Guys and Dolls' - Sky casting

BlueRoses321 Profile Photo
BlueRoses321
#1Guys and Dolls' - Sky casting
Posted: 11/18/08 at 1:19am

Who should be playing Sky Masterson? There are so many great people to choose from...

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#2re: Guys and Dolls' - Sky casting
Posted: 11/18/08 at 1:23am

Gary Beach!

BlueRoses321
#2re: Guys and Dolls' - Sky casting
Posted: 11/18/08 at 1:24am

WHAT??!?!

LimelightMike
#3re: Guys and Dolls' - Sky casting
Posted: 11/18/08 at 1:26am

LoL! KIDDING!

Such a toughie to cast outta the blue, without feeling like I've discredited other fine performers. Gimme a few minutes.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#4re: Guys and Dolls' - Sky casting
Posted: 11/18/08 at 1:28am

Umm sorry, but if you know who Gary Beach is and if you have ever even seen a snippet of GUYS & DOLLS or listened to 30 seconds of one of Sky's songs then you'd know how horribly misconceived that piece of casting is.
It'd be like casting Jane Krakowski as Sarah Brown, Donna Murphy as Nathan, and Cheyenne Jackson as Brother Nicely Nicely Johnson.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

LimelightMike
#5re: Guys and Dolls' - Sky casting
Posted: 11/18/08 at 1:31am

CHIIILLL - I was attempting to be funny. Geeeez.

*raises 'sarcasm' sign*

BlueRoses321
#6re: Guys and Dolls' - Sky casting
Posted: 11/18/08 at 1:32am

I'm sure that many would love to see Cheyenne as Sky..but i would really dig seeing Hugh Jackman as Sky..just the physicality of who I think Sky is - perfect for Jackman. I'm sure opinions will be all over the map. I'm just curious.

Also, you know it'll probably be someone considerably huge, given that Oliver Platt and Lauren Graham have already been announced.

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#7re: Guys and Dolls' - Sky casting
Posted: 11/18/08 at 1:33am

Harry Connick Jr. or Brent Barrett (though he probably reads too old).

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#8re: Guys and Dolls' - Sky casting
Posted: 11/18/08 at 1:34am

I still think it might be John Stamos. He keeps mentioning Broadway and he's worked with Des McAnuff before, but I'm sure it's just wishful thinking on my part.

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#9re: Guys and Dolls' - Sky casting
Posted: 11/18/08 at 1:41am

John Stamos' voice is just wrong for the part. Whoever plays Sky should really posses a rich baritone voice. Let me repeat myself... a rich BARITONE voice.

Ole Chum
#10re: Guys and Dolls' - Sky casting
Posted: 11/18/08 at 2:03am

my question is whether they're going to add Sky and Sarah above the marquee, or if they plan on really touting Oliver Platt and Lauren Graham as the two stars... the big ad in the NYtimes this weekend just mentioned the two of them.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#11re: Guys and Dolls' - Sky casting
Posted: 11/18/08 at 2:03am

I've heard Stamos, too.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

thetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
#12re: Guys and Dolls' - Sky casting
Posted: 11/18/08 at 2:46am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXRvMUWtSmE
Nathan Gunn. Gorgeous voice, but can he act?

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#13re: Guys and Dolls' - Sky casting
Posted: 11/18/08 at 3:17am

Not judging from the Camelot broadcast, but then no one was at their best that night.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#14re: Guys and Dolls' - Sky casting
Posted: 11/18/08 at 5:12am

Curious...does anyone know when this goes into rehearsal???

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Hahabimbi Profile Photo
Hahabimbi
#15re: Guys and Dolls' - Sky casting
Posted: 11/18/08 at 5:46am

I read it´s December 15th but I don´t know if it´s valid.

Steffie2 Profile Photo
Steffie2
#16re: Guys and Dolls' - Sky casting
Posted: 11/18/08 at 6:20am

re: Guys and Dolls' - Sky casting

Nathan Gunn has a great voice but comes across very stiff on stage in the operas I've seen him in and in Camelot and at 41 may be a bit too old for the role. The Greek-American opera singer JAMES ANEST would be great as Sky. He sang Luck Be A Lady and I've Never Been in Love Before in recent concerts in Athens and Budapest (he is much better known in Europe and Japan than in his own country) and his rich baritone is perfect for Sky. He is a fine actor who played Emile DeBecque at age 23 in a wonderful production of South Pacific starring opposite Stephanie J. Block and he ain't bad to look at either.

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#17re: Guys and Dolls' - Sky casting
Posted: 11/18/08 at 6:44am

My friend and I are desperate for Norm Lewis as Sky-- we've always loved that idea-- but now he's a lot older than Sky would normally be cast as. But, but, but his voice is absolutely perfect for the part; I couldn't imagine anyone better vocally. If they cast an older Sarah, I could really see it working. (Though Norm Lewis DOES look younger than he is!)

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#18re: Guys and Dolls' - Sky casting
Posted: 11/18/08 at 6:52am

Hasn't Norm Lewis actually been legitimately rumored?

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#19re: Guys and Dolls' - Sky casting
Posted: 11/18/08 at 9:47am

What is a "legitimate rumor" compared to an "illegitimate rumor"?

Aren't all rumors, by definition, illegitimate?

it'sjustshowbiz Profile Photo
it'sjustshowbiz
#20re: Guys and Dolls' - Sky casting
Posted: 11/18/08 at 9:50am

^
It was mentioned on a few boards, but there was nothing to back it up. I did see on one board that someone said it was just a rumor and not true, but who knows?

Does anyone know if Norm Lewis is leaving TLM soon? That could give us a clue.

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#21re: Guys and Dolls' - Sky casting
Posted: 11/18/08 at 12:59pm

The downside with Norm Lewis is that, while he has a beautiful voice, he can't act to save his life.

I'm disappointed that it's looking like Cheyenne Jackson has too many other projects going on to have been cast as Sky. I really wanted to see that happen.

LimelightMike's suggestion of Gary Beach as Sky is ridiculous (and it looks like a joke), but I'd love to see him as Nathan Detroit. That would be excellent casting, IMO.

Dollypop
#22re: Guys and Dolls' - Sky casting
Posted: 11/18/08 at 1:03pm

Ugh! Norm Lewis is like watching a tree grow on stage.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#23re: Guys and Dolls' - Sky casting
Posted: 11/18/08 at 1:22pm

I'd love to see Cheyenne Jackson as Sky, with Anne Hathaway as Sarah.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

hmpeterson Profile Photo
hmpeterson
#24re: Guys and Dolls' - Sky casting
Posted: 11/18/08 at 1:24pm

I would LOVE to see Cheyenne as Sky. I keep seeing people mention Anne Hathaway. I have never heard her sing, does she have a good enough voice?