Guys and Dolls revival casting

mywonderwa11 Profile Photo
mywonderwa11
#1Guys and Dolls revival casting
Posted: 8/21/08 at 1:49pm

If Anna Hathaway is playing Sarah and Debra Messing is playing Adelaide...who do you see playing Sky and Nathan?

Or has news of male actors leaked out and I just missed it...?

"Somethin's comin', I don't know what it is but it is gonna be great!"

defyingravity23 Profile Photo
defyingravity23
#2re: Guys and Dolls revival casting
Posted: 8/21/08 at 1:50pm

John C. Reilly as Nathan and Patrick Wilson as Sky.

Hey Mods how about unbanning my old account (Defyingravity07). Which was supposed to be freed on August 18th here we are August 21st and it is still blocked.

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#2re: Guys and Dolls revival casting
Posted: 8/21/08 at 1:53pm

Is this all true cause this could be a could revival

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

defyingravity23
#3re: Guys and Dolls revival casting
Posted: 8/21/08 at 1:54pm

Those are the names that were thrown around when the London production was going to transfer.

Hey Mods how about unbanning my old account (Defyingravity07). Which was supposed to be freed on August 18th here we are August 21st and it is still blocked.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#4re: Guys and Dolls revival casting
Posted: 8/21/08 at 1:58pm

Hathaway, Messing, Wilson, and Reilly were all attached when this was going to be a transfer of the Michael Grandage/ Rob Ashford revival from London.

I'd say the odds of those same actors coming on board for the Des McAnuff version a year later are slim (though, for the first time in years, Hathaway appears to have an open schedule.)

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

mywonderwa11
#5re: Guys and Dolls revival casting

My friend and I went to the Guys and Dolls EPA yesterday and were told that Anne and Debra were cast as Sarah and Adelaide.

Yankeefan007
#6re: Guys and Dolls revival casting

They've recently sent out EPA notices for the entire cast.

My ideal casting choices are Harry Connick, Jr., Kelli O'Hara, Norbert Leo Butz, and Leigh Ann Larken.

But that's just me.

defyingravity23
#7re: Guys and Dolls revival casting
Posted: 8/21/08 at 2:00pm

John is free, according to IMDB all his movies are in post production.

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#8re: Guys and Dolls revival casting
Posted: 8/21/08 at 2:06pm

I would Neil Patrick Harris to play either of the guys, though he would be better as Nathan.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Yankeefan007
#9re: Guys and Dolls revival casting
Posted: 8/21/08 at 2:07pm

Hathaway has an open schedule because she has to clear up a few months to serve time for her boyfriend's money troubles.

somethingwicked
#10re: Guys and Dolls revival casting
Posted: 8/21/08 at 2:09pm

Yankeefan, Hathaway is the one who turned her boyfriend in to the feds. She's got immunity.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Updated On: 8/21/08 at 02:09 PM

NYC_or_Bust Profile Photo
NYC_or_Bust
#11re: Guys and Dolls revival casting
Posted: 8/21/08 at 2:13pm

I cant help it guys...I would LOVE to see Gary Beach as Nathan

and I agree...I'd be there to see hunky Patrick Wilson as Sky

I adore the black band holding on the Phantom's mask. ~ Jenna2

Yankeefan007
#12re: Guys and Dolls revival casting
Posted: 8/21/08 at 2:16pm

Humor, Wicked, humor.

TheBalladeer Profile Photo
TheBalladeer
#13re: Guys and Dolls revival casting
Posted: 8/21/08 at 2:58pm

Hey! Do you know if they saw any Non-Equity folks yesterday? Just curious!

Chaz

"Someone tell the story...Someone sing the song...."

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#14re: Guys and Dolls revival casting
Posted: 8/21/08 at 3:03pm

Never gonna happen, but I'm PRAYING for Jane Krakowski as Adelaide. Please re: Guys and Dolls revival casting

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

mywonderwa11
#15re: Guys and Dolls revival casting
Posted: 8/21/08 at 3:14pm

Yes, they say non-union people. My friend who went with me is non-union, but she was on the top of the non-eq list, so they saw her and even asked her to sing a second song.

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#16re: Guys and Dolls revival casting
Posted: 8/21/08 at 3:47pm

I only remember Debra Messing singing "Midnight Train to Georgia" on Will and Grace. I think she's great...can't wait to see "The Women" but, can she sing? Does the caharacter of Adelaide require more of a comic actor as opposed to a singer?

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#17re: Guys and Dolls revival casting
Posted: 8/21/08 at 3:58pm

Gator...youre avatar's a hottie. GO GATORS!

caitlinette Profile Photo
caitlinette
#18re: Guys and Dolls revival casting
Posted: 8/21/08 at 4:03pm

Anne Hathaway? Ehhhhh...Why?

