Is Jersey Boys good?

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#1Is Jersey Boys good?
Posted: 8/27/08 at 7:53am

I am sure that this is a stupid question to ask. But, I am going this afternoon and was wondering. I know it won the Tony and I know that it is the Four Season's back story. But, part of me feels like it is just the average jukebox musical.

Is it or is it different then the Mamma Mia's or Movin out's out there?

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Yankeefan007
#2re: Is Jersey Boys good?
Posted: 8/27/08 at 7:56am

It's very good. Better than Mamma Mia!

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#2re: Is Jersey Boys good?
Posted: 8/27/08 at 9:31am

I really enjoyed the show! Hope you do too.

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#3re: Is Jersey Boys good?
Posted: 8/27/08 at 10:29am

But, I am going this afternoon and was wondering.

Then why not wait a few hours and answer your own question?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#4re: Is Jersey Boys good?
Posted: 8/27/08 at 10:34am

Its simply stunning!
I've seen it in New York, London and San Francisco.
The original San Fran cast were simply knockout fantastic!

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#5re: Is Jersey Boys good?
Posted: 8/27/08 at 10:43am

Meeh...best of the jukeboxes, I guess.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#6re: Is Jersey Boys good?
Posted: 8/27/08 at 11:15am

Ever heard the expression......"If you ask a stupid question, you're going to get a stupid answer."

LizzieCurry
#7re: Is Jersey Boys good?
Posted: 8/27/08 at 11:35am

Considering who we're talking about here, Neal, he probably hasn't.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#8re: Is Jersey Boys good?
Posted: 8/27/08 at 11:38am

WINSTON:

THAN!

Jesus.

Will somebody send this kid to school?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#9re: Is Jersey Boys good?
Posted: 8/27/08 at 11:40am

It's definitely one of the best jukebox musicals ever, if not the best.

I haven't seen it with this current cast but I hear great things...its a very well done show with some slickly presented musical numbers and a highly memorable score. It's a lot of fun, really high energy, and much better than MAMMA MIA!

lightguy06222
#10re: Is Jersey Boys good?
Posted: 8/27/08 at 11:49am

Im seeing it in toronto ASAP and look very much forward to it!

Princeton2
#11re: Is Jersey Boys good?
Posted: 8/27/08 at 11:50am

Looks like im alone in this but in my view its the second worst show ive seen this year (first being The Wedding Singer UK tour). Only seen the London show, and dont get me wrong the cast are sensational, but its basically saying here are the facts and thats about it. It lacked any heart. Its a very slick production, like I say cant fault the amazing cast, but the show itself I found quite cold and even a little boring.

Eagleman
#12re: Is Jersey Boys good?
Posted: 8/27/08 at 11:51am

If "Jersey Boys" is minimized as "jukebox musical" what do you call "Ain't Misbehavin?"

I've never heard anyone refer to that as a "jukebox musical" and yet where were the Fats Waller songs that hadn't been "tin-pan alley" hits and not show tunes?

How about "Contact"? Did anyone refer to that as a "jukebox musical" at the time?

No matter what you call it, "Jersey Boys" is a better written piece of musical theater and more consumately theatrical than 90% of the musicals that make it to Broadway.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#13re: Is Jersey Boys good?
Posted: 8/27/08 at 11:55am

CONTACT wasn't even a musical. It was a dance recital.

There wasn't an Orchestra.

Pre-recorded songs were played from a boom box out into the theatre while a bunch of dancers danced with no dialogue or storyline.

I don't think labeling JERSEY BOYS a jukebox musical is in any way minimizing the show.

I think the creators of JERSEY BOYS reclaimed the meaning of the jukebox musical and showed how the concept could be used to create a well-executed piece of theatre.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 8/27/08 at 11:55 AM

LizzieCurry
#14re: Is Jersey Boys good?
Posted: 8/27/08 at 12:22pm

Jersey Boys isn't even really a musical. It's a play with music that at times resembles a musical.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#15re: Is Jersey Boys good?
Posted: 8/27/08 at 12:31pm

I believe you'd call Ain't Misbehavin' a revue.

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#16re: Is Jersey Boys good?
Posted: 8/27/08 at 12:31pm

If "Jersey Boys" is minimized as "jukebox musical" what do you call "Ain't Misbehavin?"

A revue.

eta: Phyllis beat me. re: Is Jersey Boys good? Updated On: 8/27/08 at 12:31 PM

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#17re: Is Jersey Boys good?
Posted: 8/27/08 at 12:39pm

well, Winston, it can't compete with the sheer brilliance of TALE OF TWO CITIES but it tries to come close. In fact nothing on Broadway can compete with that genius masterpiece... not even JERSEY BOYS!

Don't be dissapointed though. The school year will begin soon and you can go see TALE all you want. Before it flops and shuts down in a few weeks.

theatrenut2 Profile Photo
theatrenut2
#18re: Is Jersey Boys good?
Posted: 8/27/08 at 1:47pm

I really liked it. I saw it with the original cast, and I did not want to go. I was very surprised by how many songs I knew and the energy of the show. I think that you will enjoy the experience.

LizzieCurry
#20re: Is Jersey Boys good?
Posted: 8/27/08 at 2:10pm

As much as I love Jersey Boys, I almost equally loved how someone here described it as: "Some guys talk about the old songs they sang, then sing them."

Accurate.

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#21re: Is Jersey Boys good?
Posted: 8/27/08 at 2:34pm

I much prefer 'revue' to 'jukebox musical'!

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#22re: Is Jersey Boys good?
Posted: 8/27/08 at 2:37pm

I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Eagleman
#23re: Is Jersey Boys good?
Posted: 8/27/08 at 2:54pm

Well, I guess an asterisk has to be placed along side of both "Contact" and "Ain't Misbehavin" as well as "Jerome Robbins' Broadway", each of which brought home the Tony for "Best Musical".

Note: The Tony Award for "Best Musical" is a matter of debate and would not have been awarded to these productions if criteria, although undefined and opposed to the guidelines established by the American Theater Wing, were employed by some contributors to the Broadwayworld.com mesage board. Similarly, the 2002 production of "La Boheme", which was awarded two Antoinette Perry Awards, should be not considered as a musical since it is an opera, although it shares idientical features to musicals such as "Les Miserables" and "The Phantom of the Opera", excepting it is sung in Italian."

LizzieCurry
#24re: Is Jersey Boys good?
Posted: 8/27/08 at 2:59pm

Wow, Ric Romero posts on this board!
Who?

Foomle Profile Photo
Foomle
#25re: Is Jersey Boys good?
Posted: 8/27/08 at 7:36pm

I went in thinking that I wouldnt like it very much.

Bought tickets to go back the next day.

Now, I have the $40 book, the $25 Shirt, The $20 CD, Frankie Vali and The Four Seasons Greatest Hits Volume 1 and 2, and a :illegal: DVD.

I now listen to it on the way to and from school (40 mineutes) and Don't Worry 'Bout Me is playing right now.

You tell me if I liked it. :)

Formally Spellingbeefan4ever

Videos