News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Gypsy: What is written in the letter from June?

Gypsy: What is written in the letter from June?

COOOOLkid
#1Gypsy: What is written in the letter from June?
Posted: 7/4/08 at 4:48am

This is such a trivial thing, but it's still interesting nonetheless. So I have some pieces of the letter that Patti rips and throws it out to the audience, but I'd love to know if anybody has the complete letter that they're willing to type it here.

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy
Updated On: 7/4/08 at 04:48 AM

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#2re: Gysy: What is written in the letter from June?
Posted: 7/4/08 at 8:37am

It says, "Dear Mama. I'm writing you this letter to tell you that you should tear it to pieces and throw it on the ground. I'm sure that someone will find pieces of it and will drive themselves crazy trying to figure out what the entire letter said. Oh yes, and when you throw it down, check for cell phones in the front row. June"

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: Gysy: What is written in the letter from June?
Posted: 7/4/08 at 8:48am

Brilliant.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#4re: Gysy: What is written in the letter from June?
Posted: 7/4/08 at 8:57am

It says, "I needa P."

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#5re: Gysy: What is written in the letter from June?
Posted: 7/4/08 at 9:05am

I have always wondered about this, in June Havoc's book she says that neither she nor Louise ever went to school and she couldn't read or write till she was in her twenties.

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#6re: Gysy: What is written in the letter from June?
Posted: 7/4/08 at 9:10am

re: Gysy: What is written in the letter from June?

". . . POP . . ."

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#7re: Gysy: What is written in the letter from June?
Posted: 7/4/08 at 9:19am

In that case... here it is! I found June's letter!

re: Gysy: What is written in the letter from June?

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

CurtainPullDowner
#8re: Gysy: What is written in the letter from June?
Posted: 7/4/08 at 10:25am

Well, that explains it.
No wonder Rose sings that song.

Jon
#9re: Gysy: What is written in the letter from June?
Posted: 7/4/08 at 10:48am

Actually, there is a P.S.:

"Since June can't read or write, it's actually me, Tulsa, writing this for her."

"P.P.S.: I don't know if this mariage will last. I think I like boys better."

gypsy4
#10re: Gysy: What is written in the letter from June?
Posted: 7/4/08 at 11:22am

I always thought it said " your a bitch mama"

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#11re: Gysy: What is written in the letter from June?
Posted: 7/4/08 at 11:24am

Gysy? seriously?

gypsy4
#12re: Gysy: What is written in the letter from June?
Posted: 7/4/08 at 11:40am

have you ever heard of sarcasm?

tgn915 Profile Photo
tgn915
#13re: Gysy: What is written in the letter from June?
Posted: 7/4/08 at 12:22pm

I have most of the note and my friend also has a big chunk. I'll try and piece it together for you and let you know exactly what it says.

EDIT: I don't see anything obsessive or strange about taking the letter. Nobody else in the front row was going to take it so, why not? It's part of the show you can bring home with you.

Call me Travis. :)
Updated On: 7/4/08 at 12:22 PM

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#14re: Gysy: What is written in the letter from June?
Posted: 7/4/08 at 12:29pm

-- "I have always wondered about this, in June Havoc's book she says that neither she nor Louise ever went to school and she couldn't read or write till she was in her twenties."

So, then it must read something like:

"Tulsa an i r runing a way. i wan 2 B n actris. i h8 u mama. By!"

Patash-

Love it!

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#15re: Gysy: What is written in the letter from June?
Posted: 7/4/08 at 12:29pm

Man, you guys need a new hobby.

husk_charmer
#16re: Gysy: What is written in the letter from June?
Posted: 7/4/08 at 12:34pm

tgn-
There is nothing wrong with it. A friend of mine has the glove Tammy Blanchard discarded framed. It's just a neat souvenir.

And, for the record, I have prop Les Miz money that managed to fly over the pit at Bass Hall.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

oohshizz146 Profile Photo
oohshizz146
#17re: Gysy: What is written in the letter from June?
Posted: 7/4/08 at 12:39pm

Another post by oohshizz146 about Spring Awakening,sorry...:
I got to see a copy of the letter Melchior gets from Wendla and it actually says what hes reading, and continues on what it would read if he wasn't cut off. Perhaps thats what the Gypsy one is like?
Sorry if this didn't help at all...

