pixeltracker

Phylicia Rashad begins performances tonight...

Phylicia Rashad begins performances tonight...

Morgaine885
#1Phylicia Rashad begins performances tonight...
Posted: 5/26/09 at 1:04pm

...in August: Osage County.

I'm not sure why, but I'm so excited to see her...I think she's going to be really awesome.

Loved the piece in the Times this weekend...http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/theater/24Lee.html And she looks GORGEOUS!!!

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#2re: Phylicia Rashad begins performances tonight...
Posted: 5/26/09 at 1:08pm

This is either going to work brilliantly or be a total disaster.

BwayBoundJoe Profile Photo
BwayBoundJoe
#2re: Phylicia Rashad begins performances tonight...
Posted: 5/26/09 at 1:29pm

How long is she in the show? I'm seeing it on August 22nd and I would love to see her in it.

Formally Stews_Bitch::: Shows in the 2010 Season for me. 101 Dalmations tour - Jan 24th, Xanadu Tour - Mar 9th and 10th, Wicked - May 14th, Legally Blonde - June 12th:::::::Upcoming - South Pacific, Young Frankinstein (Two Cities) Rock of Ages (Two Cities) Shrek (3 Cities) Les Mis, DreamGirls, Spring Awakening, Color Purple, and 9 to 5!

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#3re: Phylicia Rashad begins performances tonight...
Posted: 5/26/09 at 1:33pm

Her last performance is August 23rd, so you just made it.

BwayBoundJoe Profile Photo
BwayBoundJoe
#4re: Phylicia Rashad begins performances tonight...
Posted: 5/26/09 at 1:36pm

Nice! Thanks frogs_fan85. :)

Formally Stews_Bitch::: Shows in the 2010 Season for me. 101 Dalmations tour - Jan 24th, Xanadu Tour - Mar 9th and 10th, Wicked - May 14th, Legally Blonde - June 12th:::::::Upcoming - South Pacific, Young Frankinstein (Two Cities) Rock of Ages (Two Cities) Shrek (3 Cities) Les Mis, DreamGirls, Spring Awakening, Color Purple, and 9 to 5!

hpeabody930
#5re: Phylicia Rashad begins performances tonight...
Posted: 5/26/09 at 7:44pm

bump.

can't wait to see how this turns out....

A Grey Spring Profile Photo
A Grey Spring
#6re: Phylicia Rashad begins performances tonight...
Posted: 5/26/09 at 8:15pm

I am very eager to hear how this goes... if well, I'll try to make a visit to the Music Box over the summer months

heo1128
#7re: Phylicia Rashad begins performances tonight...
Posted: 5/26/09 at 8:22pm

Oy. As I've said before I just don't see how this is going to work out. But best of luck to her, I suppose!

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#8re: Phylicia Rashad begins performances tonight...
Posted: 5/26/09 at 11:37pm

Looking forward to hear from the people who saw her tonight!

Word from the company during her rehearsal process was that she was extraordinary.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 5/26/09 at 11:37 PM

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#9re: Phylicia Rashad begins performances tonight...
Posted: 5/26/09 at 11:37pm

No one here has seen it yet? I figured someone would be rushing in by now to tell us how awful this was.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

#10re: Phylicia Rashad begins performances tonight...
Posted: 5/26/09 at 11:46pm

have some faith. don't be rude and discouraging. perhaps she was wonderful. you have no idea.

heo1128
#11re: Phylicia Rashad begins performances tonight...
Posted: 5/26/09 at 11:52pm

I don't doubt that Phylicia is fantastic, but it's the casting decision that I'm criticizing. The fact that she's an African American completely changes the undertones of the play. For starters, there's NO WAY there would be an interracial couple in the middle of Oklahoma.

Doogie Profile Photo
Doogie
#12re: Phylicia Rashad begins performances tonight...
Posted: 5/27/09 at 12:16am

Really, truly an UNBELIEVABLE performance. I say this as a HUGE fan of Amy Morton, but she was possibly eclipsed by Ms. Rashad tonight. It may be the greatest performance I've ever seen in a straight play.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#13re: Phylicia Rashad begins performances tonight...
Posted: 5/27/09 at 12:19am

Wow, that's great to hear. This play is so strong, nice to see Rashad is giving the part her all.

or starters, there's NO WAY there would be an interracial couple in the middle of Oklahoma.

That's a pretty ridiculous statement. The main part about the play's themes that become somewhat undermined when you cast a black woman as Vi is the presence of Native Americans and the comments Letts is making about the relationship between whites and Native Americans.
Either way, really great to hear good things about Rashad.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#14re: Phylicia Rashad begins performances tonight...
Posted: 5/27/09 at 12:21am

guettboy, my comment was sarcastic in nature - I wasn't deriding Rashad's talents, but expecting negativity on the part of others.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#15re: Phylicia Rashad begins performances tonight...
Posted: 5/27/09 at 12:32am

Would love to hear more from those who saw her!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#16re: Phylicia Rashad begins performances tonight...
Posted: 5/27/09 at 12:47am

What does it matter what color her skin is?

Seriously, it's 2009: What does it matter what color her skin is?

pattilupuppy Profile Photo
pattilupuppy
#17re: Phylicia Rashad begins performances tonight...
Posted: 5/27/09 at 12:49am

Thank you PalJoey thank you!

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#18re: Phylicia Rashad begins performances tonight...
Posted: 5/27/09 at 12:55am

Since I like to eschew political correctness, I'll put it this way - it's THE STAGE. She's an ACTRESS. She uses MAKEUP. It's an ILLUSION. It's THE THEATRE.

Jazzysuite82
#19re: Phylicia Rashad begins performances tonight...
Posted: 5/27/09 at 12:56am

LOL This is America. Apparently it always matters. Beh Rashaad looks half native american in the pics actually. I can't WAIT to see this. This role is gonna become the coveted role for established actresses. I guess a good meaty role for a woman over 50 is kind of a rarity.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#20re: Phylicia Rashad begins performances tonight...
Posted: 5/27/09 at 1:40am

This is going to be like the Fiath Prince Little Mermaid thread. 100 reviews from people who haven't even seen the show.

Doogie Profile Photo
Doogie
#21re: Phylicia Rashad begins performances tonight...
Posted: 5/27/09 at 1:49am

I saw it.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#22re: Phylicia Rashad begins performances tonight...
Posted: 5/27/09 at 1:52am

Sorry Doogie. Lost your point in all the assumptions. Glad you enjoyed her.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#23re: Phylicia Rashad begins performances tonight...
Posted: 5/27/09 at 7:54am

What does it matter what color her skin is?

That's like saying Coalhouse Walker Jr. doesn't have to be black in Ragtime. She's supposed to be racist!!!! It's in the freakin' script. How can she be prejudiced against people of color if she is of color herself? I am sure she is giving a wonderful performance, but her casting still doesn't make sense.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#24re: Phylicia Rashad begins performances tonight...
Posted: 5/27/09 at 8:04am

I agree bjh2114. I have no problem with color-blind casting IF it doesn't add subtext or change an entire aspect of a character as this does. For me, I suspect it would pull me too far out of the story, even if I made up a story in my head to make it make sense as this has happened before with another show.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!