First Stage Door Experience

BroadwayBelle2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBelle2
#1First Stage Door Experience
Posted: 6/24/08 at 11:29am

Since there is alot of talk about going to the stage door, I thought I'd ask, what show/actor was the first stage door you ever went to?

Mine was "Annie Get Your Gun" with Bernadette Peters and Tom Wopat. I was 13 at the time and didn't even know about a stage door. I remember being so excited because I never met or saw a celebrity up close before. It was so much fun, I remember being shy, because I didn't know what to say, they were very nice.
Updated On: 6/24/08 at 11:29 AM

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#2re: First Stage Door Experience
Posted: 6/24/08 at 11:32am

My second Broadway show...the OBC of RENT. Met Adam Pascal after the show...and I don't remember him being very nice. But I did get his autograph. If I recall correctly, he came out the stage door with his girlfriend (he's straight right?), or someone he was with, and they were both smoking cigarettes.

Yankeefan007
#2re: First Stage Door Experience
Posted: 6/24/08 at 11:34am

Jason Biggs at THE GRADUATE is the first in my cognisant memory, but I have Playbills from RENT and BEAUTY AND THE BEAST signed from long before that.
Updated On: 6/24/08 at 11:34 AM

MikeMagbaleta Profile Photo
MikeMagbaleta
#3re: First Stage Door Experience
Posted: 6/24/08 at 11:42am

1st Broadway Stage Door experience was after watching Aida with Toni Braxton. She was very accommodating to the crowd, considering her already huge celebrity status as an R&B artist.

1st Off Broadway Stage Door was with the SF National Tour Cast of Jersey Boys and Pre Broadway preview of Legally Blond w/Laura Bell Bundy in San Francisco. Both casts were very kind when signing playbills, posing for pictures and waiting till all fans were accommodated.

Dollypop
#4re: First Stage Door Experience
Posted: 6/24/08 at 11:42am

Tammy Grimes in HIGH SPIRITS

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

DefyGravity777
#5re: First Stage Door Experience
Posted: 6/24/08 at 11:47am

Les Mis Revival last July. I had wanted to see and meet Lea Salonga ever since she was in Miss Saigon. I did meet her and she was very nice to me. She said "WoW that's a long time" when I told her how long it's been since I've been waiting to see or meet her...LOL.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!
Updated On: 6/24/08 at 11:47 AM

Zeitoujo
#6re: First Stage Door Experience
Posted: 6/24/08 at 11:47am

At BATB with Christy Romano!

"Those You've Known And Lost Still Walk Behind You"-Spring Awakening

MovieGuy1031 Profile Photo
MovieGuy1031
#7re: First Stage Door Experience
Posted: 6/24/08 at 11:53am

Spamalot with Harry Groener as Arthur.

I remember Harry and Steve Kazee being INCREDIBLY nice - though there only were about 5 people waiting.

The most memorable part though was waiting for Lauren Kennedy to come out to sign, and while I was waiting, I watched Sutton Foster come down Shubert Alley and slip in the stage door (presumably to see her husband.)

Lauren never showed, but I was content having seen Sutton.

"The nice thing about the rain is that it always stops... eventually."

- Eeyore
Updated On: 6/24/08 at 11:53 AM

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#8re: First Stage Door Experience
Posted: 6/24/08 at 11:58am

Junior year in high school. A Chorus Line during the original run. It was my first ever show, and several of us in the group I was with waited. I still have the playbill and souvenir program from that somewhere.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

broadwayjim42
#9re: First Stage Door Experience
Posted: 6/24/08 at 11:59am

My first stage door was my first show..."Fifth of July."

I was there reviewing it for my college newspaper (after receiving an invite) and beyond getting Amy Wright and Swoosie Kurtz's autographs, it provided an excuse to attempt to "interview" Richard Thomas, who gamely answered a couple of questions and let us take a quick look at the set.

A month or so later, Swoosie won her Tony, I sent her a congratulatory telegram and received a really sweet personal note in return that I still have...

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#10re: First Stage Door Experience
Posted: 6/24/08 at 12:09pm

Folks, get ready to laugh:

My first time stage-dooring was at Dracula!

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#11re: First Stage Door Experience
Posted: 6/24/08 at 12:13pm

No need for us to laugh...I stage doored Dracula and was thrilled to be meeting Melissa Errico and Kelli O'Hara for the first time!

