News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

13 - Insulting and Amaturish.- Page 6

13 - Insulting and Amaturish.

thesondhead Profile Photo
thesondhead
#125re: 13 - Insulting and Amaturish.
Posted: 9/17/08 at 6:27pm

You can't go to 13 expecting high art. You will be disappointed and think the show is stupid.

It would be like going to Mamma Mia! and expecting the book to be good.

"I am a camera with its shutter open, quite passive, recording, not thinking...someday all of this will have to be developed, carefully printed, fixed." - Christopher Isherwood

sgv123
#126re: 13 - Insulting and Amaturish.
Posted: 9/17/08 at 7:31pm

i enjoyed the show as well. I agree that things need to be fixed, but it was a fun night at the theater.

defyinggravity42694 Profile Photo
defyinggravity42694
#127re: 13 - Insulting and Amaturish.
Posted: 9/17/08 at 7:44pm

Oh, TooDarnHot, I'm in a Talented Writing class, I keep a dictionary one me, I know better than to go to thesarus.com. Also, if you think my posts are so nauseating why do you keep responding, if you know I'm just going to respond with more.

Why would you be an intellectual "13" fan too if you don't like the show?

Mawkish... wow.

Goodbye

StephenSondheimWHOO Profile Photo
StephenSondheimWHOO
#128re: 13 - Insulting and Amaturish.
Posted: 9/17/08 at 10:25pm

I am really suprised that everyone is bashing it so much. I saw it last night and loved it. It has some work to do, especially on the cringeworthy act one finale, but overall I really enjoyed it. I am probably around the target age group (I'm in 9th grade) but I'm no stupid tween wicked fan, I've seen over 100 broadway shows. While it wasn't totally truthful, I did like how it wasn't some watered down HANNAH MONTANA disney show. I thought the book was funny, their were some really great oneliners in there.
I am a huge Jason Robert Brown fan from Parade and the Last 5 Years (By the way, I met him during intermission and he was so nice) and the show is very different from his other works and not QUITE as amazing, but the score really was very strong. Some of the songs were great, and have been in my head all day ( 13, What it means to be a friend, Bad, Bad, News, Tell Her, Oppertunity, Lamest Place in the World, A little more homework, were all great)
The cast was incredibly talented, with a few exceptions, Brett can't sing but is a great dancer. Most of the cast were true tripple threats. Allie Trimm, who plays Patrice, has a beautiful voice, and her songs are some of the highlights. The girl who played Lucy I can definetly see becoming a star, she has a great voice, can act and has a real presence. The boys who play Brett's two friends were hysterical, "Bad Bad News" was so funny.
I know the show isn't brilliant or high art, but I think it is a really good show that is true to the teenage expierence for the most part. My whole family loved it, including my 17 year old brother who gets dragged to many-a-musical and ussually hates them, he already wants to see 13 again. I think they have some kinks to work out during previews, but it could be a hit if it finds the right audience. I do hope it doesn't become the new Wicked though, becuase I don't think my ears could handle more of that amount of shrieking

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#129re: 13 - Insulting and Amaturish.
Posted: 9/17/08 at 11:49pm

Saw the show tonight. I actually thought it had some potential, so long as they dump the megamix at the end and cut a chorus or two. Otherwise, there is some tremendous talent onstage, able to be relatable without being precocious or schmaltzy. JRB does do some very nice songs, and it's nice to hear youngsters bringing them to life.

HOWEVER...

The biggest problem with this show seems to be the uncredited re-write by Don Rickles! The fact that these are supposed to be 13 year olds reciting groan-inducing Catskills schtick is shocking and totally pulls you out of the story. What 13 year old is going to say something like "He's like a Scientologist, except not in the closet." WTF? A lot of it was really off-colour and while it shouldn't be completely sterilized, I think if they want to keep the adults comfortable in seeing this show with their kids, they need to work on that book.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

NGD2225 Profile Photo
NGD2225
#130re: 13 - Insulting and Amaturish.
Posted: 9/17/08 at 11:53pm

That joke really seems OFF. Like something you have to think about.

JohnMs2 Profile Photo
JohnMs2
#131re: 13 - Insulting and Amaturish.
Posted: 9/20/08 at 5:32am

Last I heard, no "real" changes were made as of yet.
But again, the only solution to avoid further embarasment is to close this bomb.

wicked_beast4 Profile Photo
wicked_beast4
#132re: 13 - Insulting and Amaturish.
Posted: 9/20/08 at 8:33am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Wow, close minded imbecile...

"He found something that he wanted, had always wanted and always would want— not to be admired, as he had feared; not to be loved, as he had made himself believe; but to be necessary to people, to be indispensable." -F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise
Updated On: 9/20/08 at 08:33 AM

bwaybud
#133re: 13 - Insulting and Amaturish.
Posted: 9/20/08 at 12:05pm

That is not true, major changes are being made every day. I saw the show again and there were staging changes, book changes, excess space cut out. Its getting there, let it go through the process.

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#134re: 13 - Insulting and Amaturish.
Posted: 9/20/08 at 12:40pm

So hypocritical, Wicked_Beast.

