JP2
#25re: ITH's 96K = rip off of Black Star/Mos Def
Posted: 6/17/08 at 11:05am

LOL @ this thread

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#26re: ITH's 96K = rip off of Black Star/Mos Def
Posted: 6/17/08 at 11:09am

Does anybody remember the song "If I...I Had a Million Dollars" from a show called THE ME NOBODY KNOWS?

musicalmaster703 Profile Photo
musicalmaster703
#27re: ITH's 96K = rip off of Black Star/Mos Def
Posted: 6/17/08 at 11:19am

With "too darn hot" he says "Like my friend Cole Porter said" after

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#28re: ITH's 96K = rip off of Black Star/Mos Def
Posted: 6/17/08 at 11:23am

*yawn*

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#29re: ITH's 96K = rip off of Black Star/Mos Def
Posted: 6/17/08 at 11:23am

Drunk Chita Rivera, he even stole yer name.

#30re: ITH's 96K = rip off of Black Star/Mos Def
Posted: 6/17/08 at 11:25am

He said he's friends with Cole Porter? So he's a LIAR too- Cole Porter died in 1964- before this little thief was even born!

musicalmaster703 Profile Photo
musicalmaster703
Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#32re: ITH's 96K = rip off of Black Star/Mos Def
Posted: 6/17/08 at 11:28am

its not a rip off. If anything it had to do with his inspiration. Lin took all the music that he loved infused it into a broadway show, I think it's genius.

he says "like my man cole porters" not "like my friend"

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#33re: ITH's 96K = rip off of Black Star/Mos Def
Posted: 6/17/08 at 11:29am

"They seem to be on total opposite ends of the spectrum to me."
170 blocks away... plus avenues, so I'd say around 9 miles apart.

Also there are so many pscyhopaths on this board that I don't even know who's joking and who isn't anymore!

Also he lyKe Oh Em GeE coPiEd DuKe ElLiNgSuMtHiNg!!!!

Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)
Updated On: 6/17/08 at 11:29 AM

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#34re: ITH's 96K = rip off of Black Star/Mos Def
Posted: 6/17/08 at 11:58am

As much as people are making a joke out of this, that is a little alarming. Wonder how much more of the score was "sampled" from something else.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#35re: ITH's 96K = rip off of Black Star/Mos Def
Posted: 6/17/08 at 12:00pm

Both In the Heights and Passing Strange, in parts, sound like Larson songs. Though, Larson could rhyme a lot easier than Miranda "can".

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#36re: ITH's 96K = rip off of Black Star/Mos Def
Posted: 6/17/08 at 12:14pm

i would have to disagree with that sentiment.

Jon
#37re: ITH's 96K = rip off of Black Star/Mos Def
Posted: 6/17/08 at 12:26pm

Jonathan Larsen totally stole that "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas" line, AND "Do you know the way to Santa Fe?"

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#38re: ITH's 96K = rip off of Black Star/Mos Def
Posted: 6/17/08 at 12:28pm

omg and "oh holy night"

BroadwayChica Profile Photo
BroadwayChica
#39re: ITH's 96K = rip off of Black Star/Mos Def
Posted: 6/17/08 at 12:28pm

What an annoying and ridiculous thread. Trying to make it seem like Lin is "stealing" or being completely unoriginal because of possibly coincidental similarities, or actual samplings, is asinine, and beneath all of us.

I'm not sure about the Mos Def comparison (it seems coincidental to me), but as a matter of fact, there *are* samplings from other songs in the score of In The Heights, but most people don't notice cause they don't know sh*t about latin music. It's not sketchy. It's an homage, plenty of artists do it, and Lin gladly owns up to all of it. You're trying to make a big deal out of nothing.

And as for Larson, not to disparage Rent, because I happen to love that show, but say what you will about ITH, it has no rhyme as awful as "You wanna produce films, write songs/you need somewhere to do it/it's what we used to dream about/think twice before you poo poo it"

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#40re: ITH's 96K = rip off of Black Star/Mos Def
Posted: 6/17/08 at 12:34pm

Humbert has made it very clear before that he didn't like the show and seems to be looking for something to complain about.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

futurenala Profile Photo
futurenala
#41re: ITH's 96K = rip off of Black Star/Mos Def
Posted: 6/17/08 at 12:35pm

Amen, lol to the second part!

"Robin De Jesus has issues"~ JANET DACAL "Yeah, and that's putting it lightly"~ ANDREA BURNS "If you watched CBS on June 15th , I was nominated for a Tony... And I was in Camp"~ ROBIN DE JESUS "...but I ^&#$@*% made you believe I was Italian!"~MATTHEW MORRISON http://legallybrownonbroadway.com/

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#42re: ITH's 96K = rip off of Black Star/Mos Def
Posted: 6/17/08 at 12:41pm

supposedly

Just give the world Love.

bobby_luvs_bway Profile Photo
bobby_luvs_bway
#43re: ITH's 96K = rip off of Black Star/Mos Def
Posted: 6/17/08 at 12:54pm

Uncageg, thank you. My brain almost exploded when I read that.

SporkGoddess
#44re: ITH's 96K = rip off of Black Star/Mos Def
Posted: 6/17/08 at 1:06pm

Some people on this thread need better sarcasm detectors.

And, it could be a sampling.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#45re: ITH's 96K = rip off of Black Star/Mos Def
Posted: 6/17/08 at 1:49pm

Stephen Schwartz totally "sampled" 'Over The Rainbow' for 'Wicked'. And I don't think Gregory Maguire came up with Elphaba either!!!!!

Jeez, I see why people are getting confused, even I can't work out how much of what I just said was sarcastic... o_O

heathurrr
#46re: ITH's 96K = rip off of Black Star/Mos Def
Posted: 6/17/08 at 2:16pm

There's a lot of sarcasm going over a lot of heads in this thread. (heyyy, I rhymed.)

"As we all should probably have learned by now, to be a Stephen Sondheim fan is to have one's heart broken at regular intervals" - Frank Rich

Dearest, how can this be so? You were dead, you know. - Candide

Oh my god, this show has everything! Half naked guys and girl on girl action! - [title of show]

(My avatar? Why, yes! That is Laura Benanti making out with a chick!)

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#46re: ITH's 96K = rip off of Black Star/Mos Def
Posted: 6/17/08 at 2:27pm

In the words of the great Lily Tomlin:

L......M.......uh....A......................O

I can't believe how stupid this thread is! Are you all NEW?!?! Did you not learn ANYTHING from the last two decades??

If your name is Andrew Lloyd Webber, then you are stealing. If you are anyone else, then you are simply "inspired by...".

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#47re: ITH's 96K = rip off of Black Star/Mos Def
Posted: 6/17/08 at 2:51pm

LOL!

oh my god, I love the crazy IN THE HEIGHTS fanyboys who are actually taking this thread seriously.

Listen to that Mos Def song starting at 1:40. He clearly stole the melodic line to the "1, 2, 3... what would you do with 96 g's" but so what?

Every composer takes a snippet of their music from somewhere. It's all inspiration.

It's not a big deal. For those of you trying to defend him, YOU are the ones making it a big deal! It's an obvious homage to that song.

Don't play dumb.

It's basically the same thing.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#49re: ITH's 96K = rip off of Black Star/Mos Def
Posted: 6/17/08 at 4:44pm

Out of curiosity, what part of Wicked is derivative of "Somewhere over The Rainbow?"

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/