Select a Member Name Profile Photo
Select a Member Name
#12re: First Stage Door Experience
Posted: 6/24/08 at 3:14pm

Rent. The crowd was insane.

"You have two kinds of shows on Broadway – revivals and the same kind of musicals over and over again, all spectacles. You get your tickets for The Lion King a year in advance, and essentially a family... pass on to their children the idea that that's what the theater is – a spectacular musical you see once a year, a stage version of a movie. It has nothing to do with theater at all. It has to do with seeing what is familiar.... I don't think the theatre will die per se, but it's never going to be what it was.... It's a tourist attraction." Stephen Sondheim

Kev14 Profile Photo
Kev14
#13re: First Stage Door Experience
Posted: 6/24/08 at 3:20pm

My first stage door was at the Wicked with Victoria Matlock and Christina DeCicco.

The friendliest stage door experience I had was at the Little Mermaid try out.

Upcoming Shows: Quilters, A Bronx Tale, August: Osage County, Wicked, Spring Awakening, Little House on the Prairie

Mandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
#14re: First Stage Door Experience
Posted: 6/24/08 at 3:25pm

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. I was so excited to meet Norbert during one of my Rent/Wicked obsessions, and Joanna Gleason because I've been in love with Into the Woods since I was about 7.

NYCboy2 Profile Photo
NYCboy2
#15re: First Stage Door Experience
Posted: 6/24/08 at 3:34pm

Rent.

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#16re: First Stage Door Experience
Posted: 6/24/08 at 3:36pm

Into the Woods revival.

verynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
#17re: First Stage Door Experience
Posted: 6/24/08 at 3:40pm

Legally Blonde. I still feel ashamed.

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#18re: First Stage Door Experience
Posted: 6/24/08 at 3:43pm

I've run into people (involved) with shows prior having 'stagedoored' -- buuuut -- my first time actually 'waiting outside post-show' was August 29th 2006. Martin Short: Fame Becomes Me! Wore my home-made "GLICK FIX" t-shirt (which Mr. Short loved!), and got him to sign my playbill, my t-shirt (and) snagged a sweet picture with him! Then, my buddies and I made a mad dash to UCB for the 11 o'clock show! FANTASTIC EVENING and a helluva lot of laughs!

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#19re: First Stage Door Experience
Posted: 6/24/08 at 3:46pm

Sweeney Todd revival.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

misschung
#20re: First Stage Door Experience
Posted: 6/24/08 at 3:58pm

lol, I love the Adam Pascal story.

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

DRSLOL776 Profile Photo
DRSLOL776
#21re: First Stage Door Experience
Posted: 6/24/08 at 4:03pm

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

I’ve seen other shows prior to DRS and never had a stage door experience. I always thought “how the heck did the people get the autographs and pictures???” For whatever reason, it never occurred to me they had to “stage door” for those stuff.

I saw DRS 5 times and one day I exited from a different side after the show was over. I saw a bunch of people waiting around and they had their playbills out. That’s when I realize “this is where I can meet the cast and get autographs!” I was so excited since this is my all time favorite show!!

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#22re: First Stage Door Experience
Posted: 6/24/08 at 4:09pm

I'm from the Midwest and I visited NY for the first time in october and saw my first Broadway show, Young Frankenstein, which I was very excited for. I met Sutton, who I had a nice conversation with, and Chris Fitzgerald who was incredibly kind and funny. They signed my playbill and thenn, as we were leaving shuler hensley came out,so I ran up and said good job. Later that weekend, I found roger bart on the street with Susan stroman, and I got a picture with him. Only when I walked away I realized I had asked susan stroman to take the picture of us.
It was a fun experience and i can't wait to return this october.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#23re: First Stage Door Experience
Posted: 6/24/08 at 4:11pm

I did it the first time at Spamalot back in March. The only people who came out to sign autographs were Hannah Waddingham, Rick Holmes, and Tom Deckman. That was good enough for me though. What was really funny was Hannah signing my playbill. She tried writing on it legibly, but it ended up not happening, so she commented that it was mostly scribble, or something to that effect. But hey, at least I can say that Hannah Waddingham scribbled on my playbill.

Oh yeah, and this was also the night when Clay's most precious fans left as soon as they found out he wasn't coming out to sign anything. Thanks to them, I managed to get up to the gate in the front and there was nobody behind me.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

BillyE
#24re: First Stage Door Experience
Posted: 6/24/08 at 5:14pm

Thoroughly Modern Millie.
I just had to meet Sutton Foster.