pixeltracker

Drama Desk Nominees list?- Page 2

Drama Desk Nominees list?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#25re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 10:52am

Let's not forget, A CATERED AFFAIR led the nominations last year.....and we know what happened with the Tonys.

The Tonys don't really follow the Drama Desk.

ROAD SHOW should have taken STORY OF MY LIFE'S place for Outstanding Musical.
And Sondheim should win Best Music and Lyrics.
Updated On: 4/27/09 at 10:52 AM

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#26re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 10:58am

And why is N2N a lock?

Um, did you read the reviews? Remember that love letter that Brantley wrote that was just one of many rave reviews the show got? Yeah...

And as for 9 to 5, it's very possible that it will get mediocre reviews, but I guarantee it will still be nominated for Best Musical. When has the late-entering blockbuster musical of a season (even if it's not that great) not been nominated for the Best Musical Tony? I mean, look at Cry Baby for god sakes. It got panned by newspapers and still got Tony nominations.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#27re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 11:07am

Great list!

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#28re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 11:09am

And why is N2N a lock?

You're an idiot if you don't think Next to Normal is a lock for a nomination in the Best Musical category.

Putting aside the mostly rave reviews (specifically Brantley's), it's an original, daring, American musical for adults.

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#29re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 11:11am

really? 13: outstanding lyrics? bahahahahaha

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#30re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 11:23am

I am so happy for all the love for "9 to 5." Plus, the fact that all three leading women were nominated makes me smile.

But the best news of the day are the nominations for "The Story of My Life" for Best Musical, Music, Lyrics, and Book. All well-deserved. Congrats to Neil Bartram and Brian Hill. Can't wait to see another show of yours very soon.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#31re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 11:24am

Soooo, Rock of Ages has offically lost it's chance of being nominated for the Tony, right? Really, not a SINGLE nomination?

Did it ever have one?

A work of art is an invitation to love.

massofmen
#32re: Drama Desk Nominees list?

i love that if i think something won't get a tony nomination I am now "an idiot"
didn't ROA get a love letter from Isherwood too? So by your rationale if ROA didn't get a nomination then whoever thought they wouldn't is an "idiot"..right?

perfectliar
#33re: Drama Desk Nominees list?

Did anyone else notice that reasons to be pretty is the only Broadway play nominated in the Best Play category?

No God of Carnage, 33 Variations, Irena's Vow, etc.

Speaking of Irena's Vow, I can't believe Tovah wasn't nominated after all the raves she received on this board.

And I was glad to see JRB nominated for 13.

broadwaybaby086
#34re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 11:30am

I'm extremely happy to see Elizabeth Marvel and Fifty Words nominated. That was a brilliant theatrical experience.

"I'll cut you, Tracee Beazer!!!! ...Just kidding. I'd never cut anyone." -Tina Maddigan, 9/30/06, WS stage door
Avatar: JULIE "EFFING" WHITE, 2007 TONY WINNER. Thank God. I'm thinking about legally changing my name to Lizzie Curry...

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#35re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 11:36am

Did anyone else notice that reasons to be pretty is the only Broadway play nominated in the Best Play category?

Technically that was off-Broadway this season as well. I know they didn't specify which production was being nominated for Best Play (as they did for Pablo Schreiber), but seeing as the award goes to the playwright, I don't think it really matters. What a great year for off-Broadway plays.

GimmeABreak2
#36re: Featured Actors
Posted: 4/27/09 at 11:38am

Outstanding Featured Actor in a Play:
Brian d'Arcy James, Port Authority
Jeremy Davidson, Back Back Back
Peter Friedman, Body Awareness
Ethan Hawke, The Winter's Tale
Pablo Schreiber, reasons to be pretty (Off-Broadway)
Jeremy Shamos, Animals Out of Paper

In terms of trying to gauge the Tonys, am I correct that all of these are off-broadway productions??

Wanna Be A Foster
#37re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 11:38am

broadwaybaby086, I'm also thrilled about the recognition for Elizabeth Marvel in FIFTY WORDS. That show was INCREDIBLE!

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

Wanna Be A Foster
#38re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 11:39am

GimmeABreak2, yes, those are all Off-Broadway plays.

-Kad

fetzles1490
#39re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 11:44am

I'm especially happy for all the Story of My Life nods! And I second Fifty Words!

Ole Chum
#40re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 11:51am

did they recognize Janet McTeer and ignore the rest of that brilliant cast?

interesting they singled out Pablo Schreiber from the off-bway production of reasons to be pretty... ignored him (and everyone else) in Desire under the Elms, and the rest of the supporting reasons cast.

overlooking god of carnage and irenas vow like that sorta undermines the credibility of this list...

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#41re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 11:54am

I am also very happy for Elizabeth Marvel. FIFTY WORDS was an excellent show.
Updated On: 4/27/09 at 11:54 AM

Wanna Be A Foster
#42re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 11:55am

Ole Chum, have you seen all (any?) of the Off-Broadway shows that took the places of the Broadway shows you're mentioning?

The Drama Desks view Broadway, Off-Broadway, and Off-Off-Broadway shows on the same level.

Just because a show is great and on Broadway doesn't mean it is more deserving of a nomination if there are better shows Off-Broadway to take those slots.

-Kad

GimmeABreak2
#43re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 12:00pm

Thanks, WBAF...that's really interesting, I wonder who the Tonys will go for in featured!

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#44re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 12:02pm

Some interesting tidbits about nominations this year in the official press release:

"Next to Normal was considered last season...Under Drama Desk rules only new elements in a transfer can be considered. The producers, who requested that we consider the Broadway transfer only as an entirely new show, refused to invite nominators until it was too late for any new elements to be evaluated." I suppose one of these "elements" would be J. Robert Spencer.

"Only one actor playing Billy in Billy Elliot was seen by all nominators, who were not invited to see the other two for consideration unless the Drama Desk Executive Board agreed to classify all three separate performances as one unit for Outstanding Actor in a Musical. The Board rejected that request, as well as a request that as an alternative no actor playing Billy be considered." So I guess that means they only saw one Billy...don't know which...and considered him in the lead actor category and obviously, he did not get a nomination.

Anyway, I'm fairly pleased with the nominations...thrilled that Arthur Laurence did NOT get a nomination, very happy for Will Swenson's nomination...the only snub that really surprised me is the lack of any nominations for Joe Turner.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

LTinOregon Profile Photo
LTinOregon
#45re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 12:04pm

A total shame the Billys weren't even considered for the Drama Desk Award just for bureaucracy. I just can't believe everyone from Billy is nominated for this award, except the Billys, upon whom the entire shows relies.

SirNotAppearing55
#46re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 12:05pm

Was Dividing the Estate also ineligible?

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#47re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 12:05pm

Much more on-spot than the OCCs but um...where are the Billys?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#48re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 12:06pm

Good for Bryce Ryness for being recognized for Hair!

But, on a whole, this doesn't give us a whole lot of ideas as to what the Tonys will do, since the nominations are heavy with Off-Broadway productions and can't even consider N2N, an obviously strong contender.

But I do wonder if this will at all affect how the Tonys decide to nominate the women of 9 to 5.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#49re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 12:10pm

Happy for Liza.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!