News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The Raúl E. Esparza "Spread the Love" Thread, Part Four- Page 107

The Raúl E. Esparza "Spread the Love" Thread, Part Four

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#2650The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 3/2/10 at 2:09pm

Ahah, no it's not. It is present with a vengeance!

Go team: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzFkBMw55aU

A work of art is an invitation to love.

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#2651The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 3/2/10 at 2:13pm

I'm at work, so I don't have the ability to trim the header and footer off the pic, but this is from last night:

The  Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four

Sarcasm is an allergic reaction to stupid people.

andi1235
#2652The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 3/2/10 at 3:31pm

There's also this. No one mentioned he sang TWO songs!! :)

"Where is the Warmth" from "The Baker's Wife"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQrEQsT8eas

luvtheEmcee
#2653The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 3/2/10 at 3:49pm

Well! Hello mustache.

Ah, nobody posted a full song list on the main board, did they? I thought someone was logging tweets and they got the whole thing. Sorry! Where Is the Warmth was also really beautiful. I hadn't known the song but it is lovely.

bestinshow2 Profile Photo
bestinshow2
#2654The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 3/2/10 at 4:39pm

I showed a coworker this picture of Raúl 'con bigote' and she responded: "is that for a role or does he think used car salesman/child molester is a good look for him?"

ROFLMAO.

"My name's Lenny. What's yours?"

Chrysanthemum62001
#2655The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 3/2/10 at 4:42pm

Love Talk Amongst Yourselves. I can't believe he did it in that key! Thanks for posting that.

Emcee, I highly suggest getting The Bakers Wife if you are unfamiliar with the show. The music is so beautiful, and there's just something about Patti LuPone on that recording. Also, there's a song on there I've been dying for Raul to do for ages.

Can't get over that mustache! It's a character in itself!

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

luvtheEmcee
#2656The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 3/2/10 at 6:18pm

I will definitely check it out! I know a few of the songs but that's it.

Lol, bestinshow. Soon I think I might have nightmares about that thing.

misschung
#2657The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 3/3/10 at 9:19pm

The  Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

luvtheEmcee
andi1235
#2659The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 3/9/10 at 12:22pm

Ooooooooh! I love Stephen Schwartz - and maybe we'll get a reprise Defying Gravity - or a duet would be pretty great. The YouTube video of Raul doing that song is in my top ten performances of his, despite the poor quality of the video itself! I would LOVE to hear it sung live!

Bostongal Profile Photo
Bostongal
#2660The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 3/9/10 at 4:35pm

I just subscribed to 3 shows at the NYCO in order to get a ticket to the Stephen Schwartz event. You can purchase tickets to two shows for as little as $12.00 each and then pay $81 for a premium seat for the Schwartz. Since single tickets don't go on sale until September, this seemed a good way to lock in the seat!

I don't believe that less is more. I believe that more is more. I believe that less is less, fat fat, thin thin, and enough is enough. Mark Hampton

wonkit
#2661The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 3/11/10 at 3:36pm

Bostongal - thanks for that tip! I followed in your footsteps. And New York City Opera is struggling so I did a good deed for them at the same time.

andi1235
#2662The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 3/11/10 at 3:55pm

Hey, quick question for all you Raulites. :)

I bought the Company DVD (months ago, actually), but I have been mildly disappointed in one thing. I like watching things with subtitles or closed-captioning turned on, especially things that are word or lyric-heavy. When Company was broadcast on PBS I turned the captions on my tv, and both my husband and I liked being able to read along with the lyrics. However, the DVD has no captions or subtitles. The  Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four

So, I'm wondering if anyone here happened to TIVO this when it aired, and still has it. I know how to extract closed captions from a video file, but none of the videos I've seen online have the information anymore, and there are no caption files to be found.

I know this is a HUGE longshot, but I figure it's worth asking - and if anyone on the internet would still have their original TIVO recording of Company saved, I figure it's one of you! I work with deaf and hard-of-hearing people, so I'm more aware of captioning issues than most people, but I don't understand why PBS chose to not include the captioning on the DVD, when they already had them all ready to go. The  Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four

luvtheEmcee
#2663The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 3/11/10 at 7:10pm

I would contact PBS and see if there's a way you can get the captioned version for them. Particularly if you'd be using it for something related to your job, I should think they'd be pretty good about helping with something like that. Worst case, if you just want the words so you can read along, the libretto is published, and the printed version is pretty close to the revival script.

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#2665The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 3/17/10 at 12:54pm

Raul is doing "Anyone Can Whistle" at Encores. YAY!! More Sondheim!
Raul Esparza to Join

Hest882 Profile Photo
Hest882
#2666The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 3/17/10 at 1:00pm

I'm surprised it took so long. Interesting that the rumors were true. Oh well; I forgot to buy tickets when single tickets went on sale and when I rememberd to check there was nothing decent left. Guess that saves me a trip to NYC this spring!

andi1235
#2667The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 3/17/10 at 1:09pm

Ooooooh! As usual, wish I could go... The  Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four Hope you all enjoy!!

wonkit
#2668The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 3/17/10 at 1:29pm

Does this possibly explain the mustache?

I don't know ANYONE CAN WHISTLE at all, so I will have to listen to the cast recording. Now I am doubly glad that I picked up a ticket when Murphy came on board.

luvtheEmcee
#2670The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 3/17/10 at 8:15pm

I don't know much about the show, but I'm so happy. I don't have tickets yet, I'll have to get on that. Donna Murphy being in it makes me worry that I've waited too long. I'm going to the final dress, but I think I might like to see it more than once.

Chrysanthemum62001
#2671The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 3/18/10 at 1:00am

I knew it.

Yup, the mustache is appropriate for this, though I don't know why he would have felt the need to try it on so early. But hey, it could be much worse. I will never forget the wig Michael Cerveris wore for Anyone Can Whistle at Ravinia. Yikes, is all I'm sayin.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#2672The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 3/18/10 at 11:38am

There is a surpisingly good, detailed plot synopsis of Anyone Can Whistle on Wikipedia. Spoilers are included, so be warned. The  Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Wikipedia

Perfectly Marvelous Profile Photo
Perfectly Marvelous
#2673The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 3/18/10 at 3:08pm

I want to see this, but it may interfere with West Side Story rehearsals. Which stinks, because the last time I saw Raul perform was in '07. But the ticket prices aren't really too bad, and if I can find a way, I'll sneak it into my schedule.

"I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and dreamer of improbable dreams." - Doctor Who

"Yes, the brutalities of progress are called revolutions. When they are over, men recognize that the human race has been harshly treated but it has moved forward." - Les Miserables

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#2674The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 3/18/10 at 9:17pm

Here's an interesting little thing I just found.
YoungArts

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#2675The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 3/18/10 at 9:18pm

Here's an interesting little thing I just found.
YoungArts

Chrysanthemum62001
#2676The Raul E. Esparza 'Spread The Love' Thread, Part Four
Posted: 3/18/10 at 11:24pm

The whole time I watched that I kept hearing him say "This is what I sucked at".

Videos