never have been on Broadway in the first place.

Xanadu, on the other hand, was entertaining, well-performed by a dazzling cast, fast-paced and the most fun of any show this season. No, it's not Guys and Dolls or My Fair Lady or Gypsy. But it's the best of a problematic lot and does what it sets out to do. Having seen all the nominated shows and most of the un-nominated ones, I would give it the prize in a heartbeat. Also, don't discount the idea of its winning -- with a tour planned to begin next season and a production planned for London, someone must be doing something right. So, Fie on You! Yeah, FIE!

And Huzzah for the most fun show in NY right now!

BroadwayEd

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#20re: How the heck did Xanadu get nominated?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 12:17pm

When this show was first announced I was one of the first nay sayers. I mean, the Olivia Newton John movie is so unwatchable.

Boy , was I wrong. I had more pure fun at this show than I have had at any other musical on Broadway this year.

So, to get to your question: Why was it nominated ? ..... Because it deserved to be. Bravo and Congrats to the cast and creators for giving me a wonderful night of theatre. And despite the twerp they have as a publicity gimmick for their Tony campaign, I'm rooting for this underdog to come out on top.

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#21re: How the heck did Xanadu get nominated?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 12:22pm

"a show about a roller disco and greek gods"
Honey, they didn't come up with that. It's called a PARODY. And a hilarious one at that. Granted, I'm not sure it's best musical material, but it definitely deserved that nomination.
------------------------
""this show was mostly only fun if you are gay or have some love of the 1980's. If you are neither, then the show completely misfires."

I'm neither gay nor do I love the 80s. Yet, I enjoyed the show...nothing "completely misfires" for me."

Same here!
-----------------------

And finally, it's not trying to be a genius work of art, it's purpose is just an all around good time and it accomplishes that goal.

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

Humbert
#22re: How the heck did Xanadu get nominated?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 12:23pm

SOUTH PACIFIC , AUGUST OSAGE COUNTY, THE SEA FARER, DEAD MAN'S CELLPHONE AND

XANADU

WERE THE BEST COMMERCIAL PRODUCTIONS OF THE YEAR.

"HANDS DOWN. BAR NONE." AS DUNCAN SHEIK WOULD SAY.

PEOPLE KNOW IT. YOU CAN FEEL IT IN THE STREETS. HATERS ARE GETTING FRUSTRATED. THE BUZZ IS HARD TO STOP. XANADU IS UNSTOPPABLE. THINK ABOUT HOW MUCH THAT SHOW HAS BEEN THRU AND ITS STILL HERE AND EVERYONES' STILL TRYING TO FIGURE IT OUT. MAYBE ITS NOT THAT COMPLICATED...

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#23re: How the heck did Xanadu get nominated?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 12:25pm

SOUTH PACIFIC and DEAD MAN'S CELL PHONE were not commercial productions.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Humbert
#24re: How the heck did Xanadu get nominated?
Posted: 6/5/08 at 12:29pm

Sorry, I meant commercial in the sense that they were mainstream, that they sold tickets for money, used traditional advertising, not that they weren't produced by a non-profit arm, meaning not an experimental theater piece, like a Richard Foreman play in a park somewhere...