Avenue Q Closing?

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#25re: Avenue Q Closing?
Posted: 11/4/08 at 11:02pm

EXCUSE ME. I spoke to one of the writers of the show and there are no plans of the show closing.

NO MORE NEGATIVE THREADS. Really, the show is wonderful. Go and see it. If you say anything bad about my favorite show it will suck to be you.

I am serious! It is my favorite Broadway musical.

MamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
#26re: Avenue Q Closing?
Posted: 11/4/08 at 11:08pm

The London production is closing next March but the public will know nothing of it until just after Christmas so maybe the closure of Broadway is planned also.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#27re: Avenue Q Closing?
Posted: 11/4/08 at 11:15pm

I don't think posting a strong rumor is being negative. I adore Avenue Q but all things must come to an end at some time.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#28re: Avenue Q Closing?
Posted: 11/4/08 at 11:39pm

Why get offended that people are speculating the possible closing of a show? How does that affect YOU in any way?

While I have no idea when it will post it's closing, I highly suspect that it will not fare the winter. That doesn't mean I WISH it to close, just that I think it will. It is not making enough money to stay open.

And unless one of the writers is also a producer....s/he has NOTHING to do with the decision making.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#29re: Avenue Q Closing?
Posted: 11/4/08 at 11:46pm

How will it hurt me? It is not about me. It is about the loss of jobs. It is about the great material.

Why would anyone want a show to close (ESPECIALLY A GREAT ONE!)
is beyond me.

I love the show and don't want to see actors and stagehands out of work. Plus, I want to see it again. I love it!

Avenue Q is adorable. It is my favorite show currently running on Broadway. My favorite off broadway show (Forbidden Broadway) is closing after 27 wonderful years and it upsets me to see such talented people out of work.

Bwayidiot
#30re: Avenue Q Closing?
Posted: 11/4/08 at 11:48pm

According to Telecharge tickets are available at least through Jan. 2.

dramamama611
#31re: Avenue Q Closing?
Posted: 11/5/08 at 12:10am

Who is saying they WANT it to close? Just that we highly suspect it will. Actors are out of work all the time: it is part of the nature of show business. There will be other jobs and other shows.

Every argument you have is all about YOU. It shouldn't close because YOU love it. It shouldn't close because it's YOUR favorite.

They will close it because it isn't making enough or any money any longer. Pure and simple. They will not keep it open just to keep actors working. It's not a soup kitchen.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

exedore
#32re: Avenue Q Closing?
Posted: 11/5/08 at 7:10am

"The London production is closing next March but the public will know nothing of it until just after Christmas"

When I walked past the Noel Coward on Monday they had one of the hanger things announcing the closing date. I suspect they're going to try and pack 'em in before announcing a tour at the closing performance.

Broadwaynerd101
#33re: Avenue Q Closing?
Posted: 11/5/08 at 4:17pm

You gotta remember, this show has had a 5 year run and all the new yorkers who wanted to see it saw it when it opened. Some went back a few more times. Avenue Q isn't on tourists top priority list. I love the show and It's great that it got to run this far (and beat wicked for the tony).

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#34re: Avenue Q Closing?
Posted: 11/5/08 at 4:53pm

Isn't their weekly nut around $250,000? If so, they've only gone below that 5 times so far this year.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#35re: Avenue Q Closing?
Posted: 11/5/08 at 5:53pm

The London production is closing next March but the public will know nothing of it until just after Christmas so maybe the closure of Broadway is planned also.

Uhh, it was announced everywhere a while ago!

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Nothinlikeadame
#36re: Avenue Q Closing?
Posted: 11/29/08 at 2:21am

Avenue Q is NOT closing. That article with Harvey Fierstein in the Observer quoting as much; he is flat out wrong. ATC mainly consists of wanna be actors who either can't get work, or are stuck in Buffalo making up rumors because they can't leave. Don't believe anything you read on these stupid chat boards until you see an official press release on Playbill or Broadwayworld.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#37re: Avenue Q Closing?
Posted: 11/29/08 at 2:26am

http://talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat/d.php?id=1655179

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

RentBoy86
#38re: Avenue Q Closing?
Posted: 11/29/08 at 2:46am

Well there's an audition coming up for replacements, so I'd imagine that they wouldn't be too concerned w/ auditions if they were indeed closing.

PiraguaGuy2
#39re: Avenue Q Closing?
Posted: 11/29/08 at 7:37am

I personally never understood why ATC is so much more high-profile than us. The mentions in Forbidden Broadway, [title of show]...posts are much less frequent there and most threads are pretty boring. Here, there's never any shortage of bitchiness or silly rumors. We're so much more extreme!

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

dramamama611
#40re: Avenue Q Closing?
Posted: 11/29/08 at 9:59am

Isn't it an Equity requirement that auditions for replacements happen automatically...even though they might not have anyone to replace?

I'm sure someone would correct me if I'm wrong.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#41re: Avenue Q Closing?
Posted: 11/29/08 at 11:43am

I'm hearing AVENUE Q is definitely next on the chopping block.

PiraguaGuy2
#42re: Avenue Q Closing?
Posted: 11/29/08 at 11:44am

From whom?

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#43re: Avenue Q Closing?
Posted: 11/29/08 at 12:21pm

dramamama, I thought that too, that according to Equity, they were required to hold auditions, even if they didn't have any intentions of hiring right away.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

zamedy
#44re: Avenue Q Closing?
Posted: 11/29/08 at 12:22pm

It amazes me how many hollow claims are thrown out on this board.

BTW.. I live in Buffalo and I'm not 'stuck' here. I'm here by choice and I love it. Don't believe everything you hear in A CHORUS LINE.
Updated On: 11/29/08 at 12:22 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#45re: Avenue Q Closing?
Posted: 11/29/08 at 4:35pm

Hmm, I'm intrigued about how the nearly identical (but not nearly as insulting) post that I linked to on ATC has been deleted.

Millie: That is the case. You're right.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt