pixeltracker

Karen Olivo Out of "West Side Story" Tonight- Page 5

Karen Olivo Out of "West Side Story" Tonight

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#100re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 12:28pm

<< but that sarcastic post indicates...he's actually mad at karen olivo for being sick? is that possible?
>>

Yes, he is ... (At least that is the way that I took it)

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#101re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 12:31pm

Thanks for putting words in my mouth, testing, but I am not, in fact, mad at Karen for being sick.

I'm not sure any of you will ever understand my love for this show and this revival...but if you did, you would all comprehend why I was upset about this.
Updated On: 6/10/09 at 12:31 PM

Ole Chum
#102re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 12:35pm

youre sounding like youre mad at karen for calling out. and that you would have preferred she showed up and performed anyway. and that not only would you have preferred this, but this was the right thing for her to do.

thats all disturbing.

being upset to go see a show because you love a certain performer and being gutted because fate had other plans... fairly reasonable.

stick to the latter, id say.

Testing1232
#103re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 12:36pm

Nice try, Wat.... (see your post below...)

I am "PUTTING WORDS IN YOUR MOUTH" ???? -- are you kidding---? I could have cut and pasted around 5 other posts from you since last night-- I chose only one- You were obviously mad at her, and its ridiculous.

WAT << Believe me, I know my statement was harsh, testing. I was very mad that she wasn't there (and I still am).

Of course people lose their voices all the time...did it have to be Karen's voice on June 9th though???

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#104re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 12:39pm

This is getting good...

re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Testing1232
#105re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 12:41pm

<< I'm not sure any of you will ever understand my love for this show and this revival...but if you did, you would all comprehend why I was upset about this.
>>

There are a ton of people on the boards that love certain shows, and see them a number of times. (I am one of those people) -- However, I dont think that you can compare being passionate about a show to flipping out because a lead was out.

You are trying to justify being mad because Karen was out by stating your love for the show?

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#106re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 12:46pm

In those quotes, WAT isn't saying he is mad at Karen. He was just mad. You would think a theatre message board would be a place someone could turn for empathy. We all know WAT lives and breathes theatre (sometimes with a terrifying devotion, but a devotion nonetheless) and at this point do any of us need to keep poking at him. He's not a monster, just empassioned. To him, seeing Karen first show post-Tonys, in a show he loves, is his version of Superbowl Sunday. He's going to be a little indignant when she is out, because that is who he is. WAT is fierce supporter of theatre and puts his $$$ where his mouth is. While at times he can irritate us with his passion and venom (if he doesnt like a show), I know he is not deserving all of this negativity. He is a true patron of the arts.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Testing1232
#107re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 12:50pm

<< In those quotes, WAT isn't saying he is mad at Karen. He was just mad. You would think a theatre message board would be a place someone could turn for empathy. We all know WAT lives and breathes theatre (sometimes with a terrifying devotion, but a devotion nonetheless) and at this point do any of us need to keep poking at him. He's not a monster, just empassioned. To him, seeing Karen first show post-Tonys, in a show he loves, is his version of Superbowl Sunday. He's going to be a little indignant when she is out, because that is who he is. WAT is fierce supporter of theatre and puts his $$$ where his mouth is. While at times he can irritate us with his passion and venom (if he doesnt like a show), I know he is not deserving all of this negativity. He is a true patron of the arts. >>

Betty--- I have met WAT, a number of times, and he is a great guy... That being said, the posts last night do not come across as being upset or disappointed because Karen was out.

The general feeling is that he was mad AT her, and carried it over to the next day, which is really not worth it.

Like I said before.. we are all very lucky to be healthy enough, and have the resources to enjoy these shows.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#108re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 12:55pm

Testing, we all know WAT, so therefore we should understand him. Let him feel what he wants, he will move past it. Harping on him and pulling it apart is futile. Who cares if he says he is mad and still is the next day. Its how he operates. Plenty of dudes I work with are still "sore" over their team losing the Superbowl for weeks after. It's all about the fervent nature of the fan. Can't we all just make room for each other and not needle.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#109re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 1:12pm

"Mad" being the operative word.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

Testing1232
#110re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 1:30pm

<< Can't we all just make room for each other and not needle. >>

I am ALL for that !! However, that needs to be practiced and preached.... There is something to be said about disliking a show, and something else to be said when you trash the fans of the show that you didnt like.

WithoutATrace
#111re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 1:38pm

So it all comes back to my comment about the ROCK OF AGES fans, does it??

Thank you, Bettyboy, for understanding my passion for theater and why I would be upset over the fact that I didn't get to see Karen as Anita last night.

I would also like to state again for the record that I am not mad at Karen for being ill (if in fact she was ill enough not to go on)...I am mad because she was not present at the theater last night.
Updated On: 6/10/09 at 01:38 PM

Testing1232
#112re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 1:48pm

<< So it all comes back to my comment about the ROCK OF AGES fans, does it??
>>

Actually, I wasnt even thinking about that (as funny as it might have been !!--- I was basically referring to the general attitude of the boards, and people that can (or cant) understand why people like or dislike a show. To each their own-- basically the point I was trying to get across.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#113re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 1:52pm

To truly practice "to each their own" you need to learn to ignore posts that bother you or offend your sensibilities and not respond to them. WAT only bothers those who allow themselves to be bothered. I personally like sparring with him or telling him to pipe down once in a while. Keeps life interesting. :)

WithoutATrace
#114re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 1:55pm

Ok, sorry for the misunderstanding. No big deal.

But I agree with what you last posted. Why is it so hard for people to understand that I LOVED this WEST SIDE STORY revival and that I thought Matt Cavenaugh did an excellent job as Tony? We are all entitled to our own opinions, right?

CukorLover Profile Photo
CukorLover
#115re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 2:14pm

to quote Joan Crawford as portrayed in Mommie Dearest : "I'm not mad at YOU, I'm mad at the dirt."

WAT is just about Next To Normal with this latest outburst.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#116re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 2:24pm

Blaxx, care to share the popcorn?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Testing1232
#117re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 2:26pm

Lovin that pic--- the guy reminds me of Jefferson Mays !!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#118re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 2:35pm

We are all entitled to our own opinions, right?

You're entitled to yours. Am I entitled to mine?

WithoutATrace
#119re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 2:58pm

Absolutely, PJ. You are worship HAIR and hate WEST SIDE STORY as much as you want. It won't change my opinion of the two shows...

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#120re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 3:06pm

Here, love.

re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

WithoutATrace
#121re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 3:34pm

Can I have some popcorn? It's my party! (and i'll cry if i want to)

SporkGoddess
#122re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 5:01pm

Dude, you're allowed to feel whatever emotion you want. Don't invalidate someone's emotions. Of course, that doesn't mean one needs to act on those emotions, but I hardly think venting on a message board is the worst thing ever.

Btw, for the people who said that it's okay to be disappointed but not angry: anger's a secondary emotion that is usually masking another emotion. Probably the primary one in this case is disappointment. So, really, it's the same thing here.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#123re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 8:52pm

Karen out again tonight- I really hope she's ok! (Josefina out too.)

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#124re: Karen Olivo Out of 'West Side Story' Tonight
Posted: 6/10/09 at 8:53pm

She must be really sick.