yankee_fan907 Profile Photo
yankee_fan907
#1GYPSY Review
Posted: 1/7/09 at 5:03pm

GYPSY
St. James Theatre
Sunday, January 4th, 2009
3:00 PM

SEATING: I was so happy that I finally got to see this show in the week before its scheduled closing! My friend and I went to the theatre at 10:30 to wait for student rush, and we were towards the front of the line. There were only ten to fifteen people in front of us at maximum. We ended up in the second row of the right box – a great deal for $27.

TECH: I was very excited to hear the orchestra, though I was just the slightest bit upset that I could not see the brass section or conductor from my seat. Also, I was shocked that I could see off into the stage right wing almost completely. At the beginning of the show, I could see cast members waiting for their initial entrances. This is one of my biggest pet peeves about high school theatre, and I was expecting that the sight lines would not be a problem in a professional production. Throughout the show, it continued. I was able to see both Baby June and Dainty June at the same time during that blinding transition, which ruined the effect for me. I could also see a bunch of the props set-up in the wings. In general, I was surprised at how much of the technical aspect of the show you can see from sitting in the boxes. Additonally, I thought it was strange that the set was moved by the cast at many spots. I don’t know if there was a reason they chose not to automate it as is the standard nowadays. Finally, having those two crew members come out at intermission was completely unnecessary. That could have waited until after the show. Despite all of this, the lighting and costuming was fantastic, and there was only one minor sound glitch that I noticed (when one young boy’s mic was not nearly loud enough and the volume suddenly increased to the proper level towards the end of his line). Overall, these slight technical issues did not significantly bring down the quality of the show, and they would be my only complaint about the show.

CAST:
Patti LuPone is no doubt one of the most talented singers/actresses on Broadway right now. She received HUGE entrance applause, which I did not understand immediately because I couldn’t see her from where I was until she was climbing onto the stage. At some points, she seemed oddly flat, which may have been because she was holding back. I’m not quite sure. However, her “Everything’s Coming Up Roses” and “Rose’s Turn” were phenomenal, just as I had expected. At the stage door, she was very nice to me and my friend who were up against the barricade. With people practically throwing things at her to sign, however, she got annoyed fairly quickly. Her son was there, carrying her bags for her. I can't believe she drives home to Connecticut after every performance.

Laura Benanti is exceptional, though I feel that Little Lamb is a useless and horribly awkward part of the score. I also feel that in the writing of the show, her character arc isn’t really an arc, but more of just an abrupt change that suddenly happens during “The Strip.” I was upset that she did not come out of the stage door, so I could not get her signature. But she was supposedly sick, so that is understandable. (She did cough at one point while she was watching Tony in "All I Need is the Girl".)

Boyd Gaines is decent. I don’t see why people are so ecstatic over his performance. He did his job, and that’s that. He did not come out of the stage door afterwards.

Leigh Ann Larkin’s “If Mama Was Married” was one of the highlights of the first act. She is not only great in her role, but also probably the nicest person I’ve ever met in my life. At the stage door, she stayed for fifteen minutes after everyone else had left to talk to me, my friend, and these three other kids that we had met there. She signed our Playbills and voluntarily gave us hugs before she left, without us even asking. Whatever she’s in next I will have to go see. (She said she has another project lined up for after GYPSY, but she wouldn’t say what it was since it is not official yet.)

Tony Yazbeck was fine as Tulsa. His dancing in “All I Need is the Girl” was unbelievably good. Personally, I feel his role is underwritten, particularly in his relationship with June. I hate how there is no resolution there by the end of the story, as intentional as that may be. Tony did come out of the stage door, but he left immediately. He was seemingly in a hurry to go somewhere.

The three strippers were hilariously perfect. Lenora Nemetz signed my Playbill, and we were talking about trumpet, since I’ve been playing for many years now. She plays extremely well (and LOUD) for having never played before.

The ensemble was very clean and tight. I was impressed with the sound, considering there is never really a full ensemble number. I met Emma Zaks after the show, but I didn’t realize that it was her until the girl standing next to me told me. I thought that was funny. She was basically the only ensemble member who stayed to sign Playbills because she probably thought a) she was entitled to because b) people would recognize her. While neither is true, she was surprisingly a sweetheart, despite how much of a diva she was on MTV.

