Chess in Concert on PBS

#1Chess in Concert on PBS
Posted: 1/12/09 at 12:40pm

Does anyone know when this is due to air?

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#2re: Chess in Concert on PBS
Posted: 1/12/09 at 12:57pm

Is it airing on PBS? I thought it was on BBC.

Holbee
#2re: Chess in Concert on PBS
Posted: 1/12/09 at 1:43pm

Either way...um...could someone get something DEFINITE about this...?

I'm guessing this is last year's Chess with Idina Menzel?

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#4re: Chess in Concert on PBS
Posted: 1/12/09 at 2:08pm

thanks for the info!

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#5re: Chess in Concert on PBS
Posted: 1/12/09 at 2:33pm

Can't WAIT!!! re: Chess in Concert on PBS

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#6re: Chess in Concert on PBS
Posted: 1/12/09 at 3:01pm

AND it will be released on DVD and CD right after the TV showing, for those of us who'll miss it !!! I'm soooo praying for a Blu-ray release !!!!!!

Mattbrain
#7re: Chess in Concert on PBS
Posted: 1/12/09 at 4:35pm

And now my happy dance.

*does the happy dance*

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

NCGuy Profile Photo
NCGuy
#8re: Chess in Concert on PBS
Posted: 1/12/09 at 9:21pm

According to WNET’s site, it’s airing on Great Performances this summer.

On a side note, Idina Menzel’s episode of Soundstage (with Groban as a guest) is airing on PBS this weekend.

WNET Online Pressroom Updated On: 1/12/09 at 09:21 PM

jimmycurry01
#9re: Chess in Concert on PBS
Posted: 1/12/09 at 9:27pm

Just curious, doesn't this concert have a different book than the US concert performed with a similar cast? I thought I remembered the songs being in a different order.

Rotel1026
#10re: Chess in Concert on PBS
Posted: 1/12/09 at 10:04pm

I'm hoping for a blu-ray release too, was disappointed Cyrano was only put out on DVD.

Craww
#11re: Chess in Concert on PBS
Posted: 1/13/09 at 1:49am

It's sad, when I have no prospects of seeing shows any time soon, that I'm actually pretty excited to see this.

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#12re: Chess in Concert on PBS
Posted: 1/13/09 at 5:05am

Just curious, doesn't this concert have a different book than the US concert performed with a similar cast? I thought I remembered the songs being in a different order.

Yes, it's based much more on the London book for the show (with Someone Else's Story added in and some other songs cut), while the Actor's Fund concert in the US was based more on the Broadway version. Lots of things are different, from the song order to the outcome of the final match.

broadwayjim42
#13re: Chess in Concert on PBS
Posted: 1/13/09 at 9:10am

It's the music that matters most anyway. It's always been a great score in search of a decent book.

#14re: Chess in Concert on PBS
Posted: 4/8/09 at 12:15pm

No dates yet?!?!?!

insertclevernamehere Profile Photo
insertclevernamehere
#15re: Chess in Concert on PBS
Posted: 4/8/09 at 1:41pm

June 17th @ 8:00 pm

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention...I'm the good cop, he's the bad cop.

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#16re: Chess in Concert on PBS
Posted: 4/8/09 at 3:20pm

They set a broadcasting date ???? That's great news, so if it airs in June, we can hope for an August DVD (and hopefully Blu-ray) release, right ???

DaNciNgFairy291
#17re: Chess in Concert on PBS
Posted: 4/8/09 at 7:37pm

That June date sounds about right. When I saw Idina in concert, she did say some time in June it would air on PBS.

2009 SHOWS: Spring Awakening - 1/2 Hairspray - 1/2 Mary Poppins - 1/11 Deer Park High School's The Diary of Anne Frank - 1/17 BayWay's The Wedding Singer - 2/7 Pal Joey - 2/11 Deer Park High School's High School Musical (Cathy) - 3/12 - 3/14 Lauren Pritchard and Duncan Sheik Concert - 3/15 Bryce Larsen and Idina Menzel Concert - 3/28 New York City Student Shakespeare Festival (Witch - Macbeth) - 5/1 Shrek - 5/6 Next to Normal - 6/20 Gateway Playhouse's Miss Saigon - 7/19

#18re: Chess in Concert on PBS
Posted: 4/9/09 at 8:55am

Thanks Insert!

kchenofan Profile Photo
kchenofan
#19re: Chess in Concert on PBS
Posted: 4/9/09 at 6:49pm

Thanks! They should give us a date already.

kchenofan's computer is broken right now. This is her fridge. Now, you can leave a message, but say it slowly, so I can write it on a post-it note and stick it to myself.

Storefrontnyc
#20re: Chess in Concert on PBS
Posted: 4/10/09 at 6:20pm

PBS confirmed with me today: June 17, 9 - 11:30. We'll be doing a big screening at the Beechman that night, just as we did for COMPANY. Mark your calendars and join us!

Beechman website

Mattbrain
#21re: Chess in Concert on PBS
Posted: 4/16/09 at 7:30pm

Is there still gonna be a CD?

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#22re: Chess in Concert on PBS
Posted: 4/16/09 at 7:58pm

Playbill now has an article confirming the June 17 national airdate - your local date and time may differ
It is June 17

Videos