My thoughts on SPEED-THE-PLOW

Yankeefan007
#1My thoughts on SPEED-THE-PLOW
Posted: 1/2/09 at 4:56pm

The most dynamite performances I've seen in quite a while are on the stage of the Ethel Barrymore Theatre. Raul Esparza and Norbert Leo Butz are blowing the roof off the place in Neil Pepe's first-rate revival of David Mamet's second-rate play SPEED-THE-PLOW.

Esparza is giving what is perhaps the best performance of his career (I'm a fan, but was in the camp that found his work in COMPANY to be one-note). Butz, thrown into the production last week, is giving the second-best performance I've seen from him (his work in FIFTY WORDS is unquestionably his best ever), but even second-rate from Butz is extraordinary.

The fact that they're playing the roles as cokeheads (Esparza more than Butz) adds to the urgency of the piece. Their chemistry and showmanship is palpable and I consider myself lucky to see these two theater stars (they ARE stars) play off one another. It's a real treat and a terrific gift to New York City.

Elizabeth Moss falls into the trappings of a poorly written part. Perhaps she was so underwhelming because of the non-stop kinetic energy of her costars.

All I know, I was exhausted leaving the theater. I can't imagine how they feel.

ETA - I believe this will be my last review for a while, as I embark on a theater-going trip to England for the month of January this weekend. I'll be around periodically; I expect someone to keep me updated on all the theater news that happens while I'm gone; and you can count on commentary on the shows I see when I return in a few weeks. Happy January, all. Updated On: 1/2/09 at 04:56 PM

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#2re: My thoughts on SPEED-THE-PLOW
Posted: 1/2/09 at 6:14pm

Have a great trip Yankee!!!

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

broadwayboy1
#2re: My thoughts on SPEED-THE-PLOW
Posted: 1/2/09 at 6:17pm

Have fun on your trip Yankee!

Yankeefan007
#3re: My thoughts on SPEED-THE-PLOW
Posted: 1/2/09 at 11:31pm

bump

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#4re: My thoughts on SPEED-THE-PLOW
Posted: 1/2/09 at 11:59pm

Thanks for the review, can't wait to see it. But, I have seen Fifty Words and I still think Norbert Leo Butz's performance in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is his best so far.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#5re: My thoughts on SPEED-THE-PLOW
Posted: 1/3/09 at 12:09am

I think you hit the nail on the head about them playing the role as coke heads. It does bring a much great sense of speed and, as you said, urgency to the entirety of what is going on.

And it would be hard to top what he did in 50 Words, but Norbert comes really close as Bobby Gould.

I can only hope that Macy can keep up with Esparza's momentum.

BroadwayBoy2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBoy2
#6re: My thoughts on SPEED-THE-PLOW
Posted: 1/3/09 at 3:44am

You guys are making me so excited! I'm going wednesday, for my birthday.

I'll have them clawing at eachother, like drag queens at a wig sale"

Yankeefan007
#7re: My thoughts on SPEED-THE-PLOW
Posted: 1/3/09 at 7:45am

After seeing the show, I feel that Macy is far too old.

lstbutifulgrl2
#8re: My thoughts on SPEED-THE-PLOW
Posted: 1/3/09 at 9:17am

I have to agree, I love Macy, but am nervous about him stepping into this role.

"Sometimes on the strip, the dreams you come in with, ain't the dreams you leave with" ~Rock of Ages
"I'm a butterfly, trivial and small, and in the greater scheme of things, I don't mean much at all." ~The Story of My Life
"Forget Regret, or life is yours to miss." ~Rent

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#9re: My thoughts on SPEED-THE-PLOW
Posted: 1/3/09 at 9:23am

I think Macy's estra years could bring a different aspect to the character: desperation to finally be "big"; the flattery of the attention from a younger woman...I think these are all things that can DEF work for the character.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#10re: My thoughts on SPEED-THE-PLOW
Posted: 1/3/09 at 9:26am

I think these characters CAN be older (look at the recent British production), but that it works better if they're about the same age. So for me, the issue would be that Macy is so much older than Raul. Not that he's too old for the part. They're almost even more pathetic if they're older. But they're both fine enough actors that I know they will make it work, and I look forward to seeing yet another take on the relationship.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

bob h
#11re: My thoughts on SPEED-THE-PLOW
Posted: 1/3/09 at 10:41am

I had seen the Priven version, and went back to lend moral support on Friday, Jan. 2. Norbert Leo Butz is rapidly coming to own the role of Bobby Gould, with the result that I enjoyed the second performance even more than the first. Raul Esparza's character was wonderfully reptilian.