OVERALL: 4.5 / 5 Stars

(If I have any other thoughts, I’ll edit them in later.)

Updated On: 1/7/09 at 05:03 PM

theminutepast
#2re: GYPSY Review
Posted: 1/7/09 at 5:17pm

When I saw The Producers a couple years ago, I was irritated by the sight line, too. I sat extreme right about five rows from the stage and we could see a crew member pushing the swing for the little old lady song. It was very distracting.

That's funny that Emma Zaks stuck around to sign Playbills. I saw Gypsy last month and she didn't stop to sign. Maybe someone called her over to sign and she just started signing everybody's. I'm one of those inclined to think she isn't as conceited as she was made to look on MTV.

yankee_fan907
#2re: GYPSY Review
Posted: 1/7/09 at 5:26pm

Ironically, my friend just called me because he saw the show again today. He said that Emma was the only person to come out of the stage door after the matinee to sign everyone's Playbill. He thought it was the most hysterical thing ever.

PiraguaGuy2
#3re: GYPSY Review
Posted: 1/7/09 at 5:27pm

The other cast members don't want to be near her because of their rampant anti-semitism.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#4re: GYPSY Review
Posted: 1/7/09 at 5:31pm

Very nice review--I'm really surprised you could see so much backstage. And it's great to know that the cast members were so friendly at stagedoor.

I actually thought Emma Zaks didn't even seem that bad on MTV, in terms of her personality. She seemed a bit forceful, but certainly no worse than any other Elle hopeful, and a lot nicer than several. But I can't really see her as a June understudy.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

PiraguaGuy2
#5re: GYPSY Review
Posted: 1/7/09 at 5:33pm

We mostly make fun of her because of her rabid fan(s...wait, never mind).

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#6re: GYPSY Review
Posted: 1/7/09 at 5:33pm

I saw her at an audition (wouldn't know her if I fell over her) and she initiated a quick chat with me and seemed very sweet. I only found out who she was when the monitor called her name to let her know she was up next.

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#7re: GYPSY Review
Posted: 1/7/09 at 5:35pm

Oh, believe me, I know why she's a joke on BroadwayWorld!

I just wasn't that surprised when I heard that she was nicer in person than the OP expected, since she really didn't seem that bad to me. (Though maybe that's because I didn't watch The Search For Elle Woods until like two months ago and I had terrible expectations...)

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

WishingOnlyWounds2
#8re: GYPSY Review
Posted: 1/7/09 at 5:35pm

The visibility of the wings isn't just in the boxes, I was in the side orchestra, Row D I think and I could see everything going on stage right in the wings as well.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#9re: GYPSY Review
Posted: 1/7/09 at 6:11pm

Nice review!

Glad to hear that Leigh Ann already has another project lined up for after Gypsy. She deserves it! I hope it's another show. Watching her and Laura do "If Mama Was Married" is always a highlight for me too. And yup, she is THE sweetest person ever. So happy that you got to meet her, but really jealous she gave you a hug. No fair! haha

cglaid Profile Photo
cglaid
#10re: GYPSY Review
Posted: 1/7/09 at 6:42pm

Let's hope everything goes smoothly with Leigh Ann's next project. She is so talented and if anyone deserves success on Broadway, it's her. They don't come nicer than Leigh Ann.

By the way, she leaves after every two-show day to walk her dog... something I learned through the interview I did with her over the weekend (thanks to BWW member's questions)... so you should always be able to catch her at the stage door.
Updated On: 1/7/09 at 06:42 PM

yankee_fan907
#11re: GYPSY Review
Posted: 1/7/09 at 6:45pm

Oh, I saw you there on Sunday! I was the guy in the leather jacket. I don't know if you'd remember me; we didn't really talk.
Updated On: 1/7/09 at 06:45 PM

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#12re: GYPSY Review
Posted: 1/7/09 at 6:51pm

I agree about the sight lines. I feel like stage hands should not be able to be seen. I think it take away from the live theater aspect of the shows. It makes you feel like you are JUST watching them perform, you can't escape from reality and go into this live theater world. Also even when they come out during intermission it's annoying, you want to pretend that everything just magically gets into place. That's also why I think there should be intermission curtains for all shows.

