pixeltracker

So it wasn't THAT bad ... Guys and Dolls, 3/25, 8 p.m.

So it wasn't THAT bad ... Guys and Dolls, 3/25, 8 p.m.

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#1So it wasn't THAT bad ... Guys and Dolls, 3/25, 8 p.m.
Posted: 3/26/09 at 12:44am

I feel like I should preface this by saying that this revival of Guys and Dolls is truthfully not very good. Really it isn't even average.

That being said, it wasn't the disaster I was expecting. In short, I just don't think it was THAT bad.

What WAS that bad: Oliver Platt and Lauren Graham. I mean, I understand they want stars in these roles, but in reality, these aren't superstars or anything. They certainly could have found an equivalent (and really actors who were bigger stars) that could have done much, much better. I wouldn't call them awful singers, but they were pretty bad. But it was their acting that was really horrendous.

I'm not really familiar with Graham, but I know that Platt can act. But they were both so awkward and their voices/accents would change haphazardly. Platt was definitely the worse of the two. He just felt so awkward up there: the way he moved, the way he held himself, the motions he made with his hands. He reminded of this awkward kid I did drama with in high school in every way (I wish you knew him, because the similarities are uncanny). Graham was not as awful, but not too far off. I think two better actors in these roles could have really improved the production significantly.

Tituss Burgess was a total bore as Nicely, Nicely Johnson. It's usually my favorite role of the film, and he just felt totally lifeless. "Sit Down You're Rocking the Boat" is typically my favorite song as well, but it was so bland. Until it goes gospel. That was the one of the few moments that really felt fresh and vitalized (the other major one would probably be the "Crapshooters Dance").

Mary Testa has received a lot of credit, and she is very good for the most part. The only thing she did that I didn't like (honestly I HATED this) was when she did the devil horns and started slapping her butt. Too much. Though the blame for this more than likely falls on McAnuff.

But now the good thing. McAnuff is able to do the impossible: he made Sky and Sarah more fun and interesting than Nathan and Adelaide (and Nicely, Nicely). I thought Bierko was great. His singing wasn't anything outstanding, but I thought his acting was really great and his comic timing was excellent. The scene where he goes into the mission for the first time was the first moment that I actually smiled during the show and it got three good laughs out of me.

I thought Kate Jennings Grant was the perfect Sarah. She captured all aspects of the part perfectly and her singing was excellent. She's really beautiful too (can't believe she?s nearly 40!). I hope they're both in Tony contention. And they deserved top billing.

The sets were alright, nothing spectacular. The lighting was kind of gross. It was just a bunch of bright flashing colors. As for the projection? Why is that even necessary? And couldn't they have at least gotten graphics that didn't look like they were part of some program on Windows 95? The whole Damon Runyon character was at least mildly interesting, but really totally unnecessary.

Guys and Dolls is one of my all-time favorites. While this was still a massive disappointment (heck I've seen high school productions of it that were stronger), this still had some redeeming qualities that salvage it from being a complete disaster.

Updated On: 3/26/09 at 12:44 AM

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#2re: So it wasn't THAT bad ... Guys and Dolls, 3/25, 8 p.m.
Posted: 3/26/09 at 12:47am

Totally agree on Testa. I thought she was absolutely vulgar.

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#2re: So it wasn't THAT bad ... Guys and Dolls, 3/25, 8 p.m.
Posted: 3/26/09 at 1:32am

This is one of the greatest shows ever written. I've seen blind people (okay "vision-impaired) do this show and turn it into a masterpiece. The fact that it is on Broadway, in a major revival and you have to say "It wasn't that bad"...

...is very bad.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

thetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
#3re: So it wasn't THAT bad ... Guys and Dolls, 3/25, 8 p.m.
Posted: 3/26/09 at 1:36am

G-d, how I miss the Jerry Zaks production. Those Tony Walton sets were scrumptious!

TheCharleston Profile Photo
TheCharleston
#4re: So it wasn't THAT bad ... Guys and Dolls, 3/25, 8 p.m.
Posted: 3/26/09 at 1:44am

If you want to see an example of how you can completely screw up a close-to-perfect musical, then go see this revival.

Casting was terrible and uninspiring... projections were atrocious and distracting... the idea to insert a Damon Runyon character is pointless and foolish.... and the blocking/stage direction reminds me of a middle school "Schoolhouse Rock" performance.

Best things about this? The orchrestra (with beautifully revised arrangements/orchestrations) and the dancing (I love the Craphshooters Dance).

Such a shame! But thanks for the review, Talkin. You clearly missed the same disaster that I saw less than two weeks before you!

aliciag Profile Photo
aliciag
#5re: So it wasn't THAT bad ... Guys and Dolls, 3/25, 8 p.m.
Posted: 3/26/09 at 7:36am

I definitely agree with you in saying it wasn't THAT bad. This was my first time seeing G&D on stage so I don't really have anything to compare it to but I could tell it could have been so much better. The worst part for me was Oliver Platt. I don't know how to describe it other than he was just extremely awkward in the role. Graham was ok and could sing, but she too had some really weird acting moments. Most of the fault I think goes to the direction. I thought the projections were really unnecessary. I hated the idea of having Damon Runyon as a character. Whenever I saw him I just kept saying WTF!

I got standing room which I thought was fine and I don't necessarily regret going, but the production was definitely disappointing.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#6re: So it wasn't THAT bad ... Guys and Dolls, 3/25, 8 p.m.
Posted: 3/26/09 at 9:05am

Do they have a window card yet?

BillFinn Profile Photo
BillFinn
#7re: So it wasn't THAT bad ... Guys and Dolls, 3/25, 8 p.m.
Posted: 3/26/09 at 9:12am

it was THAT bad.

I don't blame any of the leads. The thing is every single actor on that stage is in a completely different play. They are all making active choices, but the problem is they don't go together at all. Even right down to Mary Testa's small role. And the sets? REALLY!? Those were horrible. If Des McAnuff walked right up to me and said "Our concept was the jackpot machine," then I would be more willing to forgive.

Bill Finn rocks. Woot.

hmpeterson Profile Photo
hmpeterson
#8re: So it wasn't THAT bad ... Guys and Dolls, 3/25, 8 p.m.
Posted: 3/26/09 at 11:01am

"McAnuff is able to do the impossible: he made Sky and Sarah more fun and interesting than Nathan and Adelaide"

Is that really a tribute to McAnuff or is it due to the fact that the poor casting decision of Nathan and Adelaide has made Sky and Sarah stand out and be the interesting couple of the two. If Platt and Graham are really as bad as people have reviewed them to be, it wouldn't be hard for Bierko and Jennings Grant to really shine.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#9re: So it wasn't THAT bad ... Guys and Dolls, 3/25, 8 p.m.
Posted: 3/26/09 at 12:44pm

Best things about this? The orchrestra (with beautifully revised arrangements/orchestrations) and the dancing (I love the Craphshooters Dance).

For once, we agree on something.

I saw the show on SAturday night. Kate Jennings Grant and Craig Bierko were walking through it like they were half asleep. snore. I feel like they could've had the potential to be much better.

Graham and Platt were OK. They weren't great but I was inclined to like them more for the simple fact that they seemed more into it than the other two.

Tituss Burgess is just... awkward.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#10re: So it wasn't THAT bad ... Guys and Dolls, 3/25, 8 p.m.
Posted: 3/26/09 at 12:47pm

McAnuff is able to do the impossible: he made Sky and Sarah more fun and interesting than Nathan and Adelaide (and Nicely, Nicely).

I doubt that was intentional.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

bwayguy22089
#11re: So it wasn't THAT bad ... Guys and Dolls, 3/25, 8 p.m.
Posted: 3/26/09 at 8:15pm

I agree. I really think it's the direction that fails in this production. Oliver and Lauren are awkward on stage, but I don't think it's entirely their fault. I also have to agree that Craig and Kate are WONDERFUL actors with very pleasant voices. The orchestrations, costumes and choreography are wonderful as well re: So it wasn't THAT bad ... Guys and Dolls, 3/25, 8 p.m.

BillFinn Profile Photo
BillFinn
#12re: So it wasn't THAT bad ... Guys and Dolls, 3/25, 8 p.m.
Posted: 3/26/09 at 10:53pm

I think I'm the only one who had a problem with Kate Jennings Grant. Her voice was immaculate. Her beauty is incredible. The thing about her Sarah Brown is she's a *itch right from the get go, you know? She's a force to be reckoned with. She's fierce. She's a white Beyonce. She tells Sky off; it is powerful enough to physically force him back away from her. And then they make out.

So, I saw no journey in her Sarah Brown from strict Mormon school girl to modern woman. She already got to that point in her first scene with Sky. And I wanted to see that transition come in Havana.

Bill Finn rocks. Woot.
Updated On: 3/26/09 at 10:53 PM