pixeltracker

HELP - Why do YOU like musicals so much?

HELP - Why do YOU like musicals so much?

mikelg80 Profile Photo
mikelg80
#1HELP - Why do YOU like musicals so much?
Posted: 11/18/08 at 5:54pm

Hello all, I am currently writing a dissertation for a Masters Degree and could really do with some information from the readers of Broadwayworld.com.

If you could please take a moment to tell me why YOU enjoy musicals, what is it that draws YOU to them, what makes them so appealing? (And if you don't like musicals could you tell me what it is YOU don't like about them)

This is personal to you rather than a generalised reason.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated and would help me out SO much.

Thanks

Michael

p.s. Could you please include your gender and age with your response. Thanks again x
Updated On: 11/18/08 at 05:54 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#2re: HELP - Why do YOU like musicals so much?
Posted: 11/18/08 at 6:11pm

They are so "musical"

Seriously, songs sometimes do better telling a story or explaining a character than the written word.

Poster Emeritus

KathyGriffinLovesYou Profile Photo
KathyGriffinLovesYou
#2re: HELP - Why do YOU like musicals so much?
Posted: 11/18/08 at 6:14pm

Because I love The glitter, character shoes, dance breaks, charlstons, vibrato, Sondheim, NY, the fact that you can turn on a recording of a show and actually understand what they are saying, and it's just a addiction. BWW is a addiction too.
Updated On: 11/18/08 at 06:14 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#3re: HELP - Why do YOU like musicals so much?
Posted: 11/18/08 at 6:15pm

It is also amazing that , done correctly, you can musicalize almost anything.

Poster Emeritus

KathyGriffinLovesYou
#4re: HELP - Why do YOU like musicals so much?
Posted: 11/18/08 at 6:21pm

Legally Blonde: The Musical.

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#5re: HELP - Why do YOU like musicals so much?
Posted: 11/18/08 at 6:26pm

I love musicals because:
1) It happens to be the music I find most appealing. I tend to like even genres of music I don't usually like (re: country, rap) if it's done within the context of a show. I also do enjoy actually hearing lyrics set to an exciting, pretty, or dramatic melody.

2)In the theater, I think nothing expresses emotion quite like a song. That chill that all musical theater fans know and love- it is MUCH harder to come by in any other medium, as far as I'm concerned.

3)Musical theater lyrics can be as beautiful as poetry.

4)Musicals are just entertaining

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#6re: HELP - Why do YOU like musicals so much?
Posted: 11/18/08 at 6:30pm

Because I don't like "real music."

I don't much care for rock, rap, pop, classical, country, jazz, or anything else you can name. Musicals are the only thing left. I didn't realize that until I was about ten; before that, I just thought I didn't like music (and my parents are both professional musicians, so that's saying something).

I also like looking at attractive, talented people singing catchy songs and doing engaging choreography.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy
Updated On: 11/18/08 at 06:30 PM

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#7re: HELP - Why do YOU like musicals so much?
Posted: 11/18/08 at 6:31pm

The characters are very relateable in many cases and for me singing is my way of letting off steem and relieving stress. And as of now many of the songs written in the musical theatre universe help me express feelings I otherwise wouldnt maybe be able to say if that makes any sense. I feel strong connections in the lyrics no matter what the actual context of the show may be. I feel like many times there will be lyrics in various musical theatre songs that define me and who I am and what I want from life.

Edit: Male 19 yrs old

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado
Updated On: 11/19/08 at 06:31 PM

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#8re: HELP - Why do YOU like musicals so much?
Posted: 11/18/08 at 6:45pm

I like theatre, I like music, and I'm open to all media of story-telling. If even one of those were different, I'd never see any musicals. But happily, they all apply.

25, female.

Updated On: 11/19/08 at 06:45 PM

KathyGriffinLovesYou
#9re: HELP - Why do YOU like musicals so much?
Posted: 11/18/08 at 6:50pm

I was also born into it. Like 40% of my family are actors.

DefyGravity777
#10re: HELP - Why do YOU like musicals so much?
Posted: 11/18/08 at 6:58pm

Musicals and theatre in general help me escape real life for however long the show lasts.

ETA: 35 yr old female

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!
Updated On: 11/18/08 at 06:58 PM

lull89 Profile Photo
lull89
#11re: HELP - Why do YOU like musicals so much?
Posted: 11/18/08 at 7:10pm

I've always appreciated that musicals combine virtually all of the arts together in one package. It's great to see lots of different talents in different areas all working towards the same goal.

Also, I like that musicals are forced by their length to explore themes and ideas in depth with their music. I always appreciate the depth of the larger picture of a musical, and sometimes have issues with more popular music which is trying to get across an idea, since I feel a single song cannot explore an idea fully or with any real significance. Basically, a musical could provide a lot of examples and make a detailed argument about something like the horrors of war, whereas a single song would be like "Yeah! Killing people sucks! End war forever!" which I feel does not acknowledge the depth or complexity of the issue. Which isn't to say I'm against songs expressing opinions and difficult ideas, god knows it's better than some mindless crap about how great it is to sleep with a million women a day, I just think musicals can be more successful in exploring something more complex and nuanced, and are therefore more interesting and rewarding to listen to.

ETA: Male, 18
Updated On: 11/18/08 at 07:10 PM

Dollypop
#12re: HELP - Why do YOU like musicals so much?
Posted: 11/18/08 at 7:19pm

I spent my teen years living in a home only a few blocks from a summer theater. This was a time before air conditioning. The theater kept its doors open and I had my bedroom window open. I spent many summer nights sitting by that open window listening to FLOWER DRUM SONG, FIORELLO!, BYE BYE BIRDIE and many other shows. It all sort of soaked in.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

mikelg80 Profile Photo
mikelg80
#13re: HELP - Why do YOU like musicals so much?
Posted: 11/18/08 at 7:49pm

These are all great please keep them coming!
Thanks so much.

Also I forgot to add on the original post - could you please let me know your gender and age if you reply.

Thanks

Michael

galadriel_freak
#14re: HELP - Why do YOU like musicals so much?
Posted: 11/18/08 at 7:51pm

Because they're hyper reality. It's the same reason I love science fiction *don't hit me* more then theater (it IS tough call though). It's because you don't break into song in real life (most people), same way I'm not able to travel though time or set flight with aliens.

I live in reality... I go to theater, read books, and watch movies that aren't reality. Fluff musical or dramatic musical... it's another world.

I very much want to break into full blown dance numbers in real life.

chris d
#15re: HELP - Why do YOU like musicals so much?
Posted: 11/18/08 at 7:52pm

I like them because they are like a magical version of life. they take life and focus on the beauty and optimism of it. even when they're tragic, they're still hopeful just by their existence. plus it takes all different aspects (music, story, characters, themes, dance, visuals) and brings them together in a visceral and exciting and LIVE way (when they're good, anyway).

practically_perfect Profile Photo
practically_perfect
#16re: HELP - Why do YOU like musicals so much?
Posted: 11/18/08 at 8:02pm

When you go see a musical - you get caught up in it in a way that you can't in a movie
the actors are there - feeling the emotions
the music is real - you know that what you are hearing is the cast giving it all they have not a computerized synthesized voice
the whole thing is engrossing
and there is a musical for everyone out there, for every point in your life (you love disney shows when youre a kid, RENT or Wicked as a teen..), or emotion you feel.

A Fleur De Toi Profile Photo
A Fleur De Toi
#17re: HELP - Why do YOU like musicals so much?
Posted: 11/18/08 at 8:20pm

because it reminds me what's really important in life.

In Soviet Russia, Wicked hates you too!

Amalia Balash Profile Photo
Amalia Balash
#18re: HELP - Why do YOU like musicals so much?
Posted: 11/18/08 at 8:29pm

Female baby boomer who loves musicals because of the way the music gives insights into who the characters are and what's really important to them. In a well-done musical, a song or a dance to me is like inhaling the characters' emotions.

Radiana
#19re: HELP - Why do YOU like musicals so much?
Posted: 11/18/08 at 8:35pm

I love musicals because there is usually going to be at least one song that will blow you away, where the whole cast is involved. It's almost like the gates of heaven opening up. It's the only place you can experience that.

I may not know a lot about theater but I know that I love it.

elphabelle07 Profile Photo
elphabelle07
#20re: HELP - Why do YOU like musicals so much?
Posted: 11/18/08 at 9:13pm

Musicals can transport you to a completely different place and a completely different time. You become a part of their story and their life and you leave yours behind. They do it in a different way, through song and dance. And on top of that, the singing and music are incredible...beyond what any (for lack of better word) "normal" music can offer, and the dancing is beautiful and different, not to mention a nice break from modern society's view on dance. I love the striking up of the orchestra and the anticipation you get from being a.) a performer waiting to entertain the hundreds (or thousands...haha) of people who want to see you, or b.) being that audience member seeing a live show. The huge dance breaks, the complex plots, the unexpected moments that can only be experienced by seeing or being in a live show. In short...I love everything about it. Always have, always will.

"I'm a bagel on a plate full of onion rolls!"-Funny Girl

mikelg80 Profile Photo
mikelg80
#21re: HELP - Why do YOU like musicals so much?
Posted: 11/20/08 at 8:58pm

Anyone else?

The more the merrier re: HELP - Why do YOU like musicals so much?

Thanks to everyone who has contributed
x

BlueforBroadway Profile Photo
BlueforBroadway
#22re: HELP - Why do YOU like musicals so much?
Posted: 11/20/08 at 9:07pm

I love musicals because I get more into the characters. I get lost into the plot through the music.

I also like to see how the song is weaved into the plot and how it gives an insight into the characters.

Another reason is because I love music and it makes me very happy just to listen.

Jekyll & Hyde back on Broadway! / Rock of Ages - 5 Tony nominations! Awesome!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#23re: HELP - Why do YOU like musicals so much?
Posted: 11/20/08 at 9:12pm

Musicals are heightened reality. The best of them take what is human and true in us all ... and add artistic perception, imagination and insight.

Plus an 11 o'clock number!

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

SweetQintheLights
#24re: HELP - Why do YOU like musicals so much?
Posted: 11/20/08 at 9:12pm

"Musicals and theatre in general help me escape real life for however long the show lasts."

I agree. The world, in general, is in a rush. To take two hours of your life to escape the chaos and bustle of outside life is amazing. There is nothing in the world like sitting and watching a real live show, with real live people, with real live feelings and emotions. Things happen in live theatre, that's the beauty of it. It's not fabricated/prepared like a movie is. You can't "cut"/"go back"/"redo."

Sorry, that wasn't all that articulate.

Female, 24

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178