News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The Raúl E. Esparza "Spread the Love" Thread, Part Four- Page 106

The Raúl E. Esparza "Spread the Love" Thread, Part Four

Chrysanthemum62001
#2625The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 2/25/10 at 8:25pm

This has gotta be for some character. Perhaps for film or tv, but it's very John Wilkes Booth.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

misschung
#2626The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 2/25/10 at 9:06pm

They look painted on in that Broadway Backwards pic, heh.

His hair is very gelled these days. I like it. I forget how good looking he is until all these new pictures pop up!

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

wonkit
#2627The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 2/25/10 at 11:19pm

And more on Monday!

ElphieDefiesGravity Profile Photo
ElphieDefiesGravity
#2628The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 2/28/10 at 12:49am

Oh! My eyes!!
That is the worst thing I've ever seen! Raul, please, get rid of the mustache.

"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

Wishes come true, not free.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#2629The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 2/28/10 at 12:52am

Hahah, I love you.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

wonkit
#2630The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 2/28/10 at 10:49am

Could it be for the Sondheim thing in April? A song from Assassins? Do we have to put up with the look until then?

I keep hoping (against hope) that he will do "Franklin Shepherd Inc." at some Sondheim event.

misschung
#2631The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 2/28/10 at 10:53am

Mutter mutter mutter mutter yes, Jerome mutter no, Jerome

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#2632The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 2/28/10 at 4:57pm

Raul performing The Man That Got Away at Broadway Backwards last week. The poster says it's a horrible video. It's not great, true, but it's far from horrible and the sound is excellent. I, for one, am grateful to have it. The  Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Broadway Backwards 2010

Sarcasm is an allergic reaction to stupid people.

luvtheEmcee
#2633The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 2/28/10 at 5:03pm

This performance of it didn't have the spark last year's did, IMO, but he does sound great, doesn't he? (And oh, that orchestra!)

Updated On: 2/28/10 at 05:03 PM

Chrysanthemum62001
#2634The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 2/28/10 at 5:15pm

Thanks for posting that. He sounds lovely. Such a perfect song for him.

I think I know what you mean, Em. This was park and bark. And it doesn't seem to have all the subtext to the plot of the song Raul, being the actor he is, brought in last year.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

luvtheEmcee
#2635The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 2/28/10 at 5:23pm

I hate to say this, but it was just a little like, "Yup, I'm here, singin' this song, okay, cool, I'm done, see ya." It was fine, and obviously he sounded excellent, but it didn't have the power it had when he sang it at Miscast.

Updated On: 2/28/10 at 05:23 PM

wonkit
#2636The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 2/28/10 at 7:09pm

He sounds great but I see what you mean about the difference in intensity. This sounded like a lounge singer doing a workman-like job with an old standard. At MISCAST, he gave it all the power and poignancy that Judy Garland delivered.

luvtheEmcee
#2637The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 2/28/10 at 7:34pm

Maybe it was the mustache getting in the way.

Hest882 Profile Photo
Hest882
#2638The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 3/1/10 at 12:32am

Heh. That *is* one atrocious mustache. The boy still is a tad fashion-challenged.

Chrysanthemum62001
#2639The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 3/1/10 at 3:42am

I wouldn't say he's fashion challenged.

And that mustache is definately for a character.

Hey, I just realized Raul isn't going to be nominated in one of the Tony categories this year. That's kind of sad. I always look forward to him being up for a category because it brings a special anticipation to the evening for me. Though I'm sure it will be a welcomed break for him.

Updated On: 3/1/10 at 03:42 AM

wonkit
#2640The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 3/1/10 at 10:31am

It is about time they put him in a tux and made him a presenter. He did very well hosting the Kander and Ebb thing last spring, and was comfortable talking to the audience during the Lucie Arnaz concert at the 92nd Street Y.

luvtheEmcee
#2641The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 3/1/10 at 10:57am

I was thinking that since he's not going to be eligible for a nomination this year, he might get to present. That'd be pretty cool. I mean, those little speeches are scripted and you don't need any special skills other than being someone people will recognize, but it would be neat.

Miscast day, whee!

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#2642The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 3/1/10 at 2:34pm

He's not high profile enough to be considered for presenting the Tony telecast. They'll drudge up every Hollywood star who ever appeared in a high school drama club production, but actual Broadway stars? No.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

luvtheEmcee
#2643The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 3/1/10 at 3:43pm

They always have a few non-household names presenting, although I can't argue that they should have more people who are more active in the theater community than they do. I could see him being one of the handfull. Or there are always the pre-telecast awards. The  Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four Though it think Michael Cerveris and Julie White should do those every year.

wonkit
#2644The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 3/1/10 at 3:47pm

Cerveris and White were SO good that I almost enjoyed the pre-telecast more than the "main show."

Chrysanthemum62001
#2645The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 3/2/10 at 2:28am

I'm so excited Raul sang Talk Amongst Yourselves at Miscast. If a certain performance pops up somewhere could someone please post a link? I'm terrible at finding stuff like that.

luvtheEmcee
#2646The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 3/2/10 at 2:58am

Oh it was so good, I was reduced to expletives. I hope someone filmed it.

spidey_88 Profile Photo
spidey_88
#2647The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 3/2/10 at 10:13am

Even though I've got it on DVD, it warms my heart to see that Company is available for Instant Watch on Netflix.

"I Googled myself and I paid the price, oh boy. I had to make a pact with myself to stop. My manager used to tell me ... 'Don't click pain!'" - Raul Esparza

luvtheEmcee
#2648The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 3/2/10 at 11:13am

Oh good, now I can watch it without even getting out of bed. The  Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four

wonkit
#2649The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 3/2/10 at 12:16pm

And the beard is gone, God love him!

Videos