Mama Mia Tour

musicandtemiror
#1Mama Mia Tour
Posted: 7/27/08 at 11:25pm

I just saw the Mama Mia Tour closing performance tonight in Philly.
Thoughts: First time seeing the show, haven't seen the movie, or heard the album [not a big fan of ABBA]. I really liked it. I was just wondering how it was compared to the broadway production or what others thought of it.

Jamie Pierce Profile Photo
Jamie Pierce
#2re: Mama Mia Tour
Posted: 7/27/08 at 11:28pm

Two of my best friends are in this show! I haven't seen it yet but I'd love to hear what people think!

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 7/27/08 at 11:29pm

Updated On: 5/2/09 at 11:29 PM

That Girl
#3re: Mama Mia Tour
Posted: 7/28/08 at 9:59am

I saw the show in Atlanta and I loved it. I'm sorry that I don't know the names of any of the performers, but I thought they were all great. I loved Sophie, Donna and Sam the best. My husband even commented on how beautiful Sophie's voice was and he is not someone who normally is impressed because he definitely prefers plays to musicals and really didn't want to go to the show in the first place.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#4re: Mama Mia Tour
Posted: 3/29/12 at 3:50pm

I just saw the opening night performance here in LA last night and all I have to say is that I’ve seen better community theatre productions.

The set has been whittled down to nothing. No turntables or hydraulics at all. It’s the two door units, two beds, a night stand and a drink cart. The stage hands were not even in blacks or costumes and were so distracting when they just wandered out and starting pushing stuff around.

The Dad’s are all just dreadful. The Ladies were lovely, but someone needs to fix Donna’s helmet of a wig. The back showed about an inch of her own hair hanging out.

And a few of the men in the ensemble were so bad, I wondered how they were ever cast in an Equity show. I think one must have a touch of the Downs.

Word is that this current tour will close at the end of summer and take a year off and then come back non-union. It couldn’t get any worse…

Oh, and the entire balcony was empty, as were the last few rows downstairs.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#5re: Mama Mia Tour
Posted: 3/29/12 at 3:54pm

I saw the tour last May and I agree with everything you said. The set was horrendous, and the leads were extremely mediocre.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#6re: Mama Mia Tour
Posted: 3/29/12 at 7:26pm

Mamma Mia never used a turntable and the Broadway production was the only one to have the blocks automated. Everywhere else it's moved by hand.

gypsy4
#7re: Mama Mia Tour
Posted: 3/29/12 at 8:25pm

And aren't the people moving Set pieces Cast Members? which could explain why they're not wearing black. They're in Character

ohjustjake
#8re: Mama Mia Tour
Posted: 3/29/12 at 9:13pm

Theatrefan4 - I remember the Toronto production having a turntable, but this wasn't part of the tour, it was a sit down production. But I remember it being almost identical to the Broadway production when I saw both.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#9re: Mama Mia Tour
Posted: 3/29/12 at 9:35pm

There was no turntable in the Toronto production....

The traditional design of this show includes the 2 large taverna wall units which are automated. And a wooden centre platform (called the jetty) which rises out of the floor. Some productions also have an up-centre elevator for the reveal of the 3 ladies during the finale.

smallworld Profile Photo
smallworld
#10re: Mama Mia Tour
Posted: 3/29/12 at 10:13pm

I saw this in January. It was alright. I feel like Kaye Tuckerman, who was Donna, did a fabulous job. The rest of the cast was alright too, but Kaye really took it for me. It was a horrible venue (the sound was the worst part of it) but the performances were pretty good. It's not a show that I'd rush to see again, though

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#11re: Mama Mia Tour
Posted: 3/29/12 at 10:55pm

I thought the tour was down to doing "smaller" cities now--kinda surprised it's back in LA (but I also assumed it was non-equity by now, so...)