pixeltracker

Family trip to broadway -tkts booth?

Family trip to broadway -tkts booth?

dramagirl487
#1Family trip to broadway -tkts booth?
Posted: 8/11/08 at 3:46pm

My family and I are interested in going into NYC for a day to see a show. My parents do not like many of the shows that are currently featured, due to the mature content.

Because of these limitations, we cannot take advantage of many of the discounts available on playbill, theatermania, etc.

My family would be most interested in going to see The Lion King, but these tickets are hard to come by.

If we went to stand in line at the discount tickets booth, would we have a chance of getting a discount for Lion King?

How about Little Mermaid, or Phantom?

Are there any other shows my parents might enjoy?

And finally, is the booth still located in a hotel, or has the times square one been opened once again?
i know there was a booth at the South Street seaport as well. Is this one any better than the times square one?

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all your help.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#2re: Family trip to broadway -tkts booth?
Posted: 8/11/08 at 3:50pm

I've never been to the one by the Seaport, but the one next door to the Richard Rodgers is always mobbed. I'd say there's 95% chance that you won't be able to get Lion King tickets. If you haven't seen it yet and really wanna take a chance, put in for the In the Heights lotto. If not, then the tkts booth might have Gypsy tickets available. I'd take those.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

dramagirl487
#2re: Family trip to broadway -tkts booth?
Posted: 8/11/08 at 3:54pm

my parents are not cool with either Gypsy or In the Heights

They find Gypsy offensive (THEIR views, not mine. i've seen it)

and they hate the music style of In the Heights...

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#3re: Family trip to broadway -tkts booth?
Posted: 8/11/08 at 3:57pm

What about Legally Blonde/Mary Poppins/Hairspray.

verynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
#4re: Family trip to broadway -tkts booth?
Posted: 8/11/08 at 3:59pm

There are more offensive things on the streets of New York than there are in these shows.

broadwayrules  Profile Photo
broadwayrules
#5re: Family trip to broadway -tkts booth?
Posted: 8/11/08 at 4:01pm

This will probably help:

Last Week of Shows at TKTS

gregj63
#6re: Family trip to broadway -tkts booth?
Posted: 8/11/08 at 4:10pm

Go see The 39 Steps. It's not a musical, but is very entertaining and original, not a kids show (though my own kids enjoyed it), and has nothing that will offend their sensitivities. I saw it last weekend for the 3rd time, and it was less than half full. It deserves a bigger audience.

ashbash1990 Profile Photo
ashbash1990
#7re: Family trip to broadway -tkts booth?
Posted: 8/11/08 at 4:35pm

Here's whats at TKTS:
http://www.entertainment-link.com/tkts.asp

What a night! I was in more laps than a napkin!

Fosse76
#8re: Family trip to broadway -tkts booth?
Posted: 8/11/08 at 4:35pm

If your parents find Gypsy offensive, then they probably shouldn't ever leave their house. Or turn on their television. I found The Little Mermaid to be quite offensive. Disney clearly thought that its audience was mentally incapable of following anything that remotely follows a plot. The Lion King is never on tkts, so don't get your hopes up.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#9re: Family trip to broadway -tkts booth?
Posted: 8/11/08 at 6:19pm

You are going to be hard pressed to find anything that pleases them then. Other than the disney shows, everything is geared for adults.....and if they find Gypsy and ITH beyond tolerable, you aren't going to find much to their liking.

I don't know how old the kids are in your family, but I've brought my kids to LB and Hairspray and MOST of the questionable stuff goes over their heads. They loved them both.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

somethingscoming00 Profile Photo
somethingscoming00
#10re: Family trip to broadway -tkts booth?
Posted: 8/11/08 at 6:46pm

its much more affordable to use discounts from broadwaybox, theatremania, etc.

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#11re: Family trip to broadway -tkts booth?
Posted: 8/11/08 at 8:37pm

I've actually seen/heard of people getting upset during Hairspray about the Penny/Seaweed interracial relationship...

Some things in LB might be a little offensive too.

I'd recommend Mary Poppins out of the other ones suggested.

Updated On: 8/11/08 at 08:37 PM

bluesoprano Profile Photo
bluesoprano
#12re: Family trip to broadway -tkts booth?
Posted: 8/11/08 at 11:42pm

Just curious to people who may know: How busy does the TKTS booth at the Marquis Hotel get and how early should I arrive to it?

Thank you in advance!

george95
#13re: Family trip to broadway -tkts booth?
Posted: 8/11/08 at 11:56pm

Lion King is on schooltix.com from September to November.

Broadway Baby 2
#14re: Family trip to broadway -tkts booth?
Posted: 8/12/08 at 12:00am

You will not find tickets for The Lion King at TKTS. The only Disney show you can purchase tickets for at TKTS is Mary Poppins. If your parents are that strict I recomend Poppins.

PlayhouseBeauty Profile Photo
PlayhouseBeauty
#15re: Family trip to broadway -tkts booth?
Posted: 8/12/08 at 8:41am

I also suggest Mary Poppins or Wicked. Hope you have a good time.

broadwayjim42
#16re: Family trip to broadway -tkts booth?
Posted: 8/12/08 at 8:58am

I suggest leaving your parents in the hotel room and you seeing what you want. I know that sounds harsh, but if they're going to place such severe restrictions, why bother even seeing a show?

That said, Lion King is never at TKTS and couldn't vouch for Mermaid or Phantom.

Videos