New MY FAIR LADY film

RetroBoy
#75re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 5:06am

i love the original warner bros. film but i'm not too crazy about audrey hepburn in it. audrey is a favorite of mine ~ just not in 'fair lady'. she was woefully miscast in it. i wouldn't mind seeing this re-made at all.

Fan2
#76re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 6:45am

It's in Variety today and they say it's Keira Knightley.
Keira Knightley in Talks

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#77re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 7:12am

If the casting of someone like Knightley (who I think could actually be very good) is any indication, I'm willing to bet money that the production team's first choice for Higgins is going to be Colin Firth.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 6/6/08 at 07:12 AM

WestEndAndy Profile Photo
WestEndAndy
#78re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 7:34am

Colin Firth or even Hugh Grant. Bridget Jones 3 here we come.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#79re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 8:02am

No, no a thousand times no!

LostLeander
#80re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 8:11am

Will there ever be a movie musical where they cast people who can sing the role?

Marni Nixon is getting a tad too old for all this..

Personally, I think I have too much bloom.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#81re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 8:14am

somethingwicked, Firth would be quite perfect for Higgins. With Hugh Dancy or McAvoy as Freddy.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#82re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 8:54am

Oh my dear sweet Lord. Jane Austen's "My Fair Lady." I think I'm going to vomit.

Now I understand all those sci-fi geeks who are always moaning about how George Lucas stomped all over their childhood memories with the "Star Wars" prequels.

Roscoe
#83re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 8:58am

I don't have a problem with a remake. The original film is really dreadful, terribly stagebound and lifeless. It might be good to see a new film of this material. A lot will depend on the production team, of course, and the casting. I'm sure it'll be Brits all the way.

I'd much rather see Daniel Day-Lewis play Henry Higgins than Guido Contini.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

philcrosby
#84re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 9:03am

That release reeks of the most astonishing hubris I have read in years.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#85re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 9:42am

Wow! This sounds like its going to go the way of:

GUYS AND DOLLS with Vin Diesel and Nicole Kidman
DAMN YANKEES directed by Rob Marshall
THE LIFE movie that never happened
the CABARET remake with Nicole Kidman

On and on and on...

I'll believe it when I see it.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#86re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 9:56am

Okay dream casting...

Anne Hathaway as Eliza (although I love Martine McCutcheon)
Colin Firth as Professor Higgins
Julie Andrews as Mrs. Higgins
James Marsden as Freddy
Danny DeVito as Alfred Doolittle

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#87re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 9:59am

Kiera Knightley as Eliza?! Why not have a Pirates reunion!

Kiera as Eliza
Johnny Depp as Higgins
Orlando Bloom as Freddy
Jonathan Pryce as Eliza's Dad

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

GoSmileLaughCryClap Profile Photo
GoSmileLaughCryClap
#88re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 10:08am

The real star of the original movie was Cecil Beaton. The art direction, sets and costumes made the movie. The wallpaper in Higgin's library is as memorable as the performances. George Cukor's direction is very timid, and Hepburn is miscast.

The whole concept of using some representation of real London is interesting. And sharp direction would immediately distinguish it from the original.

I don't see a remake as a sacrilege. The original was a more opulent take of the stage show, with lots of the same creative people.

This is nothing like doing a remake of Citizen Kane. That was conceived, designed, written and directed by Orson Welles as a unique work of cinema. My Fair Lady was a reverent reproduction of the original Broadway staging.

I'm sure there were lots of people asking why on earth someone would take Shaw's perfect Pygmalion and turn it into a musical.

Roscoe
#89re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 10:08am

I agree with Borstal. Let's not get in a tizzy until we know this thing is actually happening.

I'm not holding my breath.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

Tappingfool
#90re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 10:46am

I think the producers should cast a talented unknown in the role of Eliza.

Frankly, despite the fact that both Hathaway and Knightley have a measure of international fame, neither is a proven box office draw.

Practically nobody is nowadays. Neither has the fame or Q rating of say, a young Julia Roberts - which is the only thing that justifies them being hired if the producers are looking for star power and box office heft.

There are a few movie stars who can put fannies in seats in SOME genres of films with which they are closely associated. For instance, Matt Damon in the Bourne movies, or Will Smith in high concept action movies or warm and fuzzy dramadies.

But when even Julia Roberts and Tom Hanks are no longer sure things at the box office, fixating on Anne or Kiera to the exclusion of others, makes no sense.

So why not give a talented unknown who fits the part like a glove, a chance.

And even more of a casting challenge than Eliza, is Henry Higgins.

I can't think of a single Brit actor who I think is able to to pull off the Higgins style of talk-singing with the needed aplomb.

Misha77
#91re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 11:12am

How about Kelsey Grammer for Prof. Higgins?
I know he did the show last year with Kelli O'Hara.