You're just as bad... the other way around. You're a closed-minded Schiler.

wicked_beast4 Profile Photo
wicked_beast4
#135re: 13 - Insulting and Amaturish.
Posted: 9/20/08 at 12:48pm

And you're a snarky, crude, insulting little cretin. Shall we continue?

"He found something that he wanted, had always wanted and always would want— not to be admired, as he had feared; not to be loved, as he had made himself believe; but to be necessary to people, to be indispensable." -F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise

TooDarnHot Profile Photo
TooDarnHot
#136re: 13 - Insulting and Amaturish.
Posted: 9/20/08 at 12:55pm

Oh, well we COULD make it personal.

I was speaking strictly of your cracked out obsession with this piece of SH*T.... "13"...
Updated On: 9/20/08 at 12:55 PM

JohnMs2 Profile Photo
JohnMs2
#137re: 13 - Insulting and Amaturish.
Posted: 9/27/08 at 5:03pm

So wait, Xanadu is closing, Legally Blonde is closing,
Title of Show is closing...

And this piece of.. is still running?
And now they also cut the only bearable song in the show?
Laughable.

This is a new low for Broadway.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#138re: 13 - Insulting and Amaturish.
Posted: 9/27/08 at 5:06pm

Your a new low for this board.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

WishingOnlyWounds2
#139re: 13 - Insulting and Amaturish.
Posted: 9/27/08 at 5:06pm

Your a new low for this board.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

NGD2225 Profile Photo
NGD2225
#140re: 13 - Insulting and Amaturish.
Posted: 9/27/08 at 5:10pm

You have been here for 2 days. You have NO idea how low we can get here.

jake6970
#141re: 13 - Insulting and Amaturish.
Posted: 9/27/08 at 5:34pm

Saw this last night and LOVED IT. So much fun.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#142re: 13 - Insulting and Amaturish.
Posted: 9/27/08 at 6:03pm

I joined two days ago, but I was reading threads long before that.

NGD2225 Profile Photo
NGD2225
#143re: 13 - Insulting and Amaturish.
Posted: 9/27/08 at 6:11pm

Then you would know that, that was NO WHERE as low as people here can get.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#144re: 13 - Insulting and Amaturish.
Posted: 9/27/08 at 6:16pm

I was being sarcastic and said that as a play off on his post. I didn't think I needed to clarify that. Sorry.

broadwayfan3
#145re: 13 - Insulting and Amaturish.
Posted: 9/27/08 at 6:23pm

I agree with the title of this thread-

There are jokes about terminal illnesses and it points out the worst of all steriotypes! I love a funny show-but to me this show is THE most "insulting and amaturish" show I have seen in a long time.

I understand how SOME might find the jokes funny, but either you love the jokes or you hate them-if you find the fact that a child could die any day funny, then you will laugh when they tell the jokes about the possiblitly of Archie droping dead any minute. Also, another problem is that if you have very religious or very opinionated people in the audience, they might not enjoy the show.

I think the show has a lot of work, which could be rather bad because the show freezes within the next week-I personally think that the show is lucky it's opening on Broadway-and I don't think that it'll be running for long-but everyone is entitled to their opinion, and this is mine (and a lot of other people's...)

"Bitch I don't know your life"-Andre Ward, Xanadu

SillySara Profile Photo
SillySara
#146re: 13 - Insulting and Amaturish.
Posted: 9/27/08 at 6:50pm

i went to the show last night, expecting to hate it. but honestly, i thought it was fun and the song "it can't be true" is still in my head. true, it's not groundbreaking by any means...but if you want to go to a show to have a couple laughs and see a cute, little story, then i think 13 is perfect for that.

would also like to mention that i thought eric m. nelsen (brett) was a real stand out. he had stage prescence to boot and knew how to work the theatre. and (spoiler alert, i guess) when he came out and tapped at the end, i was truly impressed.

on the negative side of things, i thought that "hey kendra" was too cheesey, even for me (and i am not ashamed to admit that i love cheese) and made me feel like they were trying a bit too hard. i also obviously saw it after a lot of the cuts had been made...there being no intermission and apparently some of the songs being cut out. i can't imagine the show being any longer than it was last night.

is this jrb's next big hit? probably not. but it was a fun attempt at getting kids in the theatre (there were two nine year old girls dancing away during the encore-precious) and having actual kids on the stage. so bravo to that.

srgan2
#147re: 13 - Insulting and Amaturish.
Posted: 9/28/08 at 11:09pm

what a bunch of cry babys..i've seen this show and found it to be quite good. if you see this show and are looking to come away with some deep emotional life changing experience this show ain't it folks. but if you want to leave the theater having enjoyed watching actors on stage having fun entertaining you and that the music the songs and dances are performe by teens you leave any technical deficienties real or perceived on the theater floor. if you don't believe that teens act or talk this way or don't feel the emotional conflict expess on that stage you haven't been around teens lately. if you really want to know if this show is any good or not you should go to the teens sites and see what their saying about it. these producers have tapped into market with unlimited potentional."build it and they will come" field of dreams
Updated On: 9/28/08 at 11:09 PM

Videos