Anita understudy in WSS

zamedy
#1Anita understudy in WSS
Posted: 3/30/09 at 12:41am

My friend and her husband saw WEST SIDE STORY Saturday night (8pm performance) and said the only understudy was for the role of Anita. I apologize that I don't know the name of the actress, but my friend said she was wonderful... not the strongest singer but apparently a great actress and an AMAZING dancer. Great to hear.

I'm surprised there'd be an understudy for one of the lead roles so early in the show's run. Maybe Karen was sick or had another engagement? The show's only been officially open a little more than a week.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#2re: Anita understudy in WSS
Posted: 3/30/09 at 12:47am

The weather is foggy and wet and chilly right now.

Ole Chum
#2re: Anita understudy in WSS
Posted: 3/30/09 at 12:58am

whose her understudy? given the reviews, those are mighty big shoes to fill.

i thought karen sounded kinda hoarse on tv friday morning so maybe she just came down with something?

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#3re: Anita understudy in WSS
Posted: 3/30/09 at 1:06am

Hola, mi nombre es Yanira Marin y yo soy la 'understudy' del papel de Anita.

re: Anita understudy in WSS

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#4re: Anita understudy in WSS
Posted: 3/30/09 at 1:13am

Eso es una tonteria

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#5re: Anita understudy in WSS
Posted: 3/30/09 at 1:48am

She was in the show today. She didn't sound hoarse anymore. Pamela Otterson was on for Anybodys, and while she is a very talented performer... she just didn't do it as Anybodys. She used a squeaky cartoonish voice, which didn't fit the character. The show is a lot more tighter than it was in early previews, and the Jets (Including Matt as Tony) were a lot more believable, in my opinion.

Updated On: 3/30/09 at 01:48 AM

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#6re: Anita understudy in WSS
Posted: 3/30/09 at 9:15am

meh

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#7re: Anita understudy in WSS
Posted: 3/30/09 at 12:40pm

Alena Watters is the standby for Anita.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

JenNYferTheatrical Profile Photo
JenNYferTheatrical
#8re: Anita understudy in WSS
Posted: 3/30/09 at 1:07pm

Alena Watters is the standby for Anita.

But has been removed from the Equity board and was not on this weekend. Anyone know what's happened there?

dancingthrulife04
#9re: Anita understudy in WSS
Posted: 3/30/09 at 1:10pm

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler
Updated On: 3/30/09 at 01:10 PM

dancingthrulife04
#10re: Anita understudy in WSS
Posted: 3/30/09 at 1:10pm

Strange. She only joined the cast two weeks ago.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#11re: Anita understudy in WSS
Posted: 3/30/09 at 6:17pm

Ljay, you meant that Karen Olivo was in today or that the understudy was in?
I can't imagine they would put in Pamela to do any role but Graziella, she's just wonderful in the part. Her dancing is sublime. The girl who plays Anybodys (can't recall her name) was really great the time I saw the show.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#12re: Anita understudy in WSS
Posted: 3/30/09 at 7:17pm

Karen was in yesterday, Sunday. She sounded great. Yeah, Tro who usually plays Anybodys is wonderful. It was probably Pam's first time on for the role, she wasn't terrible, she just needs to find a new voice for the character.

Conor2
#13re: Anita understudy in WSS
Posted: 3/31/09 at 12:39am

Pamela's been on at least one other time...in previews.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#14re: Anita understudy in WSS
Posted: 3/31/09 at 12:41am

Well she really needs to find a new voice for the character, then she will be a fine understudy for the role.

Videos