pixeltracker

Jerry Springer The Musical <------anyone else want it here?

Jerry Springer The Musical <------anyone else want it here?

Megan Marie Profile Photo
Megan Marie
#0Jerry Springer The Musical <------anyone else want it here?
Posted: 1/13/04 at 10:25pm

I think this musical is just fantastic (great score, funny story), but I'm sure many people have different thoughts about it. Does anyone have any idea if its going to come over to Broadway? Its been just amazingly successful in England and I really wish it would get over here.
Tell me what you think about this show, I'm dying to hear everyones comments

cbrown828
#1re: Jerry Springer The Musical <------anyone else want it here?
Posted: 1/13/04 at 10:40pm

i can't wait. will there be jerry beads for auidence member's who flash!

Megan Marie Profile Photo
Megan Marie
#2re: re: Jerry Springer The Musical <------anyone else want it here?
Posted: 1/13/04 at 10:49pm

Its just fantasically hilarious isn't it? I can't wait to see what kind of impact its going to have over here.

DapperDan
#3re: re: re: Jerry Springer The Musical <------anyone else want it here?
Posted: 1/17/04 at 7:35pm

Who does the score to it?

bially082 Profile Photo
bially082
#4re: re: re: re: Jerry Springer The Musical <------anyone else want it here?
Posted: 1/17/04 at 7:58pm

I can do without it

You are young, life has been kind to you. You will learn.

musicalthespis Profile Photo
musicalthespis
#5re: re: re: re: Jerry Springer The Musical <------anyone else want it here?
Posted: 1/17/04 at 7:59pm

OH LORD! I just got back from London a week ago and I saw Jerry Springer: The Opera. I usually like everything I see (I'm just that way), but this was the worst show I had ever seen in my entire life! Sure when you listen to the CD it sounds hilarious. I went all excited to see it, ready to laugh my ass off and I was ready to go to bed by intermission. The book of the show was so poorly written. I wasn't offended at all by the material of the show. I don't think you can be offended by anything if you are going to do theatre. The songs just sang the same thing over again, it was like beating a dead horse. I felt like yelling "Yeah, we know already! Move on with it!" And the performers just weren't good. Jerry has this "warm-up man" that I wanted to knock out. The only good actor was the guy who played Jerry Springer, he hit it right. But Jerry doesn't sing! The single funny moment in the show was when the KKK comes out and tap dances (very poorly, I might add), but I think I missed most of cause I was watching my watch. I went with a group of about 30 people from the states, and we all were about to get up and leave cause it was sooo bad, but we still stay to support the people of our art. I really think it will be a huge flop on Broadway unless they rewrite the book, and add some more lyrics to the songs. Sorry, I talked to much I've just never seen a horrible show like that.

bially082 Profile Photo
bially082
#6re: re: re: re: re: Jerry Springer The Musical <------anyone else want it here?
Posted: 1/17/04 at 8:00pm

Not to be negative or anything, but it'll just be another Taboo. Not gonna work. It better not be looking at the Majestic Theatre either. A better show is in there. I've seen Jerry Springer The Opera. Nothing special in my opinion.

You are young, life has been kind to you. You will learn.

AugustBurns2 Profile Photo
AugustBurns2
#7Jerry Springer The Musical <------anyone else want it here?
Posted: 1/17/04 at 8:04pm

Oh, I can't wait to see the reaction it has when it lands on Broadway! Other than what I've read, I haven't heard the score! I can't wait for a listen. I'm sure it's wickedly witty and hilarious!

Yes, there was a time when I watched Jerry religiously. I know this is sick, but it's true.

Here's to Jerry and the all the poor, stupid people who appear on his show!

myspace.com/robinsparkles

say what?
#8re: Jerry Springer The Musical <------anyone else want it here?
Posted: 1/18/04 at 12:10am

I cannot wait, I am all for sick and twisted fare.

"SUNY Binghamton, yes. I'm sure getting a degree from SUNY Binghamton is very useful. Normally to get a degree with that kind of credibility you'd have to study in Guatemala or Haiti."
Updated On: 1/18/04 at 12:10 AM

JoizeyActor Profile Photo
JoizeyActor
#9re: re: Jerry Springer The Musical <------anyone else want it here?
Posted: 1/18/04 at 12:25am

I think everyone has watched Jerry Springer at least once for one reason or another.

Phantom05 Profile Photo
Phantom05
#10re: re: re: Jerry Springer The Musical <------anyone else want it here?
Posted: 1/18/04 at 12:36am

OMG....I'm not even going to tell you what I think about this show!

------- "We Drink Your Blood And Then We Eat Your Soul, Nothings Gonna Stop Us Let The Bad Times Roll" -------"Past The Point Of No Return, No Backward Glances, Abandon Thought And Let The Dream Begin"

JakeB
#11re: re: re: re: Jerry Springer The Musical <------anyone else want it here?
Posted: 1/18/04 at 5:58am

The funniest night out at the theatre I have ever had. Period.

A19Ben Profile Photo
A19Ben
#12re: re: re: re: re: Jerry Springer The Musical <------anyone else want it here?
Posted: 1/18/04 at 7:52am

i dont know where you got the idea that its a great success in the uk.....that good i heard that they were on for closing it!!!!
which is a good thing they sud have never have taken our house off ! ! !
plus the chipest ticket is £80 and no show is that good....not for all the seats to be that price anyway!!!!

sorry if i come across rude :-#

love Ben x x x

leeinlondon
#13re: re: re: re: re: re: Jerry Springer The Musical <------anyone else want it here?
Posted: 1/18/04 at 8:03am

"Plus the cheapest ticket is £80"

Rubbish - they range from £25 to £50 and if you are under 25 you can get best seats for £25.

I loved the show... very funny and the music is fantastic. There seem to be alot of people here that say they saw it and hated it.. and when you try to discuss it with them it is obvious they have not seen it !! When did you see it Bially082 ?

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#14re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Jerry Springer The Musical <------anyone else want it here?
Posted: 1/18/04 at 11:16am

Well, it's been running for over a year in London sinceit's transfer to the West End, so I don't think it's considered a flop. I'm looking forward to it. I love the recording and I can't wait to see it.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

actorboy
#15re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Jerry Springer The Musical <------anyone else want it here?
Posted: 1/18/04 at 12:06pm

Lee, I saw the show in July at the National. My friends and I did not enjoy it. Other friends who have seen it on separate occasions, both at the National and at its current home in the West End, have had a difficult time understanding how the show got the reviews it did or how anyone could call it groundbreaking.

I'm not saying that the show did not have a clever premise or that some of the music was, on first listening, melodic. It's just that the joke wore thin very quickly, some of the performances were not good, the staging was weak and the show as a whole seemed to have a very pedestrian view of what "outrageous" is. Some of the humor also seemed just plain old ("Talk to the hand cause the face ain't listening" is a tired expression that's never used anymore, for instance).

Humor is a very individual thing. The audience was howling when the tap dancing KKK came out to end the first act. My friends and I sat in silence. The idea might be funny, but there was no cleverness or wit behind it. To me, the laughs seemed unearned.

You might just think that this is an American thing, but British friends have felt the same way.

I very much wanted this show to be everything the critics had said it was. I took my friends to see it and was embarassed (not by the subject matter, mind you, but the quality of what was on stage).

#16re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Jerry Springer The Musical <------anyone else want it here?
Posted: 1/18/04 at 12:35pm

You didn't hear that from me Lee. re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Jerry Springer The Musical <------anyone else want it here? I expressed months ago that I wasn't interested in seeing it while I had been in London. I was wavering then but am now curious to see/hear it.

A colleague saw it in November and liked it but said he doubted it would play here as it did there, and doubts any life to it. He doesn't see the burning cross playing well on B'way.

Succes d'estime perhaps. There are certainly plenty of those these days.

If I had to pick only one to be forced to sit through I'd grab at the chance to go with SPRINGER over CAROLINE from what I've heard and read.

Bulldog

JakeB
#17re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Jerry Springer The Musical <------anyone else want it here?
Posted: 1/18/04 at 1:42pm

some of the performances were not good, the staging was weak

I'd be interested to hear who you thought was weak. Alison Jiear , Michael Brandon and David Bedella have been nominated for Best Actor/Actress in a Musical and the entire ensemble have been nominated for Best Supporting. They're both also well ahead in an English website vote.

Also, how else do you stage the Jerry Springer Show on stage? Updated On: 1/18/04 at 01:42 PM

actorboy
#18re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Jerry Springer The Musical <------anyone else want it here?
Posted: 1/18/04 at 2:24pm

I respect the fact that all is subjective and that different people have different tastes.

I was simply answering Lee's post and I've said pretty much all that I want to say (and I don't post negative comments about individual performers).

Suffice it to say that I am not surprised that the show is receiving many nominations, considering the reviews it got.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#19re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Jerry Springer The Musical <------anyone else want it here?
Posted: 1/18/04 at 5:16pm

I've never found word-of-mouth that reliable. The Producers is a huge hit, yet not one person I personally know who has seen it, liked it. A couple of them left at intermission. Some are musical fans, and some are not into theatre so much at all.

I thought Jerry Springer sounded like a horrible and disgusting idea until I forced myself to listen to it. It's currently one of my favorite recordings. But then I am well aware that shows that sound great on CD may not work as well on stage (Istarted a thread about that last month). The Broadway production might be restaged as well, so it could be improved (or worsened). Either way, I would still go see it. If they don't make any drastic changes in the score, I think it could easily win a Tony.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#20re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Jerry Springer The Musical <------anyone else want it here?
Posted: 1/18/04 at 5:19pm

I want it here. I'm tired of shows being attacked before they are even seen/have the chance to open.

BrdwyThtr Profile Photo
BrdwyThtr
#21re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Jerry Springer The Musical <------anyone else want it here?
Posted: 1/18/04 at 5:40pm

I'm curious to hear the score. I'm pretty sure they'll re-write the book, just like they've been doing with everything.

leeinlondon
#22re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Jerry Springer The Musical <------anyone else want it here?
Posted: 1/18/04 at 6:12pm

It is so wierd to hear people say I loved the recording but the book was weak.. it is a COMPLETE recording.. grin.. it is 99% sung through and the whole show is on the two CDS...

I have only seen the show once but it was a real audience pleaser when I was there.. everyone wandered out intio the night laughing and smiling wearing their Jerry pins...

It is deeply critical of the talk show culture and I think that grates a bit with many US visitors..

I have no idea what shape it is in now but at the time at the national it was a great fun night out.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#23re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Jerry Springer The Musical <------anyone else want it here?
Posted: 1/18/04 at 7:03pm

Book does not equate dialogue. Dialogue is only part of the book. The structure of the musical is the book. =)

leeinlondon
#24re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Jerry Springer The Musical <------anyone else want it here?
Posted: 1/18/04 at 7:08pm

But the definition of book does not explain people saying they loved the recording but on seeing it found the book weak !! It is all there on the CDs...

Videos