pixeltracker

Did anyone else despise BILLY ELLIOT?

Did anyone else despise BILLY ELLIOT?

MiracleElixir Profile Photo
MiracleElixir
#1Did anyone else despise BILLY ELLIOT?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 2:39am

From Brantley's UK Review: "Speculation has it that with its thick regional accents, local slang and period political references, "Billy Elliot" may be too British for Broadway. A more alarming thought is that while this show forges a visceral connection with its audience in a way American musicals were once famous for, "Billy Elliot" may simply be too full of real feeling for the synthetic Broadway of today"

I'm very curious to hear what Brantley thinks of the Broadway production, since "synthetic" and "phony" were the two chief adjectives that came to mind during my two hours and fifty-five minutes (!) inside the Imperial tonight.

I can't tell you how disappointing and off-putting I found this production, or at least the performance I saw tonight (Wed 10/29). I adore the movie, and I've had the London Cast Recording on my iPod for about 2 years now. I know the music, I (mostly) love it, and I've been really excited for the show to come to Broadway.

What the hell happened?

I don't know what changes were made since the run in the UK, or if this production is identical, but it all felt very "American-ized," as in dumber, broader, with more obvious/pat emotions, and seemingly as a result of trying to make it all more palatable for as large an audience as possible. The more abstract interesting touches (the integration of the officers, protesters and ballerinas during "Solidarity") clash wildly with the tone-deaf comedy (the auditioner woman at the Ballet school), and it seems all poignance has been bled out of the film in favor of sentimentality and "crowd-pleasing."

Even the cast recording of "Expressing Yourself" is a fun song with a nice message, but in the monstrosity I saw tonight, Billy's gay friend Michael exists purely to be laughed at, and jaw-dropping stereotypical camp expressions fly out of his mouth every few seconds (I cringed at each kitty-cat noise he made and "Sing it, sister!"). And let's not even talk about the monstrously creepy "Beauty and the Beast"-esque giant clothes dancing...

Not to keep comparing to the film, since my problems would be the same whether a film existed or not, but just as a jumping off point: in the movie, Billy's letter from mum is all the more moving due to the fact that we don't see the mother and all these emotions are based on the boy's memory of a woman he barely knew. Here we get an actress on stage playing mum to sing to Billy and hug him when we need the audience to have a schmaltzy, tear-jerking moment. And then we have a never-ending oh-so-adorable curtain call with the entire cast dancing in tutus, as I look in disbelief at the audience members around me, who are actually getting off on the shameless pandering being done to them.

And I couldn't, for the life of me, understand the thought process (and implications) behind the decision to close the show with that Billy/Michael moment -- are we meant to infer something about Billy from it? Because if not, and it's just supposed to be an understated, moving moment -- as it is in the movie -- it doesn't work, since that friendship isn't developed at all in the show. Also, there's no overt discussion of homosexuality (i.e.: Michael is, Billy isn't) to lend that moment any poignance, or underscore the depth of Billy's platonic affection for Michael. I couldn't help wondering why the scene in the middle of Act II of young Billy and grown Billy ballet-dancing together wasn't used as the Finale. That might have closed the show on a note of warmth, artistry, emotion and visual beauty.

But no, instead we get the goofy visual gag of the whole cast wearing pink tutus. After all, why go for "resonant" when you can deliver cheap uplift and easy laughs?

I'm sure I'll be ripped to shreds on here, since I've heard nothing but positive things about the show from everyone, but I just wanted to see if ANYONE else felt similarly. It's not as if the movie "Billy Elliot" was a transcendant piece of independent cinema -- it's a fairly mainstream crowdpleaser -- but it was filled with emotionally true moments of beauty and subtlety, while I found the show garish, disappointing and lowest-common-denominator. Maybe I'm just turning into a cynic, but I've been left unfulfilled by almost every show so far this season (save THE SEAGULL, SPEED-THE-PLOW and [title of show]). Updated On: 10/30/08 at 02:39 AM

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#2re: Did anyone else despise BILLY ELLIOT?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 3:31am

Don't be ashamed to have a dissenting opinion when you actually have something to back it up with.