There were big hugs among the performers at the curtain call, and the audience went wild. Don't miss this play, which is very much back on track.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#12re: My thoughts on SPEED-THE-PLOW
Posted: 1/3/09 at 10:44am

Did anyone see THEATRE TALK last night?
They had two British theatre writers who said this SPEED THE PLOW is vastly inferior to the recent Spacy/Goldblum version, and went as far to say that certain things were actually stolen from that production.
Anyone seen both and can comment on that?

broadwaybaby77 Profile Photo
broadwaybaby77
#13re: My thoughts on SPEED-THE-PLOW
Posted: 1/4/09 at 1:20pm

I saw SPEED-THE-PLOW last night and was pleasantly surprised. Norbert Leo Butz was superb. I could really see the progression of his character throughout the third scene/act. The most impressive part of the show for me was the chemistry between NLB and Raul. As the lights rose after the final blackout, Norbert and Raul were hugging and laughing; you can really tell that they are having the time of their lives working on this piece opposite each other.

I was underwhelmed with Elisabeth Moss. I can't quite put my finger on what it was exactly that I didn't like (whether it was her casting or her portrayal), but the middle scene/act was a bit lackluster.

Overall it was a really great performance and production!

PiraguaGuy2
#14re: My thoughts on SPEED-THE-PLOW
Posted: 1/4/09 at 1:32pm

All this criticism of Moss is a tiny bit unfair, seeing as her character (and most female Mamet characters, come to think of it) is highly underwritten.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

Yankeefan007
#15re: My thoughts on SPEED-THE-PLOW
Posted: 1/4/09 at 1:38pm

Skilled actors can make even the worst parts seem worthwhile.

luvtheEmcee
#16re: My thoughts on SPEED-THE-PLOW
Posted: 1/4/09 at 1:43pm

I like Elisabeth's performance a lot, but I don't think it's completely fair to blame the comparative lackluster nature of hers entirely on her. I really don't like the middle scene. I always get bored. But I don't think that's entirely her fault, at all. It's repetitive, it's too long, it's slow. Especially relative to the first and third, which are the scenes that make the play worth watching.

Yankeefan007
#17re: My thoughts on SPEED-THE-PLOW
Posted: 1/4/09 at 1:49pm

The momentum is lost in the middle 3'rd.

luvtheEmcee
#18re: My thoughts on SPEED-THE-PLOW
Posted: 1/4/09 at 1:50pm

Completely. But if you're implying that it's lost for good, I disagree.

Yankeefan007
#19re: My thoughts on SPEED-THE-PLOW
Posted: 1/4/09 at 1:51pm

Oh, no. It's totally regained in Act 3.

RentBoy86
#20re: My thoughts on SPEED-THE-PLOW
Posted: 1/4/09 at 2:03pm

I guess I'm going back Tuesday to attempt a student rush ticket to see my favorite actor Mr. Butz live again!

luvtheEmcee
#21re: My thoughts on SPEED-THE-PLOW
Posted: 1/4/09 at 2:13pm

I really, really wish he were staying longer. I'm going to catch him once more this week, because even though I'm going in excess, I know seeing he and Raul together is an opportunity I may never get again.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#22re: My thoughts on SPEED-THE-PLOW
Posted: 1/4/09 at 3:13pm

JEALOUS. JEALOUS. JEALOUS. Is all I can say of anyone getting to see what must be the wonderment of Butz and Esparza together! I am HEARTBROKEN that I can't see them.

Someone talk me out of seeing either Becky Shaw or The American Plan, next weekend! Please????? (I am sort of jesting, sort of not.) Mind you, I did see this WITH Pivens.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#23re: My thoughts on SPEED-THE-PLOW
Posted: 1/4/09 at 5:10pm

Did they change the cover art on the PLAYZBILL in conjunction with Norbs joining the cast? Just curious.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#24re: My thoughts on SPEED-THE-PLOW
Posted: 1/4/09 at 5:32pm

When I went last Friday night it still had Piven on the cover, but now it is just the show's logo.

Videos