pixeltracker

Photos: 'West Side Story' Marquee

cubanpab Profile Photo
cubanpab
#1Photos: 'West Side Story' Marquee
Posted: 1/13/09 at 10:14pm

I was walking home from a gig tonight (thru a very empty Times Square) stumbled across The Palace. I know how much some of you love photos of theater houses and their marquees. I hadnt seen the new 'West Side Story' marquee and couldnt resist firing off a few shots to share with you all. Hope you enjoy them

Apologies if the photos are a bit big. Dont have smaller versions just yet.
Updated On: 1/13/09 at 10:14 PM

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#2re: Photos: 'West Side Story' Marquee
Posted: 1/13/09 at 10:17pm

it looks even better lit up!!!! THANKS!!!!

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: Photos: 'West Side Story' Marquee
Posted: 1/13/09 at 10:17pm

Beautiful photos! The marquee looks great! Thanks for posting!

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#3re: Photos: 'West Side Story' Marquee
Posted: 1/13/09 at 10:26pm

You're a great photographer!

being.jeremiah
#4re: Photos: 'West Side Story' Marquee
Posted: 1/13/09 at 10:58pm

Your photos give the modern touch to this classic take. As always, amazing camera work!

That Groovy Guy Profile Photo
That Groovy Guy
#5re: Photos: 'West Side Story' Marquee
Posted: 1/13/09 at 11:15pm

Kind of bittersweet...surrounded by billboards for shows that have just closed.

"Oh some like it hot, but I like it *really* hot." - Heat Miser

Winston3
#6re: Photos: 'West Side Story' Marquee
Posted: 1/14/09 at 12:29am

Let me start out by saying that those are wonderful photos and that your a great photographer. But, I have always had a problem with The Palace marquee in general, regardless of what show is playing there or how good the marquee for that show is. I have always felt that the marquee for The Palace gets lost in all the billboards for other shows that are surrounding it. I feel like at times it is hard to figure out that that is actually a marquee for the show that is playing at The Palace rather then just another billboard for another show.

For other theatres if you walk by them it is clear what show is playing there based on how the marquee is set up. For The Palace I have the feeling that if you didn't know that West Side Story was going to be playing there prior to the marquee being put up then you might have trouble figuring out that that show is playing in that particular theatre to being with. Of course, if your standing close enough and you see the signs above the awning then you would know that West Side Story is playing there. But, if your looking at the theatre from a few feet away it can be hard to tell. I guess that that could be a problem regardless of what show is playing there. I felt the same way for example, when Legally Blonde was playing The Palace.

Goodbye Sister Disco

Shannon Bo Dannon Profile Photo
Shannon Bo Dannon
#7re: Photos: 'West Side Story' Marquee
Posted: 1/14/09 at 12:32am

Your photos are absolutely stunning! WOW!

I do agree though that it's a cluttered location, but it still looks pretty cool.

Elke Profile Photo
Elke
#8re: Photos: 'West Side Story' Marquee
Posted: 1/14/09 at 1:08am

Awesome pictures, as always! Thanks!

MamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
#9re: Photos: 'West Side Story' Marquee
Posted: 1/14/09 at 7:04am

I agree with you Winston, that something I have thought since they changed the whole frontage.
'Chicago' has a great ad there tho.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#10re: Photos: 'West Side Story' Marquee
Posted: 1/14/09 at 10:57am

Great photos, cubanpab!

I agree the Palace marquee is getting lost in all the other ads around it. There should be some sort of mandatory distance/separator between them. But that would mean giving up valuable ad space, which is not likely to happen.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

MamasDoin'Fine
#11re: Photos: 'West Side Story' Marquee
Posted: 1/14/09 at 11:03am

That bloody McDonalds 'M' shows up in too many pics too!

Pianolin717
#12re: Photos: 'West Side Story' Marquee
Posted: 1/14/09 at 12:04pm

"That bloody McDonalds 'M' shows up in too many pics too!"

YES! And I was deciding between which of these two I wanted for my background on my computer and I chose the second picture, although it wasn't as centered around just the WSS marquee because it didn't have the sign for McDonalds

ohjustjake
#13re: Photos: 'West Side Story' Marquee
Posted: 1/14/09 at 12:48pm

That's what I first thought when I saw those pictures - it's too cluttered. Now that I think about it, the first time I went to the city when Aida was playing there, and I had no idea where it was. I could see all the signs, but I had to ask where the Palace was. They should do something about it because I can't be the only one.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#14re: Photos: 'West Side Story' Marquee
Posted: 1/14/09 at 12:50pm

The producers should invest in buying the advertising spaces where the CHICAGO and YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN ads currently are.

It would look so full and prominent that way.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

ohjustjake
#15re: Photos: 'West Side Story' Marquee
Posted: 1/14/09 at 12:51pm

That's a really good idea - if all 3 billboards said "West Side Story" , it'd be obvious where it was playing.

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#16re: Photos: 'West Side Story' Marquee
Posted: 1/14/09 at 12:54pm

Now that I think about it, the first time I went to the city when Aida was playing there, and I had no idea where it was. I could see all the signs, but I had to ask where the Palace was.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they didn't start selling half of the marquee space until after AIDA closed.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

MamasDoin'Fine
#17re: Photos: 'West Side Story' Marquee
Posted: 1/14/09 at 1:06pm

re: Photos: 'West Side Story' Marquee

...now thats better!

SFJPS
#18re: Photos: 'West Side Story' Marquee
Posted: 1/14/09 at 1:09pm

Amazing to see the many show billboards for the recently closed shows. That entire corner is going to look different - spamalot, grease, hairspray, YF...

ohjustjake
#19re: Photos: 'West Side Story' Marquee
Posted: 1/14/09 at 1:13pm

Hm maybe it was All Shook Up then. I don't really remember what show it was at the time but I remember not realizing it was right in front of me.

Pianolin717
#20re: Photos: 'West Side Story' Marquee
Posted: 1/14/09 at 1:15pm

I think All Shook Up was the last one to fully use two panels

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#21re: Photos: 'West Side Story' Marquee
Posted: 1/14/09 at 1:18pm

Actually, you might be right.

It looks like they started selling marquee space towards the end of AIDA's run.

EDIT: Or maybe sooner:

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."
Updated On: 1/14/09 at 01:18 PM

Insider2 Profile Photo
Insider2
#22re: Photos: 'West Side Story' Marquee
Posted: 1/14/09 at 3:33pm

Looks great. Will look even better when the Young Frankenstein poster next to it goes bye-bye.

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#23re: Photos: 'West Side Story' Marquee
Posted: 1/14/09 at 5:53pm

Thanks for posting those. They are beautiful. (And I was thinking the same thing about YF, Insider2!)

ThankstoPhantom
#24re: Photos: 'West Side Story' Marquee
Posted: 1/14/09 at 10:53pm

Aida used both panels for a time, then split it with another Disney show. All Shook Up used both panels...

I suggest the whole facade should be revamped. The vertical PALACE sign is an awkward place as it is, especially with everything surrounding it at the moment.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

Videos