But I disagree with, like, everything you said. re: Did anyone else despise BILLY ELLIOT?

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#2re: Did anyone else despise BILLY ELLIOT?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 7:23am

it seems all poignance has been bled out of the film in favor of sentimentality and "crowd-pleasing."

This. So this. It's taken me a while to learn to appreciate the musical of 'Billy Elliot' as a separate entity from the film, and now I love it on a theoretical level, but you're absolutely right - where the film was subtle and beautiful, the musical clangs you over the head at every turn. "Despise" is a very strong word, but before I learned to love the musical for what it is, I was certainly very disappointed with it.

broadwaytourist
#3re: Did anyone else despise BILLY ELLIOT?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 7:25am

You express yourself well and most musicals have their critics, but what were your thoughts of the young "Billys." Do you fault their performances? After all, isn't this Billy's story? I don't think that it was meant to be the story of the strike. It adds ambience, but the focus is the relationship of father/son and art. That relationship speaks to all of us who have chosen a path unpopular with our families or peers.

TxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
#4re: Did anyone else despise BILLY ELLIOT?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 7:29am

didn't "despise" but after the London build-up and the wait, was definitely underwhelmed. That score is particularly lackluster, except for Leah Hocking's song.

Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."

Dancin Thru Life Profile Photo
Dancin Thru Life
#5re: Did anyone else despise BILLY ELLIOT?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 8:48am

Does anyobody really still use the word "despise" to express their feelings for anything anymore?

Did you REALLY regard the show with contempt, distaste, disgust, or disdain? Scorn it? Loathe it?

Seems a little strong. After all, you DO love the music.

Maybe "disappointed" would better describe the feeling?

In any event, thanks for sharing what is certainly a minority opinion on the boards. Always nice to see both sides!

"To love another person is to see the face of God!"

kooky
#6re: Did anyone else despise BILLY ELLIOT?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 8:55am

I just loved this show when I saw it in London - - - I can't wait to see it on Broadway
again. I was not disappointed in the least!

I even smell a TONY !

MamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
#7re: Did anyone else despise BILLY ELLIOT?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 8:59am

What an awful word to use 'despise'!!!

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#8re: Did anyone else despise BILLY ELLIOT?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 9:09am

"Despise" is an unneccesarily harsh word.

If you admit that you "...know the music, I (mostly) love it," then you certainly did/do NOT "despise" the show as the music is a major if not THE biggest part of it.

I respect your opinion, but I do not agree with it.

I hope that in the future you'll choose kinder, more appropriate word(s)- even if you "despise" a show- when you share a review.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS
Updated On: 10/30/08 at 09:09 AM

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#9re: Did anyone else despise BILLY ELLIOT?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 9:12am

I, for one, thought BILLY ELLIOT was the best new musical to hit Broadway since and possibly even before SPRING AWAKENING.

It, still, isn't without its flaws. EXPRESSING YOURSELF is fun if a bit too campy and the dancing dresses were over-the-top and not in a good way and I would not mind if they got cut. It was just kinda an awkward moment with some people laughing and others not really sure how to react. Defense of Michael is a bit pointless as he is stereotypical and less-developed than the film version but the boys playing him are great.

And I have to defend the end of the show. The moment is completely beautiful, haunting, and smart.

For starters, the music that underscores that last scene is breathtaking and the moments speaks volumes. It's Billy saying a final goodbye to his working class life and to the stereotypes that he was pinned to in his town (that all boy dancers were gay). It's also touching because it's the only moment in the show where we see Michael as more than a caricature. He's someone who is trying to find himself and at the same time someone who just wants to be loved and accepted and we see Billy truly love and accept him regardless of what others may think of him hanging around with Michael.