For the role of Eliza, I would love to see either an extremely talented unknown actress, or a stage actress that we may know but general audiences would not.
Personally, I think that casting a well-known celebrity as Eliza would be a mistake.

And I second the Julie Andrews cameo suggestion.

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#92re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 11:27am

I disagree that Audrey Hepburn was miscast. I think it would have been only fair to give Julie the role, but once Audrey had it, she was magical. I saw the film for the first time when I was eleven and I had never seen or heard of Audrey Hepburn before. Once I saw it, she became my favorite actress, and still is (21 years later!). I didn't bring any presuppositions about her to my viewing -- I wasn't used to her as Princess Ann or Sabrina or Holly Golightly -- and I thought she was wonderful. (I'm not saying that everyone who saw her in MFL had too many preconceptions about her, but I'm guessing it's the case for a lot of people.) Of course she was better after Eliza's transformation, but she threw herself into the WHOLE thing, and brought a waifish quality even to the first part that was very appealing.

Anyway, the only thing I have to say against her in the role is that she couldn't sing it, and if the producers are so all-fired bent on casting Keira Knightley or someone similar, it's obvious they don't care about making up for past mistakes in that department.
Updated On: 6/6/08 at 11:27 AM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#93re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 12:51pm

I'm sure there were lots of people asking why on earth someone would take Shaw's perfect Pygmalion and turn it into a musical.

Not to mention completely changing the ending. I always had a problem with that. I don't want Eliza to return to Higgins. After "Without You", the rest of the show is a letdown. I've never liked "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face" and it doesn't really drum up much sympathy from me for Higgins.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

arykahmarye
#94re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 1:04pm

This announcement really amused me, because over Christmas, my dad (who adores My Fair Lady) just randomly brought up the topic of a remake and, suggested that Hugh Laurie would make an excellent Henry Higgins. Which i have to agree with, because the guy is an excellent actor, is musically talented, and can do cranky with a sense of humor.
Beyond that we threw out some random suggestions, like bringing back the old duo and putting Stephen Fry in as Colonel Pickering, maybe having David Tennant play Freddie. But the biggest point my dad made was that for Eliza's transformation to be believable, you really need a young unknown to play the part. That was the biggest fault with Audrey Hepburn, is that she was already such an icon, it was harder to accept her cockneyed-flower girl persona.
Of course, the original film is a masterful piece of work, and really, i find the musical to be one of the best pieces that's ever existed on Broadway, so the fact that they want to add to the script is a little disconcerting.

"Umm...A1 is a steak sauce."

achangeinme Profile Photo
achangeinme
#95re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 1:07pm

Double post. Sorry! re: New MY FAIR LADY film Updated On: 6/6/08 at 01:07 PM

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#96re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 1:08pm

I really like the idea of Ms. Knightley as Eliza. I'd still like confirmation that that's really her singing in "The Edge of Love." I just don't see how that could be her voice.

The casting of Higgins really concerns me. There are actors I could see them going with who would be such a let down in this role. Colin Firth makes sense and, unfortunately, I could easily see him being cast, but in reality, he wouldn't bring anything to the character. IMO, he'd be boring. Rex Harrison didn't just play the snide, overbearing professor (THAT others can and have done well), he brought so much bite and flair to the character. I hope they get a real thespian with that kind of magnetic quality for this role.

It's too bad Roger Rees isn't a tad younger. He would be perfect.

achangeinme Profile Photo
achangeinme
#97re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 1:09pm

This makes me absolutely livid.

I grew up on the My Fair Lady film--and I can honestly say I would be a completely different person without it. MFL sparked both my love for musical theatre and Audrey Hepburn. I honestly probably wouldn't be pursuing musical theatre if it wasn't for this brilliant film! I'm in total agreement with all those who have voiced, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Nevertheless, if it has to be done, please no Keira Knightley. She already ruined the P&P remake--must we have her bland acting and outlandish facial expressions convuluting the screen once more! I love Amy Adams and Kelli O'Hara. I'd like them to surprise me! Anne Hathaway has never impressed me. I'm surprised she is so loved across the board here. I've seen greater talents get bashed.

Is it even possible for a remake like this to be actually good in our day and age? What Hollywood heavyweight couldn't/wouldn't ruin this project? I'm sorry, but my hope in the film industry has been completely crushed in the last five years or so.

PHEW--it feels good to get that off my chest. :)

musicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
#98re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 1:13pm

Here is a clip of Keira Knightley singing in her new film edge of love. She sounds pretty good actually.
Keira Knightley Singing

Wildcard
#99re: New MY FAIR LADY film
Posted: 6/6/08 at 2:00pm

I wouldn't mind remaking these classic musicals if they can actually make it better. There's room for growth for My Fair Lady. However, the original movie was very good to begin with so there's a lot of room to fail as well. One thing that shows promise with this version is Sir Cameron's involvement. That guys LOVES "My Fair Lady" and hopefully, his involvement in the film will help protect the movie's integrity.

Videos