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#19re: Guys and Dolls revival casting
Posted: 8/21/08 at 4:08pm

Harry Connick Jr. and Kelli O'Hara would make the perfect Sky and Sarah, but if Connick Jr. is not cast I would rather see someone like Laura Benanti as Sarah instead. In my opinion Wilson's voice is too light for Sky and Norbert Leo Butz would be an ideal Nathan. Adelaide is hard, but both Debra Messing and Krakowski sound like good choices (Emily Skinner would be great too).

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#20re: Guys and Dolls revival casting
Posted: 8/21/08 at 5:42pm

I could do without Kelli O'Hara, girl is as bland as can be. Harry Connick Jr. might have charisma to spare but I think his acting is wooden (although I did not see him in THE PAJAMA GAME).
I love the idea of Patrick Wilson, although the likes of John Borrowman, Raul Esparza, and Cheyenne Jackson (though he might be a tad too young) would work wonders with the role.
Jane Krakowski is as perfect as you can get for Miss Adelaide and listening to the audio of her in the London production, it's easy to tell why she won the Olivier Award. Debra Messing will be good but she'll play the role in the traditional Blaine/Prince mold, Krakowski did something new with Miss Adelaide.
Hathaway is perfect for Sarah Brown, but Laura Benanti is indeed a great choice.
David Hyde Pierce would be my pick for Nathan.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

dayao Profile Photo
dayao
#21re: Guys and Dolls revival casting
Posted: 8/21/08 at 5:47pm

My dream cast for this revival would be Eden Riegel as Sarah Brown. Riegel is a superb actress and singer and has solid Broadway credentials and public recognition. A much better singer than Anne Hathaway, in my opinion, she also has the perfect look and voice for this role. But if Hathaway is already cast she would also be wonderful in the role as she certainly is a fine actress and singer.

Debra Messing would be great as Adelaide and I would be happy if she is already cast in the role (especially if this could create enough of a stir to pave the way for a revival of the show in which she would be the ideal star, “Wildcat”) but my first choice if the producers don’t mind casting a little younger is Tammy Blanchard, who has a great belt voice similar to Vivian Blaine, who originated the role. Blanchard was the best Louise ever in Gypsy and her comic banter during “The Strip” shows her to be a wonderful comic actress fully up to portraying Adelaide.

Although John C. Reilly would probably be excellent if cast, Harry Connick would be a great choice for Nathan Detroit, but not Sky Masterson, in my opinion. Masterson calls for a real legitimate baritone which Connick is not. But his resemblance to Frank Sinatra who played Detroit in the 1955 film version would be a plus if he were cast in this revival as despite its flaws the film is much-loved and today’s audiences would fully accept him as an ideal choice for Nathan. It also wouldn’t hurt at the box office if Messing and Connick, who were a couple on “Will and Grace”, are reunited on Broadway as Nathan and Adelaide.

I don’t think Patrick Wilson would make a very good Sky Masterson, at least not vocally. He is a light tenor at best and although a superb actor Wilson usually excels at playing weak or quirky characters, certainly not a characteristic of Sky Masterson. “The Full Monty” is a show that was the polar opposite of “Guys and Dolls” and his vocal limitations would not make him suitable for Sky, in my opinion. A better choice would be Cheyenne Jackson, who is a good actor and fine singer or better still, my current favorite singer, James Anest, who I hear is already in the running for the role as his possible Broadway debut. I heard Anest sing “Luck be A Lady” in a concert last year and his performance was magnificent with a commanding stage presence and he has the perfect look for the role. So I am rooting for Anest or Jackson as Sky Masterson.

"I long-ago realized that this country is a nation of morons, when it comes to knowledge of anything outside, or beyond, pop culture." Steve Slezak

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#22re: Guys and Dolls revival casting
Posted: 8/21/08 at 6:00pm

Right, we need a real baritone for Sky. Unfortunately, Broadway seems to be in low demand for them at the moment...

Oh, and like Ray said, it might be interesting to see someone give a different performance as Adelaide, because there are very few young female actors I can think of who have that old comic style (Jen Cody would give a great, classic, interpretation of Adelaide). Updated On: 8/21/08 at 06:00 PM

somethingwicked
#23re: Guys and Dolls revival casting
Posted: 8/21/08 at 6:02pm

dayao, you think Riegel has a superior voice to Hathaway? Really?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eez2qtBXnpM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#24re: Guys and Dolls revival casting
Posted: 8/21/08 at 6:03pm

O'hara might come off bland on recordings, but having seen her in PIAZZA, PAJAMA, and PACIFIC next week - she is anything but bland on stage.

Though, I don't see her for GUYS AND DOLLS.
Updated On: 8/21/08 at 06:03 PM

Videos