Leigh Ann is the nicest person, I hope she comes out on Sunday, if I dare to stage door.

yankee_fan907
#13re: GYPSY Review
Posted: 1/7/09 at 8:45pm

If you stage door, leave half way through curtain calls. You'll get a spot right up against the barricades.

cglaid Profile Photo
cglaid
#14re: GYPSY Review
Posted: 1/7/09 at 9:08pm

I'd imagine the curtain call speech will be the best part. Who would want to leave and miss that? I've been to a few final performances and they are always so heartfelt and great.

Drunk Chita Rivera
#15re: GYPSY Review
Posted: 1/7/09 at 9:12pm

I would much rather applaud Patti LuPone and this wonderful company rather than being pushed up against a barricade to get an autograph I already have. I just wanted to say hello and thank you to Leigh Ann, I can live without Mrs. LuPone's little attitude.

yankee_fan907
#16re: GYPSY Review
Posted: 1/7/09 at 9:23pm

Yeah,I just realized that Sunday is closing, which I knew, but had forgottento take into consideration during my response. I would rather listen to the curtain call speech as well.

legally_popular
#17re: GYPSY Review
Posted: 1/7/09 at 9:32pm

Yeah, the stage door scene on Sunday will be a mob, but there's no way I'm leaving the theater any second earlier and missing curtain call / the speeches. Of course it would be nice to chat with Leigh Ann again, but that's ok. I'm not sure if I even am waiting by the stage door afterwards, but I will have time to do it so I probably will. I'm not concerned with getting autographs (although it would be nice to get my program and/or poster signed) and am dreading being in that huge crowd, so I'll probably just stand back and watch, lol.

Drunk Chita Rivera
#18re: GYPSY Review
Posted: 1/7/09 at 9:36pm

Yeah, I may just try and get my item passed up front to get it signed. I'm in the Mezz near the aisle and right where it separates the front half of the mezz with the back so I am near the door. Hopefully I can get out somewhat before other people.

ThankstoPhantom
#19re: GYPSY Review
Posted: 1/7/09 at 10:34pm

The production uses the actors for scene changes because it's a very old-fashioned-esque staging. The fact that they create their environment is something that is done in theatre quite often outside of commercial theatre. I found it refreshing to see the actors creating their space rather than tracks pushing everything magically to and fro. It was very grounding.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#20re: GYPSY Review
Posted: 1/8/09 at 6:04am

"Laura Benanti is exceptional, though I feel that Little Lamb is a useless and horribly awkward part of the score."

yankee_fan907: I'm sorry that you feel that way about "Little Lamb". For me, and for Jule Styne, that song is a necessary ingredient in understanding Louise's life. Coming after the chaos of "Mr. Goldstone", the song quietly illustrates Louise's confusion as to who she is and what is expected of her. It is poignant to listen to Louise's inner thoughts. It would be more moving if the lamb were real as it has been in all previous Broadway productions. It is as if the lamb is the only one that understands her.

As for Jule Styne's thoughts about "Little Lamb", in his biography it tells of his reaction to Jerome Robbins's attempts to cut the song shortly before GYPSY's opening in NYC. Styne came up on stage at the Broadway Theatre and said, "Mr. Robbins, if you cut 'Little Lamb' from the show I have instructed my lawyers to withdraw my entire score from the show." Jerome Robbins gave in, fortunately.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

PRFRMR20 Profile Photo
PRFRMR20
#21re: GYPSY Review
Posted: 1/8/09 at 6:31am

"She signed our Playbills and voluntarily gave us hugs before she left, without us even asking."

Sorry but, you ask people to hug you???

legally_popular
#22re: GYPSY Review
Posted: 1/8/09 at 7:15am

Very well put, Gypsy9.
I completely agree. I never understand when people say that "Little Lamb" and "All I Need is the Girl" are unnecessary. Sure, they might not be the most exciting songs, but I adore them and feel that they do a great job of developing the characters.

Erin1980 Profile Photo
Erin1980
#23re: GYPSY Review
Posted: 1/8/09 at 8:39am

"If you stage door, leave half way through curtain calls. You'll get a spot right up against the barricades."

When people leave the theatre before curtain call is over, that's one of MY biggest pet peeves. It's so disrespectful.

It's a damn fine day to tell the truth!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#24re: GYPSY Review
Posted: 1/8/09 at 9:46am

And I object when people post "reviews" that review the performers' performances at the stage door.

That's not a review. That's a GOSSIP COLUMN.

/end rant

Videos