"I told you, NO Rodgers and Hammerstein!"- Bart Simpson

tgn915 Profile Photo
tgn915
#18re: Gysy: What is written in the letter from June?
Posted: 7/4/08 at 12:42pm

Thanks husk. :)

Yeah, oohshizz, the note would be the actual note that June left. It talked about how sorry she was, how strong Mama was, how much she loved her, and how Mama was only doing it for herself.

I'm pissed that I am only missing one or two pieces. I'll have to rush it again, I guess.

Call me Travis. :)

husk_charmer
#19re: Gysy: What is written in the letter from June?
Posted: 7/4/08 at 12:44pm

That's still cool.

Makes me wish I didn't hate sitting front row for things.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

changinandhow Profile Photo
changinandhow
#20re: Gysy: What is written in the letter from June?
Posted: 7/4/08 at 12:59pm

I don't have the first paragraph, so please excuse that, this is starting with the second.

"Stupid! Whatever talent I had was being killed off in that lousy act but I'm like you in one way: I knew something would turn up. And it did - Mr. Grantziger! He's a professional. He's the real thing. He saw I could be an actress. He was willing to pay for lessons, he was all set to make me a star! You never could - I knew that. But Mr. Grantziger could and he was ready - but you opened your big mouth because there was no place for you. That's all you really care about - you! Always you! You didn't care it was my first real chance because there was no place for you! The only thing you can do is that same rotten act. You can't help me be an actress. Mr. Grantziger could have but you wouldn't let him.

That day in his office wised me up. I saw what you really are. I knew I had to get away from you to be the actress I know I can be. And will be!

So I'm gone, Momma. With Tulsa. We have an act that's got better bookings than you have because we have a better act. That's for now. My goal is to be an actress. I'm going to be a real star - without you. You're all washed up. Go back to Seattle. Marry Herbie before he catches on to what a rotten wife you'd be.

One request: lay off Louise. She's a nice girl even though you're her mother. I hope I never see you again.

June"

Updated On: 7/4/08 at 12:59 PM

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#21re: Gysy: What is written in the letter from June?
Posted: 7/4/08 at 1:01pm

I have the whole thing taped together from the first performancse after the tony's. It says

Momma,

Your meal ticket is gone. I was so stupid that until that day in Mr. Grantziger's office, I didn't know that was really all I ever was to you. I knew the act was rotten-even the boys do- but stupid me believed you were doing it to make me a star-it depended on me and I didn't want to let you down.

Stupid! Whatever talent I had was being killed off in that lousy act but I'm like you in one way: I knew something would turn up. And it did- Mr Grantziger! He's a professional. He's the real thing. He saw I could be an actress. He was willing to pay for lessons, he was all set to make me a star! You never could-I knew that. But Mr. Grantziger could and he was ready- but you opened your big mouth because there was no place for you! The only thing you can do is that same rotten act. You can't help me be an actress. Mr. Grantziger could have but you wouldn't let him.

That day in his office wised me up. I saw what you really are. I knew I had to get away from you to be the actress I know I can be. And will be!

So I'm gone, Momma. With Tulsa. We have an act that got better bookings than you have because we have a better act. That's for now. My goal is to be an actress. I'm going to be be a real star-without you. You're all washed up. Go back to Seattle. Marry Herbie before he catches on to what a rotten wife you'd be.

One request: lay off Louise. She's a very nice girl even though you're her mother. I hope I never see you again.

(In script) June

Arthur Laurents wrote it by the way.

#22re: Gysy: What is written in the letter from June?
Posted: 7/4/08 at 1:06pm

Oh thanks for typing that! I have a few pieces that are ripped in such a way that I never got a whole sentence. I was impressed that the parts I did have included such strong language.

Now if I could just figure out what to do with that damn apple. Its so awkward.

CurtainPullDowner
#23re: Gysy: What is written in the letter from June?
Posted: 7/4/08 at 2:12pm

Pretty good for an illeterate 14 year old.

Go June!

#24re: Gysy: What is written in the letter from June?
Posted: 7/4/08 at 2:53pm

Mama im leving. my eers R hurtn coz yu sing 2 loud.

Videos