pixeltracker

How are you able to afford Broadway shows?- Page 2

How are you able to afford Broadway shows?

StephenSondheimWHOO Profile Photo
StephenSondheimWHOO
#25re: How are you able to afford Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/6/08 at 5:01pm

Theater Development Fund- its a great site where for a small yearly fee you can get really cheap tickets to broadway and off broadway shows.
tdf.org

PSLove302 Profile Photo
PSLove302
#26re: How are you able to afford Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/6/08 at 5:06pm

Get a "sugar daddy" !

"I don't see that many plays, and for me, musicals are rarely pleasing. I feel the actors are being put through a kind of nightmarish labor. They're like animals being forced to pull heavy carts of vegetables at incredible speeds." --- Wallace Shawn

TheatreFreak05 Profile Photo
TheatreFreak05
#27re: How are you able to afford Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/6/08 at 5:23pm

What kind of discounts does TDF have? 50 percent off?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#28re: How are you able to afford Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/6/08 at 5:26pm

No, it's more than 50%. Generally, about $40 for musicals, $35 for plays (with the service charge).

You have to be eligible to join, however.

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#29re: How are you able to afford Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/6/08 at 5:26pm

In DC, I usher at the regional theatres around town. I don't usually see tours.

When I am in NY, there are only a few instances in which I have paid full price for orchestra seats in the last couple of years. Usually, I use broadwaybox.com.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#30re: How are you able to afford Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/6/08 at 5:27pm

Discounts, discounts, discounts. And if there are no available discounts, I get the cheap/cheapest full price tickets. For example, I'm not going to pay $120 for BILLY ELLIOT when I can pay $40 for the rear mezz. I'm not a seat snob, so I don't usually care where I sit as long as I can see the stage.

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#31re: How are you able to afford Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/6/08 at 6:06pm

I don't eat very much, and my credit card provider hates me. I get discounts where I can, I try and coerce my parents into seeing shows because half the time they'll then pay for them, I get given theatre tokens every now and then which is nice, and I'm not above buying the cheapest tickets in the house. Also I just don't buy anything else. I'd love to pick up some new DVDs or CDs or books, but my theatre-habit seems to come first. I have GOT to get me a job that pays darn good cashola... I still wouldn't eat very much, but I might be able to buy a CD every other month or so. re: How are you able to afford Broadway shows?

Updated On: 7/6/08 at 06:06 PM

xoangel2789xo
#32re: How are you able to afford Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/6/08 at 6:07pm

I rush or buy discounted tickets for the most part.

When I was younger I used to go once or twice a year, usually orchestra seats. I hated sitting in the balcony because I have/had an issue with heights...but now I sit in mezz except for this one time I had an orchestra rush ticket for SA. I miss orchestra seats, but then I wouldn't be able to see as many shows. I too was wondering the other day how you guys manage to see so many shows. Maybe if I didn't spend so much on food >.<

Yankeefan007
#33re: How are you able to afford Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/6/08 at 6:11pm

I won the lottery some time ago.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#34re: How are you able to afford Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/6/08 at 6:13pm

I rarely eat in the city. The cost is so much higher than here. I eat before I leave home.

Also, if I take my younger sister my mother will pay for the whole day. Train tickets, show tickets, taxi (if necessary), and food.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#35re: How are you able to afford Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/6/08 at 6:13pm

Discounts, crappy seats (Okay, ITH there are none), and gifts.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#36re: How are you able to afford Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/6/08 at 6:17pm

For the most part TDF, rush tickets and cheap seats. I hate doing lotteries so I'll only do them if necessary.

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

wiggum2 Profile Photo
wiggum2
#37re: How are you able to afford Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/6/08 at 6:31pm

thank god for credit cards!

BroadwayBelle2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBelle2
#38re: How are you able to afford Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/6/08 at 6:48pm

I wish I can see shows more often, but it's an expensive hobby, discounts and all.

thelastmidnight Profile Photo
thelastmidnight
#39re: How are you able to afford Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/6/08 at 8:38pm

It's very possible to not be super rich and see a lot of Broadway shows, as it depends on whether or not you're a seat snob and how flexible you're willing to be with your show schedule. If you are absolutely intent on seeing a specific show in the front center orchestra on a specific date, then you're going to end up with a thin wallet. But if you're willing to change your plans according to discount code, rush, and lottery availability, then you can see shows for as little as $15.
Updated On: 7/6/08 at 08:38 PM

coolkid11776
#40re: How are you able to afford Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/6/08 at 9:25pm

How did u get $15 tix

Rent The best show on Broadway. I was at the closing. BEST night of my Life. April 29th 1996-September 7th 2008 12 years of love "No Day But Today"

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 7/6/08 at 9:59pm

Updated On: 5/3/09 at 09:59 PM

Ashley4Tale
#42re: How are you able to afford Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/6/08 at 10:16pm

You all should push for *season tickets* up there. It comes out a bit cheaper for each individual performance, and you have the advantage of being first pick for seats.

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#43re: How are you able to afford Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/6/08 at 10:59pm

Season tickets for Broadway? You can do that for Roundabout and I believe Lincoln Center, but now for Broadway in general.

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

elphiesmagic
#44re: How are you able to afford Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/6/08 at 11:04pm

I've heard of people using invalid student IDs to rush.

Brian had sex, with a really dumb girl, now he's taking his friend Stewie, to get some ice cream, in his car.

thetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
#45re: How are you able to afford Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/6/08 at 11:11pm

For you NYers:
You can see shows for FREE if you get a p/t job as a bartender, merch seller, usher (union), ticket taker (union), cleaner (union). You can see most Off or Off-Off Bway, Roundabout, MTC, etc. if you volunteer.
Do a bit of research and voila!

cello_dude Profile Photo
cello_dude
#46re: How are you able to afford Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/6/08 at 11:12pm

Most all the shows I see are because I work as an usher. I havent payed to see a show in years

DefyGravity777
#47re: How are you able to afford Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/6/08 at 11:17pm

I almost always get upper mezz,balcony or partial view tickets. I do lotteries also since I'm too old for Student rush. I very rarely pay full price unless it's a last minute thing and someone I want to see(understudy or standby) is in the show that day or night.

I also have a good paying job that helps alot since I live almost 4 hrs away and have to take the bus.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

antonijan Profile Photo
antonijan
BWayJunkie
#49re: How are you able to afford Broadway shows?
Posted: 7/7/08 at 10:14am

Updated On: 3/17/09 at 10:14 AM