And on top of that, it's a less "hitting you over the head" message about going out into the world and fighting for your dreams. I think if the SWAN LAKE sequence was placed at the end of the show it would seem cheesy. The SWAN LAKE number is perfect where it is.

And I love the "encore/finale" dance number. It's just so entertaining and I don't think it's cheap at all.

But that's just me.
Updated On: 10/30/08 at 09:12 AM

MamasDoin'Fine
#10re: Did anyone else despise BILLY ELLIOT?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 9:19am

Despise.
'to regard with contempt, distaste, disgust, scorn, loath.
to look down upon'

JeaniusIsMe Profile Photo
JeaniusIsMe
#11re: Did anyone else despise BILLY ELLIOT?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 9:21am

Really well artictulated opinion. Now, it's been two years since I saw the show in London, but I distinctly remember walking out of the theatre impressed with the talent of the kids I'd seen, but certainly not moved to tears or particularly touched by the musical at all. I didn't find many of the songs memorable and thought it was a nice show, but certainly not worthy of all the acclaim and buzz. Certainly didn't despise the show, but I didn't think it was worth as much as I paid to see it. However, I'll be heading to the the new Broadway show- with all these positive reviews I can't help but think I missed something about the show. But I definitely remember being underwhelmed after seeing it.

MiracleElixir Profile Photo
MiracleElixir
#12re: Did anyone else despise BILLY ELLIOT?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 9:51am

In regards to my using the word 'despise': well, no, I don't think the show is an out-and-out piece of crap. Obviously, there are elements that I thought were good, for instance, most of the songs on their own (i.e. on the cast recording), and most of the performances in the show. But even these songs, in the context of seeing the live production, seemed sapped of what I thought I liked about them -- I even thought "Grandma's Song" fell flat.

My using the word "despise" was referring to my visceral reaction to the show as a whole, and yes, I really did feel off-put and occasionally disgusted by what I was seeing, so I don't think the word is inappropriate; "to regard with contempt, distaste, disgust" kind of hits the nail on the head actually. I don't think it's an abysmal show on a technical level, nor do I chagrin those who like it, I just, personally, was horrified.

boonanas
#13re: Did anyone else despise BILLY ELLIOT?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 9:58am

I saw the kids dancing on one of those morning shows and I can't imagine ever liking this.

ashley0139
#14re: Did anyone else despise BILLY ELLIOT?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 10:03am

I saw the show for the first time tonight as well and was blown away. The only two problems I had with the show you expressed in your post - the Expressing Yourself dancing dresses and the completely drawn out and unnecessary curtain call. Overall though, I was absolutely enchanted by the production.

Also, there's no overt discussion of homosexuality (i.e.: Michael is, Billy isn't) to lend that moment any poignance, or underscore the depth of Billy's platonic affection for Michael.

I disagree. They have a whole conversation about it where they establish that Michael is and Billy isn't ("You aren't going to tell anyone are you?"). Maybe not the perfect note to end the show on, but poignant none the less.

I have no problem with dissenting opinions, and yours was very well expressed. I think most of us just happen to disagree. re: Did anyone else despise BILLY ELLIOT?

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

MamasDoin'Fine
#15re: Did anyone else despise BILLY ELLIOT?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 10:08am

You seem to be contradicting yourself in one minute hating the whole experience and then going into detail of what you liked, didn't like and what you thought was OK. We are all still wondering why you use such a word as despise when from what your saying now is that basically you had a dislike to the performance!

Salene Profile Photo
Salene
#16re: Did anyone else despise BILLY ELLIOT?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 10:51am

all these emotions are based on the boy's memory of a woman he barely knew.

Barely knew? It's always been my interpretation that she died fairly recently, so of course he would remember her well.

RentBoy86
#17re: Did anyone else despise BILLY ELLIOT?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 10:54am

I think we can all agree that the set is beautiful in its ugliness.

And this show totally kicks "Spring Awakening" in the a$$ - it's got a great story and interesting book, which is hard for most musicals to accomplish.

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#18re: Did anyone else despise BILLY ELLIOT?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 11:02am

As others have said - you're certainly as entitled to your opinion as anyone else here, I just don't happen to agree with you. I will admit that the dresses didn't feel like they belonged in this show. (In fact, it made me feel like I was seeing a cut scene from Fantasia!) But the rest of the show felt like perfection. I thought the ending was an absolutely wonderful way to end the show. I'd heard that a lot of people were confused because they didn't have a way of applauding individual members of the cast at the end. Once I saw it I didn't know what they were talking about because the cast members were coming out for that ending individually or in pairs. The play itself was very dark and this was a wonderful way to lighten it up and let everyone leave on a happy note. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

The individual leads were all wonderful - and I give special kudos to Greg Jbara and Carole Shelley. I would like to have seen them each get a second number. (LOL - ok, it wasn't quite perfect! LOL)

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

Insider2 Profile Photo
Insider2
#19re: Did anyone else despise BILLY ELLIOT?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 11:48am

I wouldn't go so far as to say I despised it, but I was totally disappointed. I went in having been told by about six people who I respect that this is the "best musical they had ever seen in their lives", and of course, there was all the buzz/reviews/awards from London, etc. And the wonderful source material. And Elton John. How could it go wrong? Suffice to say my expectations were through the roof, and I'm not sure anything could have lived up to what I was expecting......but I found the entire show so totally bland and lackluster, with unmemorable, snooze-worthy songs and an eyesore of a set. While the performances and choreography are outstanding, that is about the only good comment I can make about Billy Elliot. It is one of the great disappointments I've had in the theatre in my lifetime. This Emperor has no clothes.

Updated On: 10/30/08 at 11:48 AM

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#20re: Did anyone else despise BILLY ELLIOT?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 11:49am

Well, I'll let you all know Saturday after seeing a preview performance.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#21re: Did anyone else despise BILLY ELLIOT?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 1:26pm

While I haven't seen the Broadway production yet, when I saw the show in London earlier this year, it completely exceeded my expectations, which were solely based on the cast recording. After seeing The Producers and Spring Awakening, I have learned never to use buzz as a litmus test for my enjoyment of a show, since I didn't enjoy them at all and found both to be highly overrated.

I loved the show in London and loved the curtain call. It was well-choreographed and performed. I'm not sure why it's so much worse than actors walking on stage and taking a bow while the orchestra plays peppy underscoring, but to each their own.

I'm sure I'll be ripped to shreds on here, since I've heard nothing but positive things about the show from everyone, but I just wanted to see if ANYONE else felt similarly.

There are many posts from those who feel similarly. Even other threads created just like this one by someone who was disappointed in the show. There is not one show in the world that everyone loves.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#22re: Did anyone else despise BILLY ELLIOT?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 3:11pm

I caught the show during yesterday's matinee. My guest was very much excited to be seeing the show (she's an avid fan of the score - having downloaded the OLCR and all) and she'd seen the movie, etc., etc. For me? I had seen bits and pieces of the 2000 film ages ago, and enjoying it (from what I remember). The show, for me, was VERY GOOD. I wasn't confuzzled, or bothered, or bored at all. 3 hours of energy, that's for sure. Is it my favorite show in the history of my theatergoing? Hardly. Was it a solid, enjoyable piece? Yes. Would I see it again? Probably not. Was it worth the price of admission? Yes. I'm torn, really. I'm not sure how to feel about this piece. I feel that I'm doing Broadway in an injustice by not raving about this show. I was moved by it, but y'know, I just ... I don't know. It just 'was' for me. If that makes sense.

PiraguaGuy2
#23re: Did anyone else despise BILLY ELLIOT?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 3:14pm

I just find it so funny how half this board bitches night and day about movie-to-musical transfers, but is ready to kiss Billy Elliot's ass any time.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

ashley0139
#24re: Did anyone else despise BILLY ELLIOT?
Posted: 10/30/08 at 3:55pm

Maybe that's because it's GOOD one.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

Videos