Poll on Show Closings

legallyrentingwicked Profile Photo
legallyrentingwicked
#1Poll on Show Closings
Posted: 9/22/08 at 7:34pm

1. Which closing was the hardest for you?

2. What show were you secretly glad was closing?

3. What show currently on Broadway would you be the most sad if it closed?

4. What closing shows have you attended?

5. How many closings have you cried about?

"In the heights, money is tight but even so, when the light go down I blast my radio....."
Updated On: 9/22/08 at 07:34 PM

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#2re: Closings Poll
Posted: 9/22/08 at 7:43pm

1. I get attached fairly easily, but yet I still go to limited run shows. I was sad there was no additional extension of Sunday In The Park With George because I REALLY wanted my dad to be able to see it. But I didn't like go into mourning over it.

2. Rent. Don't get me wrong, the show has been a huge part of my life but lately it had just been painful. It was time for it to go.

3. Honestly? I'm not that attached to any right now.

4. The Vertical Hour
110 In The Shade
Beauty and the Beast
The Year of Magical Thinking
Pygmalion
Next to Normal
(yes, I know it was off-Broadway, but it was still a closing)
Sunday In The Park With George

5. Cried about meaning curled up in a ball and said I was going to die because it was closing? None.
Cried for various reasons during the show itself? All I've attended except Beauty. Probably because I'd only seen it for the first time earlier that month.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

winter_sky Profile Photo
winter_sky
#2re: Closings Poll
Posted: 9/22/08 at 7:54pm

1. Which closing was the hardest for you? Probably Passing Strange and A Chorus Line.

2. What show were you secretly glad was closing? I'm never happy people are going to be out of work, but I didn't really mind when A Catered Affair and Drowsy Chaperone closed.

3. What show currently on Broadway would you be the most sad if it closed? I'm not super attached to anything since 6 shows I love are closed/will have closed in a 4 month period. But I guess I would miss Boeing Boeing, Gypsy or Hairspray the most.

4. What closing shows have you attended? Spelling Bee, A Chorus Line, Passing Strange, Cry Baby and HAIR.

me2 Profile Photo
me2
#3re: Closings Poll
Posted: 9/22/08 at 8:17pm

The revivals of OKALHOMA!, FLOWER DRUM SONG, and particularly WONDERFUL TOWN because I had wanted to see them so badly but couldn't make it into NYC for them. I had been wanting to see WONDERFUL TOWN on Broadway ever since I discovered the score in high school back in about 1992.

CABARET--Enough with the stunt casting already.

IN THE HEIGHTS--I really want to see it.

JANE EYRE--amazing.

None.

6. Show I most want to close?

Tie between CHICAGO (be done, already!) and SPRING AWAKENING.

Broadway Mouth: Reviews, Internet Buzz, and How I Wasted $125 (And You Can Too!)

ashley0139
#4re: Closings Poll
Posted: 9/22/08 at 8:22pm

1. Which closing was the hardest for you? RENT and Grey Gardens

2. What show were you secretly glad was closing? I don't think I've ever been glad. There were plenty I didn't mind, though.

3. What show currently on Broadway would you be the most sad if it closed? Gypsy for very specific reasons and [title of show].

4. What closing shows have you attended? Grey Gardens, Company, Curtains

5. How many closings have you cried about? Grey Gardens, RENT

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

KathyGriffinLovesYou Profile Photo
KathyGriffinLovesYou
#5re: Closings Poll
Posted: 9/22/08 at 8:25pm

RENT. i know. i cried myself to sleep for days when i found out and am at the moment wearing my rent shirt every second possible.
GREASE. not the secretly!!
Chicago. Suck it jesus this man is my god now!
none. hopefully xanadu and [title of show].
RENT. [tos]. almost xanadu. acl revival even though it was icky.

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#6re: Closings Poll
Posted: 9/22/08 at 8:25pm

The revival of Les Miserables. I had just gotten into the musical about two weeks before I learned that it was closing, and I knew that I would never be able to make it up to Broadway to see it.

RENT. I've never seen it, and all of my friends talk constantly about it. I don't like or dislike RENT, but I was just rather tired of the whole thing.

Definitely Spamalot. The world is full of Monty Python fans who haven't seen it yet. Honestly, though, I'd be very disappointed if Hairspray closed, because I desperately want Michael Ball to come over to Broadway and play the role of Edna when he's through with his West End run. I'm a massive fan of his and have always wanted to meet him, so that's a bit of a dream of mine.

None. Well, I've never attended a closing performance (on Broadway, that is. Plenty of regional shows and tours, though.)

Beauty and the Beast and Les Miserables. "Beauty and the Beast" was another show that I'd always wanted to see and never ended up seeing, and then it was too late. I guess I took it as a constant. I didn't see any Disney films until eighth grade (just never got around to it), but I knew all of the songs from "Beauty and the Beast" since infancy.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

defyinggravity42694 Profile Photo
defyinggravity42694
#7re: Closings Poll
Posted: 9/22/08 at 9:11pm

Beauty and The Beast

RENT, I saw it with a horrible cast, although I'm excited for the movie (because of Eden and Tracie) my experience just totally ruined the show for me.

WICKED, but I know it isn't going anywhere.

None, yet, I'm going to the closing night of XANADU and [title of show]. I saw Beauty and The Beast a week before it closed.

1, Beauty and The Beast.

Goodbye

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#8re: Closings Poll
Posted: 9/22/08 at 9:20pm

Probably Beauty and the Beast, I dont even know why.

2. What show were you secretly glad was closing? title of show

3. What show currently on Broadway would you be the most sad if it closed? Xanadu, Im in denial it is closing.

4. What closing shows have you attended? Cry-Baby

5. How many closings have you cried about? Rent, I listened to the cast recording closing night and i began to cry. I thought the show was overrated too.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#9re: Closings Poll
Posted: 9/22/08 at 9:20pm

Beauty and The Beast, Jekyll & HYDE, Woman in White (All closed for pretty much stupid reasons)

Rent. Honestly...I don't know why. I never liked the show at all? They also stole some stupid things from J&H marketing/what not wise. Not a lot LOL, but granite..The RENTHeads .. Jekkies came way before! Will be for 13 Sorry!!!!

A Tale of Two Cities, a little bit for Legally Blonde (HAhaa Two COMPLETE opposites).

The Scarlet Pimpernel: SP2. Or it was the night before? Either way it was like closing night!

LOL I haven't really ever cried over a closing? Upset over: Beauty obviously, I think a lot of people were. The Scarlet Pimpernel 3.0!, when I found out it WASN'T ever coming back again! And Woman in White. I would have loved to see Judy Kuhn as Marian!!

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#10re: Closings Poll
Posted: 9/22/08 at 9:24pm

Grey Gardens
Never would I be glad a show was closing.
In The Heights
Dance of the Vampires, Lestat (coincidentally, as tickets were purchased many months in advance)
None
Updated On: 9/22/08 at 09:24 PM

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#11re: Closings Poll
Posted: 9/22/08 at 9:31pm

1. Which closing was the hardest for you? LES MIZ

2. What show were you secretly glad was closing? CURTAINS because no one could have taken over for DHP

3. What show currently on Broadway would you be the most sad if it closed? PHANTOM

4. What closing shows have you attended? Only one closing night: LES MIZ

5. How many closings have you cried about? 3: LES MIZ, MISS SAIGON and DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#12re: Closings Poll
Posted: 9/22/08 at 11:24pm

1. The Pillowman

2. [title of show]...I know, I know

3. A Tale of Two Cities

4. none (but I went to the second-to-last performance of Cry-Baby)

5. Rent

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

obsessedjb Profile Photo
obsessedjb
#13re: Closings Poll
Posted: 9/22/08 at 11:40pm

1. Which closing was the hardest for you? XANADU

2. What show were you secretly glad was closing? [title of show] and RENT--though I do feel badly for everyone involved

3. What show currently on Broadway would you be the most sad if it closed? JERSEY BOYS

4. What closing shows have you attended? A CHORUS LINE, COMPANY, CURTAINS, A CATERED AFFAIR

5. How many closings have you cried about? XANADU

sroderick2
#14re: Closings Poll
Posted: 9/23/08 at 1:24am

RENT, just because it was THE show that got me into theatre. PASSING STRANGE was a show I'd been DYING to see and I was so scared it would close before my trip...naturally, the fates were against me on that one.
ETA: also the COMPANY revival! I found out it was closing before I saw it, which happened to be closing weekend. By intermission, I could not believe such a beautiful thing would be gone the next day.

A CHORUS LINE revival *ducks rotten tomatoes*. No offense or disrespect to any of its fans, but I did not enjoy it very much, nor could I connect with the characters; it doesn't always work to be a carbon copy of the original. Plus, that's what you get for stunt casting with a mediocre quasi-celebrity!

[title of show] and IN THE HEIGHTS. Original stories win, and they especially win if they use styles of music not often heard in Broadway houses. I really connected with both of these shows.

None so far.

RENT, but then again that's what happens when you get the urge to play Stevie Wonder's "Seasons of Love" right after hearing the news.
Updated On: 9/23/08 at 01:24 AM

Parks
#15re: Closings Poll
Posted: 9/23/08 at 1:35am

Xanadu. Easily.

I'll be secretly kind of happy when Spring Awakening closes...

I haven't seen many shows currently on Broadway... I know this is lame, but Legally Blonde is a lot of fun. I'd be sad to see that go.

I have tickets for Xanadu and tos's closing shows. VERY excited/sad for Xanadu.

I teared up because of Xanadu when I listened to the cast recording the other day... I love the show so much. It's so much fun and so perfect. The cast, the music, the book, the set--everything. It's been my baby since I saw it for the first time in February re: Closings Poll.

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

mbjts
#16re: Closings Poll
Posted: 9/23/08 at 2:53am

I no longer live near Broadway, so my list is a bit "dated".

1. Which closing(s) was the hardest for you?
"Broken Glass"; "Stones in His Pockets"; "Someone to Watch Over Me"; "Kiss of the Spider Woman"; "Ragtime"; "Jelly's Last Jam"; "Ghetto" (I could go on and on!!)

I'm not happy with any show closing. A dark theatre is a sad sight.

"Phantom"

SEE ANSWER ONE. "Broken Glass" was particularly difficult. The cast all cried on stage during their curtain call. Arthur Miller was annoyed that it had to close so soon, especially since it was a hit in London. For me, the show marked the final Broadway appearance of David Dukes, who passed away before his promised return to the Broadway stage.

"Broken Glass"; "Kiss of the Spider Woman" and "Stones in His Pockets".

cheapcoloredlights3
#17re: Closings Poll
Posted: 9/23/08 at 12:27pm

1. Which closing(s) was the hardest for you?
RENT, no question!
I'm not happy with any show closing. re: Closings Poll

3. What show currently on Broadway would you be the most sad if it closed? In The heights and Spring Awakening.

None.

RENT. I cried and cried for days!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#18re: Closings Poll
Posted: 9/23/08 at 1:16pm

1. Caroline or Change. I saw it in the Spring and planned to see it again in the fall when I was there but it closed.

4. None on Broadway. I did see the final performance of Disney's "On the Record" in Denver.

Just give the world Love.

LeaGirl Profile Photo
LeaGirl
#19re: Closings Poll
Posted: 9/23/08 at 1:18pm

I took Les Miserables pretty hard. The original one, I didn't care two cents for that revival thing that showed up at the Broadhurst later.

And I took Side Show closing extremely personally, At the time I'd never seen something like that happen to a show before. Also the efforts of the cast at the tkts booth - I can't even THINK about that mental picture without tearing up. I was naive, lacked internet, and was 17. I wouldn't be so shocked now I suppose.

I wasn't sorry to see Cats go, not going to lie.

Um. I'm not really attached to anything. I'd be sad about Phantom for nostalgic purposes, because as long as I can remember its been there and it makes me feel like a little girl just to see the theater. Really, nothing though.

It's a random mix since I often avoid closings.. but.. Little Women, King David (does that count? ha), Wedding Singer, Next to Normal, Gypsy at City Center, and Tell Me On a Sunday in DC. So basically not a lot. Eh.

I cry AT shows all the time so that doesn't count (I cried at Little Women's closing show because the cast was crying, I hadn't even seen it on broadway before), but specifically about a show closing... I remember where I was when I found out Les Mis was closing, I was at home visiting from college and I remember my mom telling me and telling me the date and I sat down on the stairs and cried. And then was really surprised that I had that reaction. I was in grad school it wasn't like I was 12.

I cried about Side Show too - I remember leaving the show (not the closing show, it was a Thursday night show in December) and walking back to my room, climbing in bed, pulling the covers over my head and just CRYING because I didn't understand what was happening to the show.

Other than that, I usually don't get too wound up about it. I'm sad when shows I love close, sure, but its just sort of the way things go.

Now what would you say if today I started over? Without a thing but this taped together four leaf clover And I'll pretend like everything is already alright And I'll run toward the sun till the castle's out of sight

viola13
#20re: Closings Poll
Posted: 9/23/08 at 1:32pm

1. Rent
2. Wasn't devestated about Curtains.
3. Gypsy, [tos]
4. Rent, Hair, Company, Drowsy Chaperone, Next to Normal, Spelling Bee, have a ticket for [tos]
5. Rent...and I never cry, especially at shows. But there I was, sobbing during, of all things, the curtain call.

Marissa2 Profile Photo
Marissa2
#21re: Closings Poll
Posted: 9/23/08 at 1:38pm

Rent, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Beauty and the Beast

Les Mis.

Hairspray, [title of show], In The Heights, Spring Awakening

Rent

Just 1, Rent.

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#22re: Closings Poll
Posted: 9/23/08 at 1:40pm

Xanadu closes this Sunday. Lots of tears i guess in the next 5 days!

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#23re: Closings Poll
Posted: 9/23/08 at 1:40pm

Phantom in San Francisco

I'm really not sure... I can't even say Lestat.

I'm not that attached to anything.

Phantom in San Francisco, Benny tour of Rent in San Francisco, Les Miz tour in St. Louis

None

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Videos