standing ovations?

andsym9001
#1standing ovations?
Posted: 4/21/09 at 6:27pm

Which actors/actress recieve standing ovation normally at a performance when they first appear? Who does and probably shouldn't? And who doesnt but probably should?

Here I Am Profile Photo
Here I Am
#2re: standing ovations?
Posted: 4/21/09 at 6:32pm

Nowadays people sepend so much money for tickets they stand at everything to convince themselves that they enjoyed it even if they didn't. I can't remember a show where people haven't lept to their feet... except for Hedda Gabler lol.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#2re: standing ovations?
Posted: 4/21/09 at 6:37pm

Wait, do you mean like when they set foot on stage? I'd hope NOBODY because that would be WAY too distracting to everyone. Even entrance applause can be distracting.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

bwaylvsong
#3re: standing ovations?
Posted: 4/21/09 at 6:38pm

I've never seen a SO for an entrance, but Audra, Patti, and Bernadette came very close.

yay_gerb Profile Photo
yay_gerb
#4re: standing ovations?
Posted: 4/21/09 at 6:45pm

Lin manuel miranda got one at his last show from a lot of people but other than that I don't think I've seen anyone get one just for walking on stage.

BROADWAY IMPACT!
TAKE ACTION! EQUALITY!
http://www.broadwayimpact.com/

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#5re: standing ovations?
Posted: 4/21/09 at 7:06pm

August 19, 2007 - For the final performance of "Deuce," which begins with a curtain rising and Angela Lansbury and Marian Seldes sitting right there. It was supposed to be Angela's final Broadway performance. The whole house leapt to its feet and clapped for about 90 seconds, easily, and tears trickled down Angela's face. The less inhibited among us cheered. I'll never forget it. At first I thought it improper to stand upon the curtain rising but then I realized what the hell and did so as well. I certainly concur.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

Updated On: 4/21/09 at 07:06 PM

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#6re: standing ovations?
Posted: 4/21/09 at 7:23pm

At the last performance of Gypsy, there was a standing ovation for Patti's entrance.

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#7re: standing ovations?
Posted: 4/21/09 at 7:38pm

^ Are you sure? I was there. I remember crazy, thunderous applause, but did everyone stand? Mind you, I was up at the tippity top of the theater, so that might have something to do with it.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#8re: standing ovations?
Posted: 4/21/09 at 7:41pm

I was in the balcony and couldn't see much, but you're probably right, not EVERYONE was standing.

viola13
#9re: standing ovations?
Posted: 4/21/09 at 7:56pm

At Adam Pascal and Anthony Rapp's first show when they returned to Rent Summer 2007, they got a SO from the majority of the audience when they walked on stage. And there was a SO on Rent's closing night when the whole cast came onstage.

broadwayboy522
#10re: standing ovations?
Posted: 4/21/09 at 8:45pm

Standing ovations for entrances only usually occur at last performances, if that. It's not usually a unison standing ovation, just a few people, but once again it's usually only at like last shows or special occasions.

lull89 Profile Photo
lull89
#11re: standing ovations?
Posted: 4/21/09 at 8:53pm

I'm pretty sure the majority of the audience at the "pep rally" for [tos] leapt to their feet when Hunter and Jeff came on (which was kind of impressive since that was in a blackout). Possible exception: Norm Lewis, who I was sitting next to (apologies for name dropping. I didn't actually talk to him, just sat next to him), did not really take part in most of the spontaneous ovations that night. I think it was kind of uncomfortable for him.

andsym9001
#12re: standing ovations?
Posted: 4/21/09 at 11:10pm

i think mostly everyone stood for patti at the last performance. i was in the front mezz and it looked like the majority were. I guess i should have said big appluases and such when they first set foot on stage because last performances are really the only times ive seen it and sometimes not eve then.

shpants Profile Photo
shpants
#13re: standing ovations?
Posted: 4/22/09 at 9:10am

When I was at Gypsy (not the last performance) there was huge thunderous applause when Patti entered...and I wouldn't say a full SO but there were definitely a handful of people that jumped up.

"You see, I told you so! There's lots of things I know. 'Ponine, she knows her way around."
Updated On: 4/22/09 at 09:10 AM

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#14re: standing ovations?
Posted: 4/22/09 at 9:20am

I don't see it much except for at special performances like last shows.

At [tos] last show there was a long SO at the beginning and throughout the show. It was lots of fun and a great night.

The last show of GYpsy Patti got numerous SO. They all lasted a LONG time.

For Lin at his last show.

Rent last show. At Season of Love the whole theater got up and clapped along to the song, it was incredible.

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#15re: standing ovations?
Posted: 4/22/09 at 9:27am

Going back many many years ... at the performances I attended, Ruby Keeler got a SO on her entrance in No No Nanette and Kate Hepburn got a SO on her entrance in Coco.

Videos