obsessedjb
#75re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 8/1/08 at 11:38pm

"Blackout" definitely.

Here I Am Profile Photo
Here I Am
#76re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 8/2/08 at 12:00am

I am pretty surprised that nobody wrote the Act One closer from "Parade"... talk about dramatic! The orchestrations in the last minute of Act One is worth the price of admission alone.

Also, I'm really glad that somebody else posted "Light in the Piazza." I thought that I was the only one. I find that Act One ending INCREDIBLY powerful with the staging and the fast blackout. I actually gasped out loud. lol.

Updated On: 8/2/08 at 12:00 AM

myshikobit Profile Photo
myshikobit
#77re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 8/2/08 at 3:33pm

Carrie
Evita
Rebecca
Gypsy
Light in the Piazza
Rent

"There are only two worthwhile things to leave behind when we depart this world of ours: children and art." -Sunday In The Park With George

Sawyer86
#78re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 8/2/08 at 8:58pm

La Vie Boheme from Rent.

"each year you have a different understanding of gratitude, of humility, of love -- and I feel all of that differently the older I get."-Keith Urban

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#79re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 8/2/08 at 9:24pm

Sorry. Never mind this post.
Updated On: 8/2/08 at 09:24 PM

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#80re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 8/2/08 at 11:37pm

Can't Help Falling in Love from ALL SHOOK UP. Most definitely.

#81re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 8/3/08 at 1:35am

HereIAm, I totally agree with Parade! I added it a couple of posts ago...

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#82re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 8/3/08 at 3:14pm

"Piazza." Dear God. Breathtaking. "Say It Somehow" is s beautiful and then POW. Blackout. Amazing.

Act two of "August: Osage County." I realize it's "act one finale," but one simply can't neglect "You can't do this. This is my house!" "You don't get it, do you? I'M. RUNNING. THINGS. NOWWWW!" Blackout.

Oh, and "Sweeney." 1) "A Little Priest" is one of the greatest showtunes of all time and 2) it's the epitome of a "WTF?" moment. And right before intermission, no less!

bwaylvsong
#83re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 8/4/08 at 12:35pm

Ragtime!!
Till We Reach That Day

antz
#84re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 8/4/08 at 6:57pm

Great choices everyone! Here are mine (mostly repeats):

One Day More (I love how all the song themes are mixed together)
Sunday (simply beautiful)
Oh Brand New Day from Blood Brothers (Such an optimistic song for such a tragedy)
Defying Gravity (speaks for itself)
Gimme Love from Kiss of the Spider Woman
Saturday Night in the City from Wedding Singer (not a great musical, but really fun end of act 1)
A Little Priest (of course)

pc1145N2 Profile Photo
pc1145N2
#85re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 8/5/08 at 12:27am

Mostly a rehash of what everyone else has said....but here goes:

One Day More(Les Miserables)
A New Argentina (Evita) The first time I heard this live, I fell in love with the theatre
Everything's Coming Up Roses (Gypsy)
And I Am Telling You... (Dreamgirls)It still rips my heart out.
Defying Gravity (Wicked) The first time I heard this song was when I heard Stephanie J. Block belt it out. 25-ish years after I saw Evita, it reminded me why I love live theatre.

SDav 10495 Profile Photo
SDav 10495
#86re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 8/5/08 at 12:37am

4 pages already--with a high-profile revival in full swing--and no one has mentioned HAIR yet??

Although I guess the quality of that ending depends on who's in the show that night... re: Best act 1 finale

But really, aside from the ta-tas and the wee-wees, the end of "Where Do I Go" is a truly stirring Act One closer.

"If there is going to be a restoration fee, there should also be a Renaissance fee, a Middle Ages fee and a Dark Ages fee. Someone must have men in the back room making up names, euphemisms for profit." (Emanuel Azenberg)

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#87re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 8/5/08 at 1:01pm

I agree with the last few posters who wrote Parade. The cakewalk is absolutly chilling.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

cicero2 Profile Photo
cicero2
#88re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 8/5/08 at 2:12pm

hmmm
la vie boheme is probably still number one for me
and i love blackout

"I dreamt I married a 5-year-old boy. He treated me like a queen and was perfectly lovely. We took a driving trip for our honeymoon. Then it dawned on me: 'Oh my God! He doesn't have a driver's license! We could get arrested!'" - megan mullally

EVIE Profile Photo
EVIE
#89re: Best act 1 finale
Posted: 8/5/08 at 2:24pm

Another vote for